Really freaking out about childcare, I am totally stuck......

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
I go back to work 3rd Feb, I've had my letter to sign and send back to work.

BUT, I cant get childcare :(.......current nursery LO goes to cannot take the baby till the start of April, and can only take DD 2 days a week........I HAVE to go back 36 hours a week - so 4 full days and one half - but really for child care will be 5 full days.

I was looking at a nanny, but OH says no as he does not want to be paying for the child care then of course the extra oil and electric etc on top of the £10 odd an hour(I see his point kinda as its only £3.50 pr hour at nursery!)
I've contacted EVERY nursery local and only ONE had gotten back to me.......i've called to be told to email, so I email then no bloody reply :growlmad::growlmad::growlmad:.........The one that did reply sent me enrolement forms but mentioned nothing about availability so I asked them and they cant do it!

There is just one nursery I have not tried, but the problem there is that i would be driving 7 miles further away from work....and in snow it would be impossible to get to and then to work (country roads unless I take the 20 mile round the main roads)

If I dont go back we are -£300 a month........I have to go back........I vent even afford to take unpaid leave :( and MIL is not an option as she gets a replacement knee on the 15th January!

Im so stressed i've consumed more alcohol in the last 3 days than I have the whole of last year :(, and ive got to fork out for my sisters hen dos, and then my dress for that as well..............im freaking out...

Are there no Childminders local? You don't mention them.

I'd look into childminders, or even a nanny until you get sorted

If it was me, is rather take an extra month or two off until I got my child are sorted. You won't be able to concentrate at work if you are not happy with childcare. I know that's easier said than done though. I really feel for you x

Are you returning after ordinary maternity leave or additional? If you've not had a full year yet I'd extend your mat leave slightly while you sort it out. You'll be out of pocket but if you don't have childcare you have no option really. Or if you can hire a nanny quickly then do that as a temporary solution (depending on which of these two options leave you more out of pocket).

It sounds like there are still some options for nurseries that haven't responded yet? We found that they can take a while to respond sometimes but not an issue for us as we've got time. Try calling again and explaining you need to talk to someone urgently - they probably don't realise you're looking for a place that's starting in a month as most applications probably go in months in advance.

Like a pp said have you also looked at childminders? And re distance to childcare - if work is a long way don't forget to try childcare facilities close to work as well as close to home. My lo's nursery is in the same building as my office (but an unconnected business) so she comes in the car with me to work every day - it's several miles away but doable.

Keep your boss in the loop as well so they can be prepared for you having to extend your leave if that becomes the case.

Good luck.

I would drive round the nurserys and speak to people face to face. Also are there any childminders. Failing that could you stay off until april?

There is one childminder locally - I need to try and get in contact with her again as she said she couldnt advise until I was literally going back to work.
I start work at 8am and finish at 4:30, so I have to drop the kids off at 7:30am latest - thats prob going to get me into work for aout 8:15 if I am lucky (im 24 miles from work, first 20 miles take 20 mins, the next 4 take 20-30 most days!), and same for getting home, so I am hoping that I can get away prompt as then I will be home/ in this area for about 5:30 to collect.

Its a pain having to wait till next Monday to even hear from any of the nurseries :(. Ive got 4 to chase up, one is on the way to work, 2 I would be able to take them to if I take OH to the bus - and he could collect them from there in the evenings if he gets dropped off. I have thought of the nursery beside his work, but then when DD starts school it means that if OH gets DS at 5:15, then bus is 5:30 then they get to inverurie at 6:15 and I would pick them up after I get DD from after school.

I know it seems daft given the urgency that I am thinking ahead but I had wanted to avoid passing them round folk :(.

I am loath to use a local agency as thats going to cost us £25 PER voucher per month to use our childcare vouchers and its £13 an hour for a nanny :(. But then if I dont go back we are screwed....

Can't you just do a nanny until you can get them in? You'll just have to tell OH it's the only option.

what about a live in au-pair? do you have a spare room?

It's so annoying we are having a similar problem we could only get into a nursery that's abit of a drive and wanting to put youngest in too but really want a closer one, as I don't drive.
What about a childminder that is near your work? X

It's so annoying we are having a similar problem we could only get into a nursery that's abit of a drive and wanting to put youngest in too but really want a closer one, as I don't drive.
What about a childminder that is near your work? X

I think this might be an option. OHs friends mum is a childminder beside my work parctically, but I did ask her if she would take DD and never got any contact back from her.

I just hate that the last month when I am meant to be spending time with the kids I am stressing about this!! No childminder would give me any info sooner than 2 months before I was going back, they all said they cant say :(. Its 8 weeks to leave the nursery so need them to take DS all week and DD Tues, Thurs and Fri - until she leaves.

Only issue with it not being near work is that she will not get funded nursery time from the start April, but thats only 3 months.

Once she starts school it will be SUPER fun as the before school club is from 7:30am, so I am going to have to ask again to lower my hours I think. I might have to do that now come to think of it, and they arent going to like it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->