REALLY LONG, arrival of Jacob, 25/5/09, 9lb4oz,bleh!

fantastica

Mum.
Reaction score
This is very late...but only recently joined! Not yet written this...or even spoken about it in detail, so it might not make much sense...tbh don't remember half of it myself. I'm aware there are a lot more traumatic births...but it felt pretty bad to me! This is also EXTREMELY LONG, so don't mindif no-one reads..need to get it out!

Started feeling a bit 'odd' on the evening of 24th May (was due on the 20th), byy 5am of the 25th May, contractions seemed to have started, they were about 5 minutes apart until about 10am where they were 3minutes apart, can't really remember what time I went to hospital...around 1pm I think, with my OH, mum, aunty and his mum...everyone apart from OH left!

Had planned on having a water birth with as little pain relief as possible! Don't remember how many cms I was dilated when I got there, but they said i'd gotten pretty far a long whilst at home and could go in the pool. Was in there for quite some time. Eventually the mw asked me to get out so she could check how things were going, especially as my waters hadn't broke yet. Nothing had improved. The mw gave me some gas and air and they gave me some food (curry lol). After a little while she decided to break my waters, and see if anything would improve (this was 6pm), was using gas and air by this point. Found this pretty awful, but just wanted it to be over! The whole time at hospital the contractions were 2mins apart and VERY strong! The mw and my OH persuaded me to have an epidural...eventually gave in, which took some strain away. Still didn't dilate anymore, so was put on a drip.
The shifts then changed over and we had the male midwife Andy! The epidural ran out and he decided not to top it up. They then did another examination and part of my uterus (or something!) was over LO’s head, so they pulled it back over somehow. They then couldn’t tell which way LO was facing (turns out he was sideways!). After checking LO’s heartbeat etc. they realised he’d become distressed, so they had to speed things up. They went to get the doctor as I needed a C-section..but it was too late when she arrived.

So the room was full of people (this was about 11pm)...3 mws, a paediatrician, two docs and a trainee. They put me in stirrups, cut me (ouch!) and attached a ventouse to the baby’s head, and told me I had to push NOW and get the baby out or he could be hurt :(. Kept pushing (all this time the doctor was telling me I wasn’t pushing, and that this wasn’t the time for screaming or crying...urm then when is?). They told me the head was out and just one more massive push and it’d be over...but it wasn’t! Before I knew it my legs were thrown over the back of my head, the doctor had her foot on the table whilst pulling LO’s head, and the mws were pushing my stomach (his shoulders had got stuck). Eventually he came out at 11:30pm waying 9lbs4oz (pretty big for someone my size!), luckily he was fine...although we didn’t know he was a ‘he’ for quite a while! They stitched me up, and then left.

Straight away I was screaming in pain (as soon as he was born) but the doc said I was being over dramatic (she kept saying other things, but too many to mention!) and wouldn’t look to see everything was ok. Eventually the mw did, and I had a huge hematoma (although still not sure what it is), it was honestly about 10x more painful than the whole labour. I was screaming in pain (depite an epidural, pessaries, gas and air and parecetamol) until 5am when the mw called another doc, and he made them operate! I can still fel that pain, it was absolutly horrendous. Finally saw my little boy properly at 5:30am! Ended up with a catheter for 2 days :(, and unable to leave bed for 2. Lost a lot of blood and needed two transfusions, was also very anaemic! Down there still hurts on and off :(

Was allowed home after a week, did have an infection, but am just so relieved things turned out ok. The whole pregnancy they were worried he would be too small! Also had planned to breastfeed, but after everything I didn’t produce milk for at least a week, and even after it was only ever 1oz, maybe 2 a day, I gave my son that all the milk I could for about 2 months, and finally gave up :(.

This might be a bit jumbled :(, sorry for such long post when I hven't been here long.

You poor thing, that sounds very traumatic! Doesn't help that your doctors were so insensitive too... it's enough to make anyone anxious!

Don't feel bad about the BFing either, you did a hell of a lot more than most!

I hope you and LO are doing well now and that you feel better about the experience soon :hugs: and congratulations for not needing a c-section! That's a great achievement and you should be proud! xxx

Oh my goodness sounds sooo traumatic! Congratulations on your gorgeous son though xx

My goodness.....thats sounds horrendous :( Just glad you n your bubba are okay after all that! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->