Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

I'm so excited, we're ordering our carseat today from carseat.se! :dance:

We're going for the DuoLogic 2, for various reasons. Although it only does RF to 18kg, even if my LO were to do a massive jump onto the 50th centile, she'd still only be hitting 18kg at 5 years old :shock: We like that it can be either Isofix or seatbelt fitting, as we're probably only going to have this car for another year or so. Our next car will most likely be one with Isofix. It's also compact enough that we don't need to panic about the next car being big enough to fit it in.

Hakan was so helpful when I asked for advice. Apparently I could have actually had LO in one of the other seats (which state 9kg to 25kg) because of her age and her being able to sit up. I was tempted by the Maxi Cosi Mobi, because of the ease of changing the recline angle (and because I like Maxi Cosi :blush:). But in the end, the DuoLogic won out.

I'm really looking forward to getting it! I'm hoping it'll make LO much happier and more comfy in the car! She is a very inquisitive 11 month old, and was getting so frustrated with the reclined position of the infant carrier, which made it hard for her to see out of the window.

So... YAY! :dance:

ive emailed a few sellers in NZ as the Australian standard mark is supposedly the one they use in NZ too so surely NZ seats would be leagal in Australia? i'll let you girls know what i find out,

My mum is gonna flip when she finds out what they cost caus they said they would help us buy the seats for the boys

Yay Eala!!!!!! I hope you like it when it comes, I'd love to see pics :D

I hope they get back to you soon Lynnikins and that you can use them in Aus legally, just makes everything much easier.

cant use the brio zento but they admitted they know several australian parents who have brought them and taken them back to australia and are using them

My DuoLogic 2 is here! :dance:

Now I just need to figure out how to install it :rofl:

lol i have to start saving for seats lol the boys are ok as they are for now but will need new seats soon and im broke lol what with all the nappies im buying

firstly - mumof3 CONGRATULATIONS on you bfp!!!

and now a question... :lol:

can you please explain in simple terms what the difference between an ISOFIX and a latch system are and how I know which one my car will have to make it compatible with the radian??
I'm sooo confused and have tried looking at so many different sites but have completely confused myself. :blush: really don't need to be importing a carseat to find out its got the wrong latch for my car.

Hi ladies. I spotted a thread on another site saying that volvo produces it's own equivalent of the Britax multi tech at a much cheaper price. Does anyone know anything about this, as I'm looking at moving Lottie up in the not too distant future. The volvo one says it's suitable from birth so I *could* theoretically mover her into it now. REally don't want to put her forward facing until there's no other option.

Quite tempted by the Britax hi-way as well. It looks really compact.

I read about the Volvo seats too, Hen. We are huge Volvo fans, so I was really interested. But then I couldn't find any information beyond the initial launch / product info :( I contacted our local Volvo dealer, and they didn't have a clue.

I don't know if it'd be worth e-mailing carseat.se about it, see if they know anything - maybe they are available in Sweden?

The carseat we got is suitable birth-18kg, btw :) Graco DuoLogic 2. It's apparently quite a compact one as well. Certainly fitted with room to spare in my Mum's citroen C4. We had to put the front seat all the way forward to fit it, but once it was in, the seat could go back again :)

firstly - mumof3 CONGRATULATIONS on you bfp!!!

and now a question... :lol:

can you please explain in simple terms what the difference between an ISOFIX and a latch system are and how I know which one my car will have to make it compatible with the radian??
I'm sooo confused and have tried looking at so many different sites but have completely confused myself. :blush: really don't need to be importing a carseat to find out its got the wrong latch for my car.

your in Oz right?
Isofix is a system where the seat has little bits on it that slot into attachement points that are in the base of the upright back of the actual seat in the car and lock onto that so you dont need a seatbelt to secure the car,
im pretty sure Oz cars arent Isofix fitted yet, and also pretty sure that you have to use Latch restraint where there are straps that go from the top of the carset to the top of the seat where the carseat is placed to secure it as well as using the fitted seatbelt of the cars seat. In NZ you can go from the back of your childs carseat to the floor or the bottom of the seat in front of the child but im sure in Oz then you have to go from the back of the childs seat to the top back of the seat the carseat is fitted on. if that makes any sense

ahh, yep, that does make sense, gives that painful 'top rope' (as we call it) that you have to manoeuvre the baby over.

yep lol my britax first class is only fitted with the seatbelt so has that exact problem lol

Hi,

We are shortly looking to move to the next stage car seat and would much prefer RF. We have a Ford Focus Estate and at the moment are swithering between the Maxi Cosi Mobi (like sound of recline on the move) or the Britax High Way (light and more compact).

Can anybody recommend either (or another?) will I lose much of the space in the passenger seat?

Thanks
P xxx

We considered the Maxi Cosi Mobi, it was our second choice (we got the Graco DuoLogic 2). The thing is, I couldn't find much information on the recline whilst driving thing. I have a friend who has a front-facing Maxi Cosi seat which reclines via a handle at the front (so where the back would be on an ERF seat). I just can't see how you could do it whilst driving. It would need to be the passenger twisting round to do it (I think) and I'm not sure how easy that would be. Unless the lever is very long or the mechanism is really far forward, I can't imagine that it would be safe for you to get your arm off the wheel, back to the seat, pull/push the mechanism, and not swerve off the road! My previous car was a Volvo 850 estate, and I currently have a Mazda 6 estate. In both of them, with the carseat behind the passenger seat, I can't reach back to the seat itself (although I do have shoulder problems which don't help!).

Anyways, that was a long drabble, but just thought I'd mention it. As I said, I've never used the seat, so I could be talking nonsense! I'm sure Hakan at carseat.se would be able to explain to you how it works :)

I know a few girls on here use the Hi-way, it seems like a popular seat. It's compact, but very long, apparently. It was another one I considered (because I'd seen ladies on here using it), but Hakan recommended against it, as I have a very small baby and he felt she would be lost in it.

In terms of compact seats, I can really recommend the Graco DuoLogic 2. It feels well-made, sturdy, comfy, and is easy to use. It also installs with either IsoFix OR a seatbelt, so gives you ultimate flexibility if it is ever going to move between cars. So far I've had it in a Volvo 850, a Mazda 6 estate, and a Citroen C4, all of which had plenty of room left in the front passenger seat. I'm planning on trying it in my Mum's Honda Jazz at some point, as I think it'll go! Not entirely sure on what passenger legroom there will be though :rofl:

Hi guys- im kind of in the same position as the PieMistress.....

Im moving upto next stage seat as abigail has out-grown her Maxi Cosi Cabriofix...

Ideally I need an ERF seat that is Isofix and seatbelt fastening...also not toooo huge as we drive a Fiat Bravo and my OH is 6ft 2 and has his seat ALL the way back.

I dont want the most expensive as right now we just cant afford it...so sensible price options. Im hoping thats narrowed it down to only a few...

whats my options in the UK ladies? Or even from outside the UK?

oh and I did look at this one...those experienced in whats on the market reckon this could be a good option? Review says its big though :wacko:

https://www.bumpto3.com/safety/In_Car_Safety/izi_combi_rearward_facing_group_0_1

Hrrm, the seat I have ticks all the boxes except the price :S It's one of the more expensive ones which carseat.se do.

I'm not sure about local sellers (when I looked on www.rearfacing.co.uk for Scottish suppliers, there were only about 3!), but on www.carseat.se and www.securatot.co.uk, you're really not going to get an ERF seat for less than £200 :( The cheapest I've seen is the Recaro Polaric at £225, but I think it's Isofix only, and it's HUGE. I saw a pic of it in a Range Rover or something equally big, and it just filled up so much of the space.

The Britax Hi-Way, you could get for £240 posted from carseat.se, in a sort of black/grey square print. It's a compact seat, so it'd most likely fit in your Brava (we used to have a Brava, so I have an idea of the room). I think it's only seatbelt fitting though. There aren't many which have the option of both IsoFix and seatbelt fitting, the Graco one we have is the only one I came across when I was looking :shrug:

oh and I did look at this one...those experienced in whats on the market reckon this could be a good option? Review says its big though :wacko:

https://www.bumpto3.com/safety/In_Car_Safety/izi_combi_rearward_facing_group_0_1

Securatot have it cheaper - https://www.securatot.co.uk/besafe-izi-combi-x3?category_id=61

Or you could get the earlier version for £250, if you phone them (apparently!)

According to the Izi website, it'll fit in a Brava. Of course, it doesn't take into account legroom, it just states "Yes, this carseat will go in this car". I've never seen one installed, so I don't know how big it is. Hakan did say to me it was bigger when I asked about it.

I'm sure either Hakan at carseat.se or Securatots themselves could tell you how it would fit, in terms of would it leave enough legroom for your hubby.

ETA - it's a good seat, in as far as the recommendations I've seen of it. It's one of only 3 seats in the world to have passed the Swedish "Plus Test" for carseat safety.

Also worth noting that you (as far as I know) can only get either Isofix or seatbelt fitting, not both. I had a look at the manual for the Isofix version, and it has nothing about it being able to be fitted with a seatbelt, sorry :(

Britax 2 Way Elite is £197 from In Car Safety Centre
https://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/30

That's where I got mine. Not the fanciest seat but it fits in small cars. We have a Honda Jazz. It is not Isofix though but it is easy to fit.

Wow, is that delivered? :shock: I'm impressed! Guess I was £3 off with my "not under £200" mark :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->