Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

Hi, wasn't sure if this was the right place to post but think a lot of ERF mummies will read so hopefully will get some advice..

We will be getting a RF seat next, haven't decided which one yet, but my question is can you get ones that recline? My little girl goes against the norm and is not a great sleeper in the car and I think it's due to her being quite upright. I know it's probably safer to be more upright, but her head just flops forward. I remember with my son's forward facing stage 1 seat I could pull a little button under the front of the seat and recline it for when he slept, but don't recall seeing that option of the ERF seats I've been looking at. If it's not an option, are there ones that are not as upright as others?

Also, I have a group 0+ carrier which goes up to 13kg.. my little girl is about 10kg.. but she is quite near the top of it. Does this mean I should be changing her seat soon?

Thanks for the great thread and advice. x :flower:

the Duologic has three different positions as it's actually a birth-18kg rf car seat, so the lie down position is about the same as in any infant carrier. it's easy to adjust while LO is in it, I believe.

as for when to change from the infant carrier - LO's head should not come up higher than the back of the seat. not sure how far below it ought to be, I have heard different figures, some say 1 inch, some say less than that.

:flower:

the Duologic has three different positions as it's actually a birth-18kg rf car seat, so the lie down position is about the same as in any infant carrier. it's easy to adjust while LO is in it, I believe.

as for when to change from the infant carrier - LO's head should not come up higher than the back of the seat. not sure how far below it ought to be, I have heard different figures, some say 1 inch, some say less than that.

:flower:

Thanks! Didn't spot that one.. :thumbup:

As regards to the height thing, I also thought it was about an inch below the top but not sure...

Love the new pics, they both look so comfy!!!!!

Kota~ I had actually asked for another friend of mine that is in NZ and the response I got was that most seats there do only go to about 18kg :( I know some that use US seats there, even though they aren't approved, so not legal but apparently police there really have no clue about it and they haven't gotten in any trouble. I think the Radian and some Britax from her are being sold legally there...let me see if I can find the link

Hmm I found the NZ site, try searching for Radian/sunshine kids/radian 80sl or xtsl and see if anything comes up for Aus but it RF to 20.4kg so bit more
https://www.bumbles.co.nz/products/Radian-XTSL-Car-Seat.html

Maybe not? I just looked up on skjp.com and it doesn't have Aus listed maybe I'm crazy thinking it was there, might just be NZ.

It does look that all Britax are rated for 18kg there too
https://www.britax.com.au/car-seats/convertible-car-seats

Probably why some are using US seats. But I think 18kg is still really good that's almost 40lbs...Hayden will be turning 3 in Sept and is 29lbs, granted he's small but I think that would easily get the average toddler to at least 3 and possibly still 4 :) None of my boys hit 40lbs before 4.

I was planning on getting the Britax Advocate, do you think that is a good seat? We'd have to get the 2011 version because he won't be in it any time soon and I can't convince DH to get the current version on sale.

Personally there are much better options out there. The one you'd be getting is the new ones they just released right? For whatever reason they shortened the shell and upped the weight limit! It's not going to last very long. And Britax don't offer much leg room at all (US/Canada ones, not UK). I would really look into a Sunshine Kids Radian, Graco MyRide (I think yall have those?), Safety 1st Complete Air or The First Years True Fit :)

Saw this going around FB today

https://www.carseat.se/a-swedish-rear-facing-car-seat-saves-another-life/

Love the new pics, they both look so comfy!!!!!

Kota~ I had actually asked for another friend of mine that is in NZ and the response I got was that most seats there do only go to about 18kg :( I know some that use US seats there, even though they aren't approved, so not legal but apparently police there really have no clue about it and they haven't gotten in any trouble. I think the Radian and some Britax from her are being sold legally there...let me see if I can find the link

Hmm I found the NZ site, try searching for Radian/sunshine kids/radian 80sl or xtsl and see if anything comes up for Aus but it RF to 20.4kg so bit more
https://www.bumbles.co.nz/products/Radian-XTSL-Car-Seat.html

Maybe not? I just looked up on skjp.com and it doesn't have Aus listed maybe I'm crazy thinking it was there, might just be NZ.

It does look that all Britax are rated for 18kg there too
https://www.britax.com.au/car-seats/convertible-car-seats

Probably why some are using US seats. But I think 18kg is still really good that's almost 40lbs...Hayden will be turning 3 in Sept and is 29lbs, granted he's small but I think that would easily get the average toddler to at least 3 and possibly still 4 :) None of my boys hit 40lbs before 4.

Thank you., Unfortunately the Britax ones are only RF until 12kgs and then FF until 18kgs. :( I've got one of them at the moment so thats what I'm wanting to replace when he gets to the 12kg mark so he can stay RF.

Sorry about that I totally read that wrong :( Can you order from NZ will that be ok to use?

I can yep, and will probably end up doing so. technically as they're not Australian approved seats its illegal to use them, but not own them so it won't be taken at customs. :winkwink: The chances of being pulled over by a copper who knows the difference and that the particular RF seat I have not being Aust approved is slim,.

I'm actually going to contact the governing body that makes the rules about it having to be an Aust approved seat and ask them for their ERF approved seats and see what they say.,

Hi, I'm new here but joined up because of this thread. :wave:

This is really interesting. I'm an Aussie currently living in the UK. Our LO is only 6mo but we plan to get an ERF car seat for him when he outgrows his infant one. When we move back to Oz in a couple of years we plan to bring it with us and continue to use it there.

I defy anyone to tell me 'it's not legal'. How very dare any government bureaucrat make decisions about safety that affect my child! My child's safety is up to me, not the government and I will use the safest option, an ERF seat, whether it's "approved" or not. :gun:

Please come back and tell us what response you get!

I can yep, and will probably end up doing so. technically as they're not Australian approved seats its illegal to use them, but not own them so it won't be taken at customs. :winkwink: The chances of being pulled over by a copper who knows the difference and that the particular RF seat I have not being Aust approved is slim,.

I'm actually going to contact the governing body that makes the rules about it having to be an Aust approved seat and ask them for their ERF approved seats and see what they say.,

im moving to OZ in March and been looking at carseats ds1 currently FF and hes 17.4 kg yes hes a very big 2 yr old lol and ds2 is over 20lb already in fact that weight was taken over a month ago lol so hes well over that, hes currently in a britax first class+ seat and when we go to Oz i want to rearface them both if i can

Personally there are much better options out there. The one you'd be getting is the new ones they just released right? For whatever reason they shortened the shell and upped the weight limit! It's not going to last very long. And Britax don't offer much leg room at all (US/Canada ones, not UK). I would really look into a Sunshine Kids Radian, Graco MyRide (I think yall have those?), Safety 1st Complete Air or The First Years True Fit :)

Out of all of those would Sunshine Kids Radian XT be the best bet? I see it goes rear facing to 45 lbs.

The 80SL and XTSL go to 45lbs RF. Really it depends on preference. The main difference is the head wings on the XTSL provide more SIP but that is mostly for FF. I have the XTSL

Is the XT the Cdn version of the XTSL? Sorry if that is a silly question. :)

https://www.skjp.com/products/97556/Car_Seats

No, I don't think so...when I opened the link that gave me the SL versions. In Sept of last year they introduced the SL versions, so regular XT is the older version and will only RF to 40lbs....other than that they are pretty much the same seat.

Actually it might be, I just went to the canada site and it does list 45lbs so maybe it's different for yall. They do keep their site up to date though, SK is really good about that, so since it says it does RF to 45 I'm sure it does, in that case it should be the same seat :) Actually if you enlarge the pic on the bottom right side of the XT seat it says XTSL just like mine does so since they have the same pics I'm sure it's the same

Thanks! I'm glad I asked because I would have bought the Advocate and then been upset about the leg room! I want to keep Kaiden rear facing as long as possible. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->