Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

Thanks Twiggy, I couldn't remember the name of the Britax seat that does to 13kg :thumbup: There's a Graco one too, my Mum has it, but don't ask me what it's called :rofl:

What does your LO weigh? It's his weight as well as his age that will determine if you can turn him. Unless his head is nearly (or actually!) coming up over the top of his seat.

The Graco DuoLogic series are ERF, birth-18kg. The GracoLogic I is pretty much the same as the II, just you can't take the seat part off the base. It's about £250 though, shipped from Sweden :(. There is also the BeSafe Izikid range, but again, they tend to be £250+

I know you can get 0+ seats which go up to 13kg RF and might be a bit roomier for your LO, until he reaches 9kg? Or, Hakan at carseat.se said to me:

We normally say it's ok to move on to the 9-25 kg RF seats when a child can sit by themselves

so you could possibly go for a 9kg one if your LO can sit unaided. The thing is though, it seems to be difficult to get an ERF seat for less than £200, though I think one lady on here got one for £190 or thereabouts.

Is the Britax First Class not from birth?

...just looked, its from birth to 13kg for RF. So until about 28 and a half pounds...which is pretty good...

Halfords have it for £99.99 at the moment :thumbup: https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs...6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=mrimpl&istBid=t

They will fit it for you too...

its not the longest ERF seat but its from birth and is in budget :shrug:

Aha thanks, I was in Halfords looking at that one today actually...I just didn't know whether you HAD to FF at 9 months with it or if you can still carry on RF. I also found the Jane Combination Car Seat that says you can continue to RF until 13kg/29lb, but none of the others seem to say that.

I also found the Norton le Mans which looks pretty ideal but I've never heard of them before and can't find an actual manufacturer's website, or any safety specs [just "Tested to latest standards including ECE"]...does anyone know where I would go to check any test results etc?

Ok I've found the manufacturer now... https://www.kleverkids.co.uk/le mans/

But I still don't really know who they are! Is it better to stick with a more well known brand do you think? :wacko:

Edit:

Now I feel a wee bit silly. After a bit more frantic Googling I found this...

Of course Norton are famous for their motorcycle racing prowess, recently they have spread their wings a little and license the name to Klever Kids for these baby products we have selected.

Thought I'd post that in case anyone else is trying to find out more about them!

Oooh interesting! I know who Norton are, as my DH and I are both into bikes :)

That seat is rear-facing till 9kg. Depending on how long you're wanting to keep him RF for, and how much your baby weighs, you might find a RF to 13kg one would last you better :)

The only case I can think of in terms of *having* to turn your child FF is if their seat was no longer safe for them RF. So they'd either exceeded the height or weight limit. But that aside, you can keep them RF for as long as you like (as long as they will tolerate it :rofl:). Even if my child was to jump up several centile lines, she'd not hit the weight limit for my seat before age 5, so she'll be RF for as long as I can :thumbup:

Oooh interesting! I know who Norton are, as my DH and I are both into bikes :)

That seat is rear-facing till 9kg. Depending on how long you're wanting to keep him RF for, and how much your baby weighs, you might find a RF to 13kg one would last you better :)

The only case I can think of in terms of *having* to turn your child FF is if their seat was no longer safe for them RF. So they'd either exceeded the height or weight limit. But that aside, you can keep them RF for as long as you like (as long as they will tolerate it :rofl:). Even if my child was to jump up several centile lines, she'd not hit the weight limit for my seat before age 5, so she'll be RF for as long as I can :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply...I do want to RF for as long as I can really, just wasn't sure whether the way the weight limit was worded just meant that you *could* FF at 9kg, not that you couldn't continue RF if you wanted to. I reckon I'll email them and see what they say...thanks for your help :)

Yah, the guidelines aren't worded very clearly at all, I don't think!

And I wish I hadn't seen that KleverKids site now... I've fallen in love with the "Pure" :rofl: If I'd know that existed, I'd have bought that instead of my Oyster, I think!! Gorgeous, and with a one-handed fold! *grumble* :rofl:

Hehe...yeah, I thought it looked good...I have an Oyster too but this looks a lot sturdier.

I'm not sure if anybody has posted this I saw it on another forum so thought I'd share: Volvo are now selling ERF seats. It's the Britax Multi-tech but they've put a Volvo logo on it instead. You can get it from them for £180 rather than £250. Your local retailer should be able to order one in as a part.

Aah that's good to know :) We just parted with our old Volv 850, and for the first time in *years* now have a non-Volvo car :cry: We love our Volvos, they are bombproof!

That's a good price for them too. Sadly we were recommended against a Multi-Tech for our baby, but it'll be good for other kids :D I remember seeing on the Volvo owners forum that they were releasing carseats (and some pics of them) but it was an older post, and hadn't had an update in ages. Interesting to know that they are out :)

It would be great if other car manufacturers followed suit. If the baby shops and Halfords aren't interested in promoting ERF, somebody has to!

Absolutely! Even if it would just raise awareness a bit, then that's a very positive step! If enough people find out about it, maybe the Government will take note and will look at changing the law!

Absolutely! Even if it would just raise awareness a bit, then that's a very positive step! If enough people find out about it, maybe the Government will take note and will look at changing the law!

If "which" would include them or test them rearfacing not forward facing it would be a start. at the moment seats like the besafe are the worst for safety on their website.

Which seats is it that they test? I've never heard of them ever testing anything like a Graco DuoLogic or a Maxi Cosi Mobi? It's one thing for them to test a Combi seat (even an ERF combi-seat), but it'd be something else if they actually tested a seat which only does RF. For example, you can't turn mine at all :shrug:

Maybe if you're a Which? member, you should suggest that they get some decent ERF seats and test them ;)

Which seats is it that they test? I've never heard of them ever testing anything like a Graco DuoLogic or a Maxi Cosi Mobi? It's one thing for them to test a Combi seat (even an ERF combi-seat), but it'd be something else if they actually tested a seat which only does RF. For example, you can't turn mine at all :shrug:

Maybe if you're a Which? member, you should suggest that they get some decent ERF seats and test them ;)

I think they had some just rear facing but old non isofix ones, very bad reveiws! think they must have tied them forward facing with string. I have called and tried suggesting they get erf seats in but there are apparently not enough new seats this year for them to update there seat reveiws. grrrrr. I cancelled my subscription at that point!

Well, DH decided to wreck and total our car a week before his ship left out to sea. And my poor beautiful Radian XTSL was in it. :( Thankfully the baby and I weren't in the car, and my DH is okay. But the car rolled a few times and is a complete loss obviously. The lady on the phone with insurance said in the state of california, a car seat is okay as long as a baby wasn't IN it during the accident. :shock: I told her, umm that's okay, I'll still buy a new one. So this time I went with a Radian 80SL instead. :happydance: And it's SO cute!
https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/cleckner04/unnamed.jpg

And here's our car. :(
https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/cleckner04/IMG_0088.jpg

Also wanted to say, even in the horrible car accident, my radian looked like new. It didn't have a single scratch. Well that I could see anyways, we just left it in the car for the insurance to take. I did snag the cover off of it though. :haha:

Oh wow Cleckner :shock:

Am glad that you and LO weren't in the car, and that your DH is ok!!

Yay for the new car seat, it's so pretty! I'm jealous, you guys have access to gorgeous ones over there :)

Sorry to jump in :-(

I'm looking at getting a rear facing, and was considering one of the combi rf/ff car seats but my friend told me that these are worse than a ff as they are a jack of all trades? Is this true? The main reason I'm thinking of this is because of money but obviously I know my Childs safety is the most important. And also rf are so hard to come by in the UK. Can anyone give me some advice? Xx

Cleckner your car looks awful :-( I'm so glad you and LO weren't in and your hubby was ok xx

Sorry to jump in :-(

I'm looking at getting a rear facing, and was considering one of the combi rf/ff car seats but my friend told me that these are worse than a ff as they are a jack of all trades? Is this true? The main reason I'm thinking of this is because of money but obviously I know my Childs safety is the most important. And also rf are so hard to come by in the UK. Can anyone give me some advice? Xx

the besafe combi isofix one can go forward facing to. I contacted the company and asked the difference between the one they make that is only rear facing and the combi one and they said there was no safety difference (they prob wouldnt say otherwise though lol)
I recon that forward facing it might not be as good as other only forward facing seats though especially as it is not isofix when facing forward. The which website tested the old version of this forward facing and it was not good (they seem to object to testing them the right way grr)
I would by a new seat if i was ever to turn her forward facing.

@ Cleckner
so glad your oh is ok and you and littleone were not in car. think it takes something like this to make us realise why we spend so much on car seats :). Accidents can happen at anytime. Also love the way the seat cover matches her outfit in your avetar thingy lol.

Cleckner you should have pressed it with the insurance company, what the lady said was completely wrong and Sunshine Kids requires that seat to be replaced in an accident, so they should have covered it for you! That's ridiculous! I'm glad everyone is ok though and you were able to get a new one

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->