Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

They repeated over and over that the state of california says to just get it inspected and that it can still be used. :shrug: I'm past the point of caring. I'm out a brand new car and my husband is gone till June. The car seat is small potatoes. :haha: I did push them on the phone but they absolutely was not going to cover it. :growlmad:

That's crazy! I've heard of insurance companies doing it before and people getting something from the manufacture proving that it needs to be replaced and usually that works. Really sucks you are out a car though!!

uk suppliers???? the britax hi-way was recommended for my car is there anywhere in uk that stocks it?

UK suppliers here - https://www.rearfacing.co.uk/buyersguide.php

Scroll down to find your area then there is a list of what the different shops sell.

One thing I'd say is to compare the prices you get told (if there is a UK stockist near you) with the ones on carseat.se. They aren't always cheaper by the time you factor in the €30 delivery charge, but they sometimes are. Hakan from there could also tell you if any other seats would fit in your car. I'd imagine that if the Hi-Way would, then the Graco DuoLogic series might as well :)

Sorry to jump in :-(

I'm looking at getting a rear facing, and was considering one of the combi rf/ff car seats but my friend told me that these are worse than a ff as they are a jack of all trades? Is this true? The main reason I'm thinking of this is because of money but obviously I know my Childs safety is the most important. And also rf are so hard to come by in the UK. Can anyone give me some advice? Xx

the besafe combi isofix one can go forward facing to. I contacted the company and asked the difference between the one they make that is only rear facing and the combi one and they said there was no safety difference (they prob wouldnt say otherwise though lol)
I recon that forward facing it might not be as good as other only forward facing seats though especially as it is not isofix when facing forward. The which website tested the old version of this forward facing and it was not good (they seem to object to testing them the right way grr)
I would by a new seat if i was ever to turn her forward facing.

@ Cleckner
so glad your oh is ok and you and littleone were not in car. think it takes something like this to make us realise why we spend so much on car seats :). Accidents can happen at anytime. Also love the way the seat cover matches her outfit in your avetar thingy lol.

Thank you for your help. Really I want him to be rear facing until at least 3 if not older. We have a very small car at the moment which is old and doesn't have isofix. Although we are getting a new car before the baby is born, it won't be before James needs the new seat. Where can I find out which ones are compatible? X

You could try e-mailing Hakan at www.carseat.se. He is very knowledgeable about the seats available which fit in each specific car. I've also heard good things about www.securatot.co.uk, but have never used them so can't give you a personal recommendation!

Something like a graco DuoLogic might be good for you. It's described as a compact seat, so might very well fit in your car, and it can be fitted with either Isofix OR a seatbelt. That worked out great for us, our old car didn't have Isofix, so we used the belt. Then we got a new car which does have Isofix, so we can use that option. It also means it can go into any other car (parents, friends etc) and I know that it'll fit :)

That's great thanks. I've sent him an email, and I'll have a look at the one you recommended xx

Hi, i got mine from snowflakes website they seem to know what they were talking about when i called them (south west), also try oliversbabycare, not quite as helpful but as well as delivery they are in winchester and i think they can help fit them too. :)

I'm hoping to keep my son rear facing for as long as possible, I just wondered if there is a seat that rear faces but then once he is alot older can go forward facing and last him right up until he no longer needs a booster? I know they do a front facing that does from birth right up but I've not come across one that goes both ways?

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I tend to think it's better to get a rear facing seat that lasts as long as possible and then a different seat for if you need a front facing booster seat. I think that if a seat is designed to face both ways it won't be quite as good facing either direction as a seat that is just designed to face one way, cos you have to compromise on stuff. We have a rear facing seat that will last until LO is about 4 years old, then we'll probably get a bigger rear facing seat that will last as long as possible. If we need a forward facing booster at any point, we'll just get one of them then.

I agree with Rachel. There are a couple of seats which you can turn, (the BeSafe Combi springs to mind). Which tested that one (I think it was that one) and it didn't get a great safety review as a FF seat (although they didn't test it as a RF seat :dohh:)

If you get a true ERF seat (and you speak to an expert who can recommend one which will last you well based on your car and the size of your child) then it should last you till your child is around 4, if not older. At that point, you can get boosters seats relatively inexpensively, and you'll have had a good number of years use out of the ERF seat, which, to me, makes the initial purchase price easier to stomach :)

I'm hoping to keep my son rear facing for as long as possible, I just wondered if there is a seat that rear faces but then once he is alot older can go forward facing and last him right up until he no longer needs a booster? I know they do a front facing that does from birth right up but I've not come across one that goes both ways?

the besafe combi izi3 can be used from birth and goes both ways. Even the company selling it doesnt recomend you use it until 6 months though. And it does have bad reveiws on which forward facing. As i said before the company selling it also does a non forward facing one and says they are no different safety wise

There was one on the which site that was erf but also forward facing that got okish reveiws forward facing but i am no longer a member and cant remember name (recardo?).

If you are concerned by safety (i am guessing you are if you are here :) then i would stick to a baby seat, a rear facing seat then get a safe forward facing one when you need it. The safety of car seats is likely to improve so much in the next couple of years anyway, who knows what will be out there for us to buy then.

Oh, apparently the new Volvo carseat (which is a version of the Britax Multi-Tech) will do rear-facing till age 6 :)shock:) and then become a forward-facing booster/seat. It's got the amazing price tag of £160!! Available from Volvo dealers in the UK :)

The one thing I'll say about that is that I can find nothing on the internet as to whether the seat is designed to fit in cars other than Volvos. I can't imagine they'd limit their market in the UK by doing something so daft as to not make the seats universal. Also, if that if that was the case, then you'd imagine that they would quite clearly state it somewhere on their website.

yeah i was away to say, the Multi-Tech acts as a booster FF later on with the seatbelt, its RF with harness for younger....If the Volvo one is the same then go for that?!

Attachments

• Multi-Tech in stages.jpg
    Multi-Tech in stages.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 12
My Mum is going to be buying a Volvo seat for her car :thumbup: She takes my LO 2 days a week, and at the moment LO is still in a group 0+ seat in her car, which Roo occasionally finds frustrating. I felt bad about asking my Mum to get a £200+ carseat, and I couldn't afford to buy a second one, but neither of us wanted Roo FF. So this Volvo seat will be great, if everything works out right :)

From what I've heard, the Volvo seat is the same thing as the Britax Multi-Tech, just with a Volvo badge stuck on it.

Thanks all for your help. Hakan was really helpful and has given me some great ideas. Xx

From what I've heard, the Volvo seat is the same thing as the Britax Multi-Tech, just with a Volvo badge stuck on it.

It has been updated and changed slightly, apparently. "Slightly" could very well mean the colour changes, but the original Multi-Tech was classed as RF to 5 years on average, the Volvo they are saying should be able to RF an average 6 year old. If you could get a 6 year old to stay RF-ing, right enough!

Even if the only change is the badge, the fact is that they are selling it for £160, whereas the Multi Tech is £281 shipped on carseat.se (on sale) and £250 on securatot.co.uk (plus whatever they charge for shipping). Makes it a really good value seat, and I wonder how long they'll be able to justify selling the Multi-Tech at those prices...

Oh, apparently the new Volvo carseat (which is a version of the Britax Multi-Tech) will do rear-facing till age 6 :)shock:) and then become a forward-facing booster/seat. It's got the amazing price tag of £160!! Available from Volvo dealers in the UK :)

That's brilliant! I'll have to have a look. We have quite a big car, 2006 Vauxhall Zahira 7 Seater so hopefully it will fit!

Whats the name of this new seat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"