Reasons for a section?

It caused alot of problems with DH not him annoyed just upset i clambed up if he came near me!!
I have opted for a section and the thing im most worried about is going into labour before hand and needing to go natural. Im booked in for 39 weeks but DD arrived bang on 38 weeks. Cross my legs time!!!

I understand your worries about going into early labour and being forced to go natural but surely they wont put you through that if they know how anxious you are about it and given your history with a traumatic vaginal birth. Are you able to get an earlier C sec? or if you do go into labour will they be able to go ahead with a C-section before labour gets into the second stage???

She was a bit of a stinker really!! She said if i go before 39 weeks i should get in asap and i will get a section if there is space available, if im into established labour i will have to deliver naturally. She kinda made me feel a bit more anxious but ive just got in my head i will keep my legs shut and if i get the littleist twinge i will go in!! Got my MW again in a week so will discuss all my fears with her and see if theres any thing she can do as she was kinda keen on me having a section, she in no way influenced my decision but i could tell she really wanted me to speak to the consultant. xxx

wow that is a bit harsh although my mw said the same thing, that if they can do it in an emergency situation (before 39 weeks) then they will unless I am dilated and ready to push which I pray does not happen. I think its best to speak to your consultant and OB performing the op as they can ease your fears and discuss early sections if you need one.:hugs:

OMG hun, go for a c-section hands down!!!

I had one due to baby failing to descend after 26 hrs of labor and let me tell you , boy am I glad I did! All of my friends that delivered around the same time as me had natural births and they complain about their lady bits all the time! I had such a great experience with my csection that I would take it over natural labor anyday! I will have another with my next baby and am happy to say that my foof is in great shape and never been better! take the c-section!!!

Your post made me cross my legs ! I had an EMCS due to bubs becoming distressed after a long labour. I don't regret it as I have nothing to regret, he could have died so he was taken out. I am planning a section this time as I dnt want to risk e same thing happening, I have no worries about not driving for 6 weeks as I can walk anyway. This isn't directed at you at all, but I hate when people ask if I was in same way disappointed at having a section as it implies there is a reason to be disappointed, and to me, there is no reason. It's giving birth to your baby in the best way for you at that time x

I fully agree! I never even had one ounce of regret, never crossed my mind really...I'm just glad the got baby out when they did because she was in real distress as was i after 26 hrs of labor. So, do I regret having my vag split in half...ummmm....no, not at all :shrug:

My first there was several reasons. I had complete previa with part of the placenta actually out of the cervix and I was hospitalized with bleeding several times. But, then that moved up a smidge (not enough for a vaginal). They also expected him to be very large (and he was 9lbs 10oz two weeks early) and they were worried he would get stuck. The last reason was because I had a very serious back injury and they didn't think I would be able to or should push the baby for fear I would re-herniate my lumbar discs (I herniated three of them and broke my back). So...that is why for #1

#2 I got pregnant 12mths after #1 was born. So, they advised me, that it was MY choice, but that it would probably be best if I did have a section, and I agreed. But, as the pregnancy progresses I developed insulin-dependent diabetes and they said it would be very hard to regulate the insulin, food, and sugars during a labour. Turns out having a section was a big blessing, because when they went in to take her out, my uterus was see-through!!! It was SO thin from scarring from an infection I had after my 1st (I later had surgery to fix the scarring) and the chance of a rupture was high.

#3 I had a section because of the scarring discovered from #2. They said that there was still significant thinning in the uterus (during the delivery) and there was never an option to go vaginal. Not to mention, I also had the insulin-dependent diabetes again.

No, I don't feel cheated. These were decisions made in advance. I went into labour on my own with #1 and #2, and even #3 (premature that was stopped and later had a scheduled section). None of my pregnancies were easy, and #1 and #2 deliveries were quite difficult. #3 was the best...a breeze I would even say.

Your post made me cross my legs ! I had an EMCS due to bubs becoming distressed after a long labour. I don't regret it as I have nothing to regret, he could have died so he was taken out. I am planning a section this time as I dnt want to risk e same thing happening, I have no worries about not driving for 6 weeks as I can walk anyway. This isn't directed at you at all, but I hate when people ask if I was in same way disappointed at having a section as it implies there is a reason to be disappointed, and to me, there is no reason. It's giving birth to your baby in the best way for you at that time x

I fully agree! I never even had one ounce of regret, never crossed my mind really...I'm just glad the got baby out when they did because she was in real distress as was i after 26 hrs of labor. So, do I regret having my vag split in half...ummmm....no, not at all :shrug:

totally agree and this is what I do not understand with women who are against C sections, I would much rather that to having my vagina split or cut with a useless local anaesthetic that most women can feel:cry:
recovery from a bad long labour and vaginal birth can and is harder than a straight forward elected C-sec. just ask any woman who has had a long labour and needed forceps and to be cut

I had an emergency one, I tried to get william out and he was posterior, he was in distress I was in distress and a lot of pain. only as a last resort they do them here and i had to sigh while screaming my head off for one. It was for the best at the time and I know I done all I could before it. I had a vbac second time, was better and I did tear to. Wouldnt choose section though.

1st due to placental abruption, not any other survivable option. I felt like a failure because I was in a coma afterwards and almost died. I then felt like a failure when I was told that because of what happened, my son is disabled. It took 6 weeks before I was begining to feel physically well, much longer to be pain free. And a lot longer to recover from PTSD and 'deal' with what happened. 6 years on I can say I'm over it.

2nd due to history and GD. My consultant was lovely and I would not have got through without her. She let me live in lala land with my VBAC plan till 36weeks then sat me down and expalined why she thought a c section would be a better idea. C section at 37 weeks, she met me in the morning, walked down with me, introduced me to everyone, lowered the screen so I could see my baby coming out (I had big issues with DS2 and not feeling he was mine) and kept in touch while I was in hospital to make sure I didn't have any emotional/mental trauma. And it worked. The c section went well, I was in a shower by 11pm (baby delivered at 9am or so), breast feeding well even though she did end up in SCBU the next day. Next day I was up and walking about with no issues at all so long as I didn't miss any pain releif. I was back driving after 2 weeks! I really can't express how quickly I recovered. I have no feelings of failure at all and it did help put some demons from the last one to rest. It was 'cleansing'.

However number 1 was a vaginal birth. Induction at 35 weeks die to pre eclampsia. It was great. Afterwards I had labia tearing which were not that bad but with experience I can say that I had a massive undiagnosed UTI, it was agony to pee for 2 weeks. They finally put me on antibiotics (I told them I had a throat infection!) and it suddenly cleared up. I'm angry about that more than anything.

b/c I am 5'1" and my son was (and still is) HUGE!!! He was 10lbs4oz, 23 1/2IN long, and his chest measured 15 1/4 around. There was NO way he would have fit naturally. I did feel cheated at first since he was #5 but the first to be csection.

My first baby was born vaginally assisted with vontouse... He was posterior...labour was agony had an epidural at 5 cm having taken 24 hours to get there and was active another 11 hours....suffered a second degree tear naturally and took a good week to feel recovered. With DS 2 born 4 weeks ago I booked a homebirth as I felt I wanted a natural calm birth in the confines of my own surroundings, I believed this would help me get a nice straight forward labour and I hoped to deliver in a pool I had bought and set up. At 38+3 I took castor oil hoping to induce labour...it did...so I laboured beautifully at home for 12 hours....however....I didn't progress past 6cm and had been pushing against cervix for a few hours so it was decided I should transfer in to hospital for epidural and monitoring....from there I got to 9 cm but babys head didn't descend...after a few decelerations I was taken for an urgent c section. I didn't feel a failure but was totally devastated that my beautiful home birth was cut short and that my body just wouldn't do its job :-(. I'd gone from one extreme to the other and had been so convinced that the trauma of my first birth wouldn't be repeated. So many had said second babys come quicker, easier etc. But for my second it was far worse! I plan to have third after I qualify as a midwife and have thought about VBAC but am terrified of going through a third back to back labour and the same thing happening. I accept natural delivery was just not gonna happen for me but I do feel disappointed none the less :-(

Xx

b/c I am 5'1" and my son was (and still is) HUGE!!! He was 10lbs4oz, 23 1/2IN long, and his chest measured 15 1/4 around. There was NO way he would have fit naturally. I did feel cheated at first since he was #5 but the first to be csection.

OMG he was big!!

Hello lovlies!!

I was just wondering everyones reasons behind a section? Did you feel let down at the desicion? Did you feel failure atall afterwards(ive heard people say this before)?

I had a 3rd degree tear (3b tear), episi, forceps (tear was due to poor presentation so was caused by surgeon doing internal manouvre with her big hands!) with my last birth and i have a meeting with my consultant in 2 weeks to decide on a section or not!

My vag birth took 11 months to recover from, i couldnt get up stairs, out of bed, lift baby, get off the sofa without help for about 2-3 weeks! My friend had a section 8 weeks after me and she was out shopping before i could walk straight up.. the mummy shuffle stayed for weeks lol!
I was still splitting during sex when this LO was concieved so im concerned if my scar isnt healed then its likely to reopen?? My LO was born nearly 3 years ago so its a bit ridiculous im still not recovered.
Im just SO mixed up i dont know what to do for the best?!

Please help! xxxx

I went in wanting an all natural-med free birth but circumstances happened and I ended up with a c-section which I wouldn't take back, it turned out perfectly. I did have a bit of guilt over that but it was fleeting. I tried to have a natural birth so I was proud of myself for trying... the reason I couldn't have a natural birth was out of my control.
I actually wrote my birth experience here, if you'd like to hear more :) https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-s...ned-c-section-but-great-birth-experience.html

I have to say that there is no 1 way fits all delivery. My section was so much harder to recover from. It was 9 weeks before my OH could go back to work properly because i just couldn't lift etc. I don't think i drove for about 3 months after the birth because it was too uncomfortable. So for me it was much more restricting than my natural. I hated it and 2nd time round i would of only had a section if i was told i had no other choice.
My VBAC was so easy - i tore really really badly but to be honest they stitched it up so well you wouldn't know.

I had an emcs because baby was breech. We didn't find out until I was 5cm dilated so was a bit shocked! It was the right decision to have a c-section as she arrived safely and everyone in theatre treated us really well. The anaesthetist was a lovely man and I'm glad I got chance to thank him afterwards when he checked on me in recovery :) he drugged me up good :wacko:

I can't say I felt like a failure but it does make me nervous for next time if I have to have a VBAC. How do I know if my body can physically get a baby out of there IYSWIM? I know it's a silly thing to worry about but I've never done it before so I don't know!

I had pretty much the same experience. Dd was breech and it was only discovered 20 hours after my contractions started and I was 5cm. I don't feel any regret or failure about it and elected to have a section for my ds. I doubt I'll have any more children as we're old now, so I don't feel like I've missed out on a natural birth.

Oh and I was only on hospital for 48 hours after he was born, and out and about at 4 days old.

I had a emcs with my son as he was brow presentation (we didn't know until they cut me open), he got distressed, I got stuck at 5 cms dilated after 7 hours established labour, 36 hours labour totally. He was 9 lb 6 at 38 weeks which didn't help him come out (god knows what he would have weighed full term or overdue!) I was induced at 38 weeks due to his size and his suspected kidney problems. His size I have been told now was due to his other condition, hyperinsulinism (the opposite of diabetes).

I have been told I can choose a VBAC this time or an elective and I am torn. This baby looks free of kidney problems and is an average size (unlike his brother who was 95th centile or more at every scan from 20 weeks). I fear this baby will be brow presentation too, or will get stuck or something. Though it was a forced induction before, so maybe if this baby is allowed to come when they are ready it wont be so traumatic. Oh well, I still have 5 weeks to decide!

I had a section due to fetal distress on my duedate.
I had no labour - went in for an NST and LO's heartbeat was 185+ so my OB told me he would get me the forms and i would see him in a couple of hours.
Baby was 10lbs 5oz and 21" there is no way she would have come naturally. My body wasn't even on it's way to prepare for labour.

Also, my bandage was removed two days after my surgery & i was out shopping when LO was 6days old. Recovery was easy for me.

I had a c section 6 weeks ago due too severe PET & HELLP syndrome, my section saved my life .... literally!

My liver had packed up, my kidneys had packed up, my entire blood/circulation system was shutting down, they were talking about intensive care & dialysis. They told us the next day if they hadn't have delivered baby right at the point they did then neither myself & the little dude would be here now

I am struggling with this all right now, even though my life & the little dude's life were in danger, I still find it difficult too process. I am hoping my appointment with the consultant comes through soon

Recovery was ok, I HAD too recover quickly as little dude was in the SCBU but took a turn for the worst at 3 days old and he had too be ventilated and moved too another hospital with a NICU, if I wanted too spend as much time as possible with him then I NEEDED too recover ASAP, it certainly wasn't fun :(

I hope next time (if there is a next time!) I want too try a VBAC as I personally much prefered my vaginal birth too my c section

I had a emcs with my son as he was brow presentation (we didn't know until they cut me open), he got distressed, I got stuck at 5 cms dilated after 7 hours established labour, 36 hours labour totally. He was 9 lb 6 at 38 weeks which didn't help him come out (god knows what he would have weighed full term or overdue!) I was induced at 38 weeks due to his size and his suspected kidney problems. His size I have been told now was due to his other condition, hyperinsulinism (the opposite of diabetes).

I have been told I can choose a VBAC this time or an elective and I am torn. This baby looks free of kidney problems and is an average size (unlike his brother who was 95th centile or more at every scan from 20 weeks). I fear this baby will be brow presentation too, or will get stuck or something. Though it was a forced induction before, so maybe if this baby is allowed to come when they are ready it wont be so traumatic. Oh well, I still have 5 weeks to decide!

Hey Missus
I had a brow presentation 9 years ago with my DD, after 12 hours of (inducted) labour I was fully dilated, had episiotomy, forceps the works but in the end the head was just in the wrong position to be born so I had C Section.
I then had my DS 2.5 years later vaginally. The thing about brow presentation is that it's not likely to recur, it's just one of those things that happens on the day. My sons birth, although relatively fast (established labour for 4 hours) was so much easier to recover from and there were no complications like brow presentation. I would advise you to consider VBAC if it is a safe option for you as you will more than likely fly it and feel great after.
I am just after finding out that I have low lying placenta this time round and in the worst case scenario I will be faced with another section. I am slightly gutted but at least this time I'll know in advance and if placenta does not move up I will be able to get my head around it. Hope I've been some help, best of luck with everything (please pray that my placenta moves up in the coming weeks:winkwink:)

I had an emcs as my labour didn't progress and my Lo was in distress. I was just so relieved he was safe that I didn't really think about how he got here. My recovery was really fast and I had no complications at all which definitely helped

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->