reducing temperature on a 3yr old ??

D

DizzyMoo

Hi ladies, Sorry bit lengthy but sons poorly :(

My 3 1/2 yr old son woke this morning & was so very obviously poorly, Very pasty skin, eyes just not with it & fairly quiet. He led on settee very quiet & refused breakfast, refused dinner & his drinks. He didn't want to play outside & was seriously hot to touch so led on settee again until 1.30pm he asked to go to bed, he was only wearing boxers by this time so gave him calpol to try bring his temp down & took him bed with a dvd on. I kept checking on him but after 3 hrs i decided to wake him thinking he wont sleep tonight & he just didn't want to get up & asked to stay in bed ( this is a 1st !! ) So i sat with him for half hour but he was well asleep , kept checking on him & decided to wake him again at nearly half 6 so he'd been asleep 5 hours, He was already awake & just coming out of his bedroom a tad upset & was confused. Downstairs he finally drank about a pint of water only a tad diluted with cordial, & asked for a butty at about half 7. He had half of 1 slice of bread with ham on ( by this time he's naked ) but whilst to the touch extremely hot he was tellin me he was cold .. so just put a very thin sheet over his legs but nothing from his waist up. Gave him his next dose of calpol , & decided to get the fan out & air the room abit, Soon as i put it on he got himself really upset, was crying & just threw up everywhere.. Took him the bathroom cleaned him up, he cuddled me & said sorry for being sick :cry: he was asking to go to bed which although i want him to sleep i'd rather he was with me downstairs, So got him on the settee with another sheet over his legs, his eyes are all red & looks bleary, he's quite warm to the touch & in some places bloody hot & he's fallen asleep. i've tried wiping him down with cool wipes. I dont like seeing him like this :cry: I feel so helpless & i cant find my thermometer :hissy:

what else can i do? just seems to of come on all of a sudden & i cant put it down to the sun yesterday as he didn't play out in it much, prob say about an hour in fits & starts at most.
Any advice or tips really appreciated :cry:

I've now put him to bed with a tshirt on so i can remove blanket..but worried about his temperature :(

Have you nurofen hun? If so you can give a does of this inbetween calpol (3 does per 24 hours of nurofen, 4 does per 24 hours of calpol)

A lukewarm, coolish bath can help too as well as getting a cool flannel and bathing him.

Hope the lil man is better soon xx

Awww hunny!! sorry for dropping in on your thread but didnt want to read and run, im with mamafy, i have a 19month old sister and she has been poorly a lot recently and thats what she was given. Also if you get too concerned or just need some advice phone nhs direct 0845 4647, they can give you all sorts of advice on what to do.

Hope he is feeling better soon sweetheart!
xxxxx

Don't let him get cold...might sound backwards but by having him stripped down and a fan going he is going to feel cold himself (even though his temp is up) and his body is going to try and warm itself up because he will feel cold...therefore raising his temp. The best thing you can do is actually have him dressed normally, maybe a bit light with a light blanket if he wants it. I would take his temp and find out what it actually is...under his arm is a good way but you have to add a degree (atleast with F you do..not sure about C if you use that) If it's over 102F (or if he's really miserable) give him some tylenol or motrin that should bring it down. Also a lukewarm bath like mamafy said, don't make it too cool, just like body temp, slightly warm...again so he doesn't feel cold but it will be cooler than his actual temp right then. I hope he feels better soon!

Thanks ladies, When i put the fan on he was naked but covered with a blanket.

Well he woke at 4am telling me his belly was sore & within few minutes he was sick :( :cry: He's still really hot too, So i grabbed the flannel & tried cooling the back of his neck & forehead before he asked to go back to bed, so i let him with a pj top on but with a blanket (thin thing) He woke at 7.30 and said his forehead was hurting and was a bit upset, so he climbed in my bed & fell asleep til half 9 (i just kept the blanket down to his legs) He's led on the settee again now with blanket & telling me his head is hurting still and he's talking to me when i speak to him. I've got calpol, ibuprofen & 2 cough meds for him & a bloody piriton liquid :hissy: I'll try pop shop after & see if they have nurofen .
He's asking for a butty just wondering should i give it or not ? At least his calpol wont be on an empty belly . I feel so helpless & i dont like seeing him so poorly :cry:

The nurse told me when aidan gets a tempreture put him in a tepid bath like not really cold but not warm either

Then leave him naked and get him to lay down
xx

Everything i offer he refuses & just gets upset, he loves baths too but he keeps saying no coz his head is hurting so i've got the damp facecloth out again :( Made him the butty he wanted but then he said no, Offered him bit of an ice lolly but he didn't want it. He's sipping tiny amounts of water & is drifting in & out of sleep . Even the cat keeps coming to him which is VERY un like her.

Everything i offer he refuses & just gets upset, he loves baths too but he keeps saying no coz his head is hurting so i've got the damp facecloth out again :( Made him the butty he wanted but then he said no, Offered him bit of an ice lolly but he didn't want it. He's sipping tiny amounts of water & is drifting in & out of sleep . Even the cat keeps coming to him which is VERY un like her.

Maybe get him checked out by a doctor hun
xx

Nurofen and ibuprofen are the same hun so don't bother buying any more. Nurofen is just a brand.

I think I would follow this up today hun and get him seen either at your gp or out of hours. The danger is he will get dehydated if he's not keeping anything down and normally paracetamol and ibuprofen make them more comfortable even if its just for a few hours :(

Heres a little checklist for dehydration but my advice is to ring your gp and try and get an emergency appointment, will you let us know?

https://www.symptomsofdehydration.com/

:hugs:

Thanks hun i've checked the link you gave & some of the dehydration symptoms are what he's showing or got, I keep trying to get him to drink but he's just sipping. He's had half hour sleep at half 11 & just eaten the middle of a slice of bread but left the crusts.

He's just wearing a pj top, nothing else & a thin blanket still on his legs but when he fell asleep he was dripping with sweat so cooled him with the cloth whilst asleep. He doesn't want to get up & is still quite wobbly on his legs.

He's still complaining of headache, So i'm just going to give some ibuprofen if there is no change in 2 hrs i'm going to phone the docs & get a taxi down.
I've a friend who can drive me the out of hours service if he changes after tea time so i've already warned him too.

Will let you know how he goes ladies, Thankyou for the advice x

I would definatly be getting him an appt at gp hun. sounds like you are doing everything you can, its awful when they are poorly :( x

I wouldn't bother waiting 2 hours, i'd just get him seen today; the headache itself could be dehydration :( You are doing everything right hun, if they won't drink or can't keep it down theres not alot you can do other than seek help.

Let us know later xxx

Right he's had 1 dose of the ibuprofen on top of the calpol earlier & i'm shocked at the result ... He's got up off the settee & sung baa baa black sheep , gave me a cuddle & said in his croaky voice " not nice being poorly mummy, love u forever " & got back on settee lol I went to the toilet & when i came back down i found him in the fridge eating ham, he feels warm still but his legs are so much cooler & his cheeks are much cooler too :) He's led back down & is drifting asleep to dora the explorer .

Its great stuff, glad its working now :hugs:

He still seems a tad better but the temp is coming back again so i've just given him his next dose of calpol hoping i can squeeze some ibuprofen in before he falls asleep but so glad he seems a touch better :) thankyou ladies !!

It's good that he started sweating...means his fever broke. Sipping on things is actually better than drinking them down with his upset stomach, so just try and keep him doing that. I hope he feels better really soon

Just taken him to bed & he's so warm so again just got a thin ish blanket on him . Gonna keep checking on him think i'm gonna go straight to the docs in the morning if there is no super improvement

Yep I would hun, hope he's ok in the night for you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->