reflux and wind?

bumpsmum

Mummy to Matthew & Daniel
Reaction score
BF a prem baby (he's now 6 weeks old and was born at 33+4) feeding well but last week or so more sickly after a feed and not really winding very well. I always thought bf babies didnt need wnding. Was wondering if its coz he's prem and suggested to HV that maybe he has reflux? even if you wind him for a good while, he then settles and as soon as you then move him or lie him down he's sick and gets hiccups for ages he can then be sick again a while later - ordered a prescription of baby gavisgon to see if that helps.

Also, Matthew sometimes winds and sometimes dont get anything is this normal, I try windig him every time he takes a break whilst feeding and he goes back to breast easily - for a good bit after a feed (in between being sick) he makes wee noises that sound like he's clearing his throat he takes ages to settle esp during the night we have to re-lift him and try to wind him again. HV suggested trying infacol before every feed for a week see if it helps - poor wee fella already gets a few medicines its a shame to have to give him even more , esp as not bottle fed as main meds can be added to milk otherwise.

Anyone had similar experiences or advice? x

My daughter had a reflux problem when she was born, whatever you do don't let them let you your not feeding right as they did with me. For some reason tho I am also sure that my health visitor told me that when breast feeding babys dont winding please dont take my word on this as it was 3 years ago. Try feeding little and often just to make sure that he is getting some milk and also we got told to prop my daughter bed up abit just to help milk stay down.
Not sure how you have to give gavisconwhen breasfeeding as midwife had made me chance to formular but was good stuff.Hope this helps you in some way my first post

You do need to wind a BF baby still hun.

I dont have any experience of reflux unfortunately but I'd tend to agree with you about the Infacol at this point. I'd be tempted to try gripe water as it's only peppermint water and less chemically IYKWIM. I found I got really good burps from her with it.

:D

You ordered infant gaviscon yourself? What symptoms does your LO have aside from having trouble with wind that point you towards reflux?

thaks all,

HV recommended I get a prescription for the gaviscon so I requested it and to call back tomo to find out if he needs to go see GP first or whether he will just gve him it.

Symptoms include - arching back during and after feeds, really fussy, sleeping no more than half an hour at a time, sore raspt throat tha is very noticable when he cries which is a lot. Also watery sick soon after feed which then turns to proper sick on and off for an hour after feed esp when lying on his back, acidy smelling breath and very congested and fussy after feeds.

After reading up a little we rearranged his moses basket so its raised at an inckine at his head he settled quickly after last feed sleeping from half 11 til 2 am :happydance: so its a start x

Thats good hun - some reflux mummie will probably be able to make more suggestions if that's one of the issues.

Oh right i thought you meant you'd just gone and got some yourself ... bad idea :lol:

I would imagine you'll have to see the GP so they can reccomend the right dosage depending on how bad they think it is. Brooke takes one dose in 7oz of milk whereas my BIL's son takes two doeses in 5oz of milk because his is pretty bad.

Hope you can get it sorted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->