Reflux baby at 3 weeks

Unlucky41

Reaction score
Hi ladies my son just turned 3 weeks and suddenly became so unsettled due to reflux. Vomiting heaps, red in the face and arcing back after feeds. He now won't settle into the cot at all during the day. Morning nap i usually push him in the stroller then midday I am so tire so I let him nap on my arm so we co sleep.

With my first she had reflux too and I used to hold her upright for naps and slept with her. I don't want to create the same bad habits.

We are keeping the poor little one nexium to lessen the pain and hoping in a week he would be a new baby. .

Any tips or experience would be great. Although we did have a reflux baby before I can't go through holding him for all naps again especially with a toddler to look after.

Thanks

Have you mentioned it to your doctor? they can give medication if it's really bad and rule out more serious tummy issues. Have you also considered using a sling so he can be upright but you can still get on with other things. Hope he feels better

Yes we saw the doctor on nexium only two dosage so far but haven't seen any improvement yet.

Will be using my carrier when I have to look after two this coming Monday. So not looking forward to it.

7 am to 9pm he fuss even in my arms this can't be right eh. Very impatient waiting for nexium to work.

My son was put on ranitidine at 5 weeks for reflux as he vomited every bottle up and was loosing weight. He slept in his carry cot with a rolled up towel under the head of it at night but slept in a v-pillow during the day. Not ideal but both my babies had reflux and both have been tummy sleepers which helped massively. It's frustrating as anything, and hearing people say it will get better doesn't help. Just try different things and you will find something that works x

my baby had reflux that started at 3 weeks, he did grow out of it but we tried a whole number of things. We persisted with gripe water which did help him burp, we co -slept as he wouldn't settle in the crib, kept him upright after feeds, fed him little and often. It was exhausting. I hope things get better for you soon!

My little one was on Dr browns and he was burped really good after every feeding and still ending up with horrible gas, farting constantly. Once, I started him with babies magic tea, he's comfortable with no gas bubbles.

My son was put on ranitidine at 5 weeks for reflux as he vomited every bottle up and was loosing weight. He slept in his carry cot with a rolled up towel under the head of it at night but slept in a v-pillow during the day. Not ideal but both my babies had reflux and both have been tummy sleepers which helped massively. It's frustrating as anything, and hearing people say it will get better doesn't help. Just try different things and you will find something that works x

Did the ranitidine work?
Was he a happier baby afterwards?
Oh my first was a reflux baby and we did everything people tell you not to do. Co sleep, slept on the tummy made her very needy baby and now toddler although getting better since little brother born.

Just want to know any hopeful stories out there

My baby had horrible reflux from birth and I found out it was because he was intolerant of dairy and soy. I cut it out of my diet and he was all better within a week. Might be worth looking into.. hope your little one feels better soon.

Did the ranitidine work?
Was he a happier baby afterwards?
Oh my first was a reflux baby and we did everything people tell you not to do. Co sleep, slept on the tummy made her very needy baby and now toddler although getting better since little brtother born.

Just want to know any hopeful stories out there

He was a different baby., honestly. He had a very different cry for hunger and discomfort in pain from the reflux that we learnt as time went on. With ranititdine the dose needs increased as baby grows as it's weight prescribed therfore you will notice slight relapses every few weeks. To avoid any hassle just ensure your lo is weighed regularly and you can always call your GP to ask if you can increase the dose and explain the current dose isn't working and give the new weight which has been recorded by the HV. We initially had gaviscon and it caused my son to have a blocked bowel, and also caused my daughter to have severe constipation when she stopped it so it's not one I personally recommend. The ranititdine worked like an absolute dream x

We're on our second reflux baby too. Also on ranitidine which does seem to be helping. I use a sling a lot during the day and he'll nap in his bouncer or his pram on an incline. Crib is on an incline and I've cut out dairy. Nothing makes it completely better though

I agree with the carrier suggestion and also maybe a poddle pod would help for naps. I hear they are good for reflux babies. Ds1 was a reflux baby and became a very needy baby and toddler but is now a pretty relaxed 4yo xx

I agree with the carrier suggestion and also maybe a poddle pod would help for naps. I hear they are good for reflux babies. Ds1 was a reflux baby and became a very needy baby and toddler but is now a pretty relaxed 4yo xx

We've got a poddlepod. Can't say it's really helping. I mainly use for it for nappy changes and tummy time!

We've got a poddlepod. Can't say it's really helping. I mainly use for it for nappy changes and tummy time!

Ohh really? That's such a shame :nope: sorry it wasn't a very helpful suggestion :dohh: xxx

Ohh really? That's such a shame :nope: sorry it wasn't a very helpful suggestion :dohh: xxx

It's probably one of those things, works for some, not for others. Nothing is working over here at the moment though, he's getting pukier by the day!

My baby had horrible reflux from birth and I found out it was because he was intolerant of dairy and soy. I cut it out of my diet and he was all better within a week. Might be worth looking into.. hope your little one feels better soon.

Yes paediatrician told us to stop having diary as well as my daughter has milk allergies. The rashes on his stomach has cleared. Hmm after two weeks on the nexium baby has finally started to cry less. But still won't settle into the cot during the day.

Yes my 2 year old has only just become less needy with the arrival of her baby brother. The symptoms of a reflux baby lasts for ages.

Yes paediatrician told us to stop having diary as well as my daughter has milk allergies. The rashes on his stomach has cleared. Hmm after two weeks on the nexium baby has finally started to cry less. But still won't settle into the cot during the day.

Sounds like he might be in less pain now. Maybe not settling in his cot is just a newborn thing unrelated to reflux. Newborns don't tend to like being out of our arms much.:wacko:

Yes that is what I am thinking too. Especially when I hold him for at least 20 minutes after a feed so nice and cuddly.

Can't wait till he sleeps 6 hours at night hehe. My daughter never slept in the cot for naps. I thought the 2nd child should be easier hehe

Had a terrible day 10 to 4 baby struggles to sleep even in my arms. Red in the face and arching back. Still think reflux is bothering him as cries after a feed when he brings up milk. 16 days of nexium hopefully not too many more. Might have to increased dosage he might be gaining too much weight!

I've known many babies with reflux. If you have a boppy (a U-shaped pillow) have her sleep on that so she's propped up. Also try burping after every 2 ounces she drinks.

Also babies magic tea is great for their digestion and is safe for very young babies. About 2oz once a day. If you're EBF mom you can drink it yourself and pass thru your BM or mix it in expressed milk/formula and give her directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->