• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reflux Mums Unite!

We're EBF and i know its nothing i'm eating because i got ill and couldnt eat anything but dry toast and water for 3 days. She still refluxed.

If it was caused or made worse by cow's milk proteins, they take 2-3 weeks or more to get out of your system and your breastmilk after you stop eating anything with dairy in it, so just three days wouldn't make a difference. Also, another top allergen is wheat, which would be found in the dry toast. It is much less likely to be causing or contributing to the problem than dairy products, but still a possibility.

Hey girls. My GP's put LO on Ranitidine as I mentioned she's screaming after some feeds and kicking her little legs. He told me to exclusively have on this and drop the Gaviston but her vomiting got crazy so he said put her back on Gaviston too, which I've done but the vomiting is still pretty bad on random feeds though the pain isn't there as much.

I just don't think it's working. The vomiting is ridiculous and this seems to make it worse, anyone else find this?

Also, I read some of your posts and I really wonder if she has reflux as she does nap really well, does feed fine (well, in this hot weather she struggles sometimes) and seems fine other than the vomiting (extensive vomiting 3-4 times after each feed, often more than this even) and pain / leg-kicking which she gets about once or twice a day.

Oh my, I wish I had read this thread 6 months ago! My DD has been a puker from day one. The constant, endless comfort feeding. 40 min feeds, 20 mins of winding and settling, 20 min of nap (on my chest of course) and then it starts all over again! Then you get the "its normal", all baby's puke, they feed to build up your supply blah blah bollocks. My DD went from 9th to 95th %. Docs won't do anything if they're gaining weight. As I have lots of allergies, I cut out dairy and very slowly I have seen an improvement. The pain improved quite quickly but the puking has only just started to improve with weaning. Have started introducing wheat and gluten to her diet and had a horrible week where I couldn't put her down to sleep at all. Having flashbacks and palpitations that it's all going to start again!

So so nice to read stories of other Mum's as been feeling like a useless neurotic who is trying to medicalise a 'normal' baby behaviour!

Anyone using domperidone noticed it affect LO feeding? My son takes an hour to feed! I feel so frustrated he's not gaining much and feeds only 24 oz a day I'm wondering if this is due to domperidone

So glad I found this thread. My DD is 7 was tomorrow throws up between feeds, screams in her sleep, won't sleep except on me/in my arms, naps are not more 20 mins and is always scrunching her poor little face and kicking about in pain. The hiccups go on forever! We're seeing the gp this week but when I discussed it with her while I was there to see her for myself she said virtually every baby she sees now has reflux and she thinks its because they're gulping their feeds.

Whatever it is I'm exhausted and can't stand to see my little one in pain. We're EBF and i know its nothing i'm eating because i got ill and couldnt eat anything but dry toast and water for 3 days. She still refluxed. It seems the meds are trial & error and don't always work for everyone. Are there alternatives?

I would be shocked if your LO didn't get diagnosed with Reflux because it is pretty much textbook symptoms. But then again, Drs can be way off sometimes...if it doesn't get diagnosed and the issues continue and YOU find it hard to handle, KEEP PUSHING, sometimes it takes Mama Bear coming out for things to be done!

I haven't come across an alternative to medicating, not even my natropath had an answer. So you are best to give the meds a go and give them time: also, keep on the elimination path because CMPI can flare up reflux.

Need to have a rant - that or a huge cry.

We thought we'd got away with reflux with E as the first few weeks she didn't have many symptoms - she had lots of others, which turns out to be CMPI, a classic case actually, but I'd never heard of it before so we didn't cotton on. She's just started on allergy milk this morning, and since then she's stopped getting hives, so I think it is working for the CMPI issues, but reflux seems to have been lurking with a vengeance.

Since yesterday she's been refusing feeds during the day, and today was worse, she had two 4oz feeds over night and then has had no more than about 1oz at each feed since. She's pretty frantic now, clearly hungry but after drinking a few mouthfuls she screams and screams and doesn't stop, for it to then start all over again. She's probably had no more than 14oz in the past 24hrs, and in this hot weather it worries me! She hasn't slept all day, bar the odd ten minute nap, and she's currently propped completely upright on my pillows as even the reflux pillow is too flat for her and this is the only way to settle her.

We were going to head up to the baby hospital but there won't be a consultant on until morning so we're going to head up first thing and beg for some help. I'm just exhausted thinking about the Gaviscon, Ranitidine and then Omeprazole route we have to go through before it works - it took six months last time (with her brother) before we finally got a diagnosis and by that point we were all pretty frazzled, depressed and exhausted. Can't believe we have to do this again. :cry:

So happy to find this thread. :)

DD has silent reflux.

We are on gaviscon and Zantac.

The poor little thing suffers so much and spends so much time crying. :(

She is getting better though, finally sleeping in her cot (with a mattress wedge) whereas before she'd chicks and gag in there (even at a steep angle) so had to sleep in a bouncy chair.

I've cut out all dairy and soy. And also feel like tomato and onion make her worse.

Need to have a rant - that or a huge cry.

We thought we'd got away with reflux with E as the first few weeks she didn't have many symptoms - she had lots of others, which turns out to be CMPI, a classic case actually, but I'd never heard of it before so we didn't cotton on. She's just started on allergy milk this morning, and since then she's stopped getting hives, so I think it is working for the CMPI issues, but reflux seems to have been lurking with a vengeance.

Since yesterday she's been refusing feeds during the day, and today was worse, she had two 4oz feeds over night and then has had no more than about 1oz at each feed since. She's pretty frantic now, clearly hungry but after drinking a few mouthfuls she screams and screams and doesn't stop, for it to then start all over again. She's probably had no more than 14oz in the past 24hrs, and in this hot weather it worries me! She hasn't slept all day, bar the odd ten minute nap, and she's currently propped completely upright on my pillows as even the reflux pillow is too flat for her and this is the only way to settle her.

We were going to head up to the baby hospital but there won't be a consultant on until morning so we're going to head up first thing and beg for some help. I'm just exhausted thinking about the Gaviscon, Ranitidine and then Omeprazole route we have to go through before it works - it took six months last time (with her brother) before we finally got a diagnosis and by that point we were all pretty frazzled, depressed and exhausted. Can't believe we have to do this again. :cry:

:( Hugs mama, the only advice I have is to try and remember it will pass eventually, and that you will get through it! Do you have a reflux support group near you? At the very least, you know a bit of what is ahead of you and have a few strategies in place to attack it. Meds, baby wearing, co-sleeping upright for a few weeks? xx

Boooo...tried to wean off the Ranitidine but had a bad day of clinging and she started the old puking thing again...sigh! So still on the meds at 7.5 months. :wacko:

Another one also happy to find this thread! My LO has silent reflux and has been on ranitidine for 6 weeks which has not made any difference. She's also on pepti junior milk to see if that helps which again hasn't made a difference. Currently waiting for the paed to prescribe something else.

I feel like I'm the only one out there that has a baby that cries constantly :( plus she suffers badly with wind which also makes her cry. We hardly ever go anywhere as I spend my day pacing the floor trying to calm her down

My daughter has silent reflux. She was in the hospital for it for a few days back around 3 months old after she had a little episode where she held her breath.

It seems to be really exacerbated by my overactive letdown and oversupply. I had a bit of an under-supply problem from her being a poor latcher (yes, still at 6 months!!!), and so was taking Fenugreek supplements. Well, they worked SO well that now I have an oversupply! Her diapers have been green, and her reflux came back after winding down for a while.

Ugh. I can't win! Now I'm off the supplements and block feeding. Hopefully it will sort itself out. The green poop, reflux, and gas is making her cranky.

I posted about three weeks ago about domperidone affecting appetite and we took him off it two weeks ago, feeds are much better, still not perfect but easier. Anyway he put on 1lb1oz in two weeks where as before he put on 6 oz in two weeks. Seems it was affecting his appetite, I Just thought I'd share for anyone else who may wonder similar x

My DS is 11 weeks and is finally settling on his meds omeprezole and domperidone he is still sick sometimes but less often and no more pain thank goodness!!! He used to scream so bad he would turn purple :( but now thanks to omeprezole he is like a different child! He sleeps and eats and snuggles, he stays in his cot between feeds at night and naps in the day! I feel so lucky but really this is just what normal babies do.

However, EVERY time he is fussy I think ....ohh nooo the meds have stopped working!!! I panic that we will be going back to purple screams and both of us crying our eyes out :( I hope this doesn't happen and that I will stop fearing it one day

Hi! How do you give your baby the omeprezole? Thanks!

I feel like I'm the only one out there that has a baby that cries constantly :( plus she suffers badly with wind which also makes her cry. We hardly ever go anywhere as I spend my day pacing the floor trying to calm her down

This! :hugs:

My DS is 11 weeks and is finally settling on his meds omeprezole and domperidone he is still sick sometimes but less often and no more pain thank goodness!!! He used to scream so bad he would turn purple :( but now thanks to omeprezole he is like a different child! He sleeps and eats and snuggles, he stays in his cot between feeds at night and naps in the day! I feel so lucky but really this is just what normal babies do.

However, EVERY time he is fussy I think ....ohh nooo the meds have stopped working!!! I panic that we will be going back to purple screams and both of us crying our eyes out :( I hope this doesn't happen and that I will stop fearing it one day

Hi, I boil some water put the tablet in the syringe then suck about 6 ml of The water into the syringe and rapid cool in ice water then I hold his cheeks and syringe small amounts at a time in and he screams at me lots but keeps it down. I noticed if you make sure the balls are over the opening of the syringe they go easier. Also I don't feed him for 30 mins before and after to make sure he doesn't puke it out. On the odd occasion I tried to feed sooner he puked straight away and all his meds came out too :dohh:

Hope this helps :flower: it is a pain but once it's done you can forget meds for the day :thumbup:

Hi, I boil some water put the tablet in the syringe then suck about 6 ml of The water into the syringe and rapid cool in ice water then I hold his cheeks and syringe small amounts at a time in and he screams at me lots but keeps it down. I noticed if you make sure the balls are over the opening of the syringe they go easier. Also I don't feed him for 30 mins before and after to make sure he doesn't puke it out. On the odd occasion I tried to feed sooner he puked straight away and all his meds came out too :dohh:

Hope this helps :flower: it is a pain but once it's done you can forget meds for the day :thumbup:

Thank you! My Dr prescribed Prevacid, but insurance doesn't cover it and it would be $300, so the pharmacist said another option would be omeprazole. How does it work for your baby? Thanks again!

Hi everyone!

I am a FTM with my little girl who is 2 months tomorrow. The first 2-3 weeks of her life she was calm and contented, then the reflux kicked in! She would scream and scream, I used to get so scared. Her head looked like it would explode, she could barely breathe from screaming so hard, and her face looked panicky. It was like her little life was miserable because she was always upset, crying or screaming. One day the screaming was so bad I was so scared that my cousin and I took her to the after hours doctor (but she was fine when we got there and they said nothing is wrong). I cried so often, I had no idea what was going on! She does vomit/spill a lot, but mostly I think it is silent reflux because one day we stood in a quiet room and I could hear her constantly bringing something up into her mouth and swallowing, then she would wriggle and scream each time it happened.

Feeding was an absolute nightmare, I was in tears so often. She would often feed for 1-2 minutes, come off screaming, then I would have to calm her down for half an hour before she would go back on. Then she would feed another minute and scream again. I almost got used to it, and my Mum came over one day and saw her feeding like this and said 'oh my goodness what's going on?'. I just said this is how feeding is for us. She said no this is not normal and told me to go to see my Dr. I felt silly, like what was I supposed to say to the Dr, that my baby cries a lot? But I'm so glad I did because she started LO on Losec (Omeprazole).

Initially she was put on 1/3 of a 10mg capsule per day, but we have just been increased to 1/2 a 10mg capsule per day because the 1/3 was wearing off (I think the 1/2 does too though, but it's a lot better). We open up the capsule and pour out the little balls, then mix them with breast milk on a spoon and give them to her that way. It's relatively easy except sometimes the balls stick to the spoon, but usually after 5-6 spoonfuls of milk they all go down.

She is now like a different baby, so much happier! Still quite hard to put to sleep though. She still has grumpy evenings but I am confident that the grumpy evenings are just her doing normal baby things :)

The same thing happened to me with insurance. The omeprazole worked great!!! I had a pharmacy that made a liquid compound. That was so much easier than the tablets.

Thank you! My Dr prescribed Prevacid, but insurance doesn't cover it and it would be $300, so the pharmacist said another option would be omeprazole. How does it work for your baby? Thanks again!

It's fantastic! He is like a different baby he smiles, plays and enjoys things now and eats without screaming. I defo recommend trying it for your LO if you can. They wouldn't give us the liquid version as it goes off after two weeks or something...that's what they told me anyways maybe it was more about the money. Keeping everything crossed your LO feels better soon x

Hi! So my Dr called my insurance company and they covered the Prevacid. I still had to pay $59, whic is way better than $300. I got it tonight and will start it tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will work for my poor baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->