Reflux, Sleeping and Formula ... Oh my! Help!

Amythyst

Reaction score
Guys, I'm in a pickle. My little three week old son was having bad issues with gas and pain from similac sensitive. He also has reflux. It was sort of a silent reflux before but after visiting the pediatrician the other day, she recommended we switch formulas to alimentum or Nutrimagen. He absolutely hated the Nutrimagen and even when we mixed it he didn't feel full from it and it was so "thin".

The alimentum he likes and low and behold he started sleeping 2-3 hours with it and doesn't seem to have the gas pains anymore... This is only after one evening on it.

My problem now is when he sleeps, he makes all these wild noises and arches his back and just seems miserable. It doesn't wake him up but he is definately grunting, snorting, squeaking and swallowing constantly. I can't sleep cause I'm so freaked out by his sleeping.

Also, he is spitting up now a lot. This morning I fed him and he spit up so much of the food that I had to feed him again an hour later cause he was so hungry.

I have him elevated when he is sleeping in his rock n play and he is on Zantac but it doesn't apear to be working. He has only been on it twice a day for two days though.

Please help! Do we stick with the alimentum and just deal with the crazy sleeping and reflux? Is there something we can add to the formula that will help keep it down more?

I see no one has answered to your question yet. My almost 7 week old has bad reflux too and he throws up a lot and is just an unhappy baby because of all the spit up. We are on pepcid and alimentum too but it seems to be not getting any better at all :/ He did better on the alimentum ready to feed but it is so expensive and we can't afford it. Did your bubs spit up less on the nutramigen. I'm considering switching to that one.

My son was very bad even on alimentum. He ended up on previcid once morning and then at night, he had very bad acidvreflux with projectile vomiting that really hurt him.. also was on pepcid in between that. I also used gas drops ten drops each bottle and I used gripe water, both natural. I know it sounds like alot, but he suffered so bad at first and not only stopped gaining weight, he lost weight. With this regeim he was a much happier more comfy baby. If nothing else try the gripe water. It helped us so much. I hope your little one gets relief. Also my Lo hated when we first switched the for.mula, so we did half and half and eased him into it. We tried breast feeding but it turned out he was allergic to all milk products, even my milk. So that is possible too

Hi, I'm currently in the hospital with one of my twins who are 5 weeks old. She has tested positive for reflux and the pediatrician changed her to the nutramigen as well as adding a teaspoon of baby rice to every ounce of formula. My baby had had only 2 bottles so far and she is like a whole other baby now. Much less squirming and crying after eating. I was surprised that the pediatrician prescribed baby rice so early in age but it has really made a difference with keeping Down the formula because she was throwing up 7-10 times a day :wacko:

Oh yea baby rice. Help tons too but not for every baby so early..glad ur little ones feels so much better

My son was like this, neutramigen helped but he still grunted in his sleep from about 3am til he woke for the day, every night. Eventually he grew out of it (at about 5 months from memory, around the same time he learnt to sit up unaided). We added prescription gaviscon to the routine (given every morning from memory) - he still was sick a lot but it seemed to bother him less. X

I just switched my 7 week old to enfamil lactose free. It's only been a day but so far, different baby.

My 4 week old is the same. He has reflux and I wanted to stay away from medications until I tried everything else. My daughter had this when she was a baby as well, so I have some experience with it. My daughter was put on Enfamil AR which is basically formula enriched with rice starch. It helped for her. My infant now however, couldn't stand it. The formula is full of bubbles and it causes a lot of gas pains with him. So he is on Enfamil Gentlease formula with one tsp per 2oz of rice cereal. He is a brand new baby!

When my daughter we took her straight to the doctor. She put her on Zantac. It took a few days to work, and she almost completely stopped vomiting. We get the occasional spit up, but nothing like it used to be.

We used Dr Browns bottles to help with the gas problems and Gaviscon twice a day with Colief to take the lactose out the formula. That worked for us but you may need to try several avenues before you find your baby's solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->