Refusing a catheter

mrs.amillian

Mumma to a stunna
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

This one is for Mum's who have had a C-section.

Did you all have catheters inserted?

Did anyone refuse?

I really, really don't want one, and personally don't see the need unless I am unable to pass urine after the op. It is a spinal not a general, and I'm also in a tricky position of being a nurse and knowing the likelyhood of getting an infection due to a catheter insertion :dohh:

Plus I really don't want to be held up or hampered in my movements after the baby is born.

Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

You dont know its going in because they do it after the spinal. When it came out it felt like a bubble popping. Hard to describe didnt hurt. Did sting a bit for a few days after though.

They insert it after the spinal has started working.

It is just because you are numb and can't feel if you need a wee.

You won't know and when they remove it, it's painless.

I had a cath with all 3 of mine and it didn't hinder my movement.

V xxx

I am a RN too and never really wanted one. HOwever I had a spinal with my first birth and I could not move my legs for hours afterwards.. I certainly never felt any sensation down below so I would have totally been incontinent without a catheter. My spinal was at 6am and it was about 3-4pm before I could actually get up out of bed and move properly after I had proper sensation in my legs. I had pretty bad tearing and even after the catheter was removed... I had a few days of not feeling anything down there.

I would recommend the catheter. Not sure if the length of no feeling in my legs though was a normal time frame.

Thanks for the replies :hugs:

Do they discuss it with you before they do it? Do you have any choice what-so-ever?

Or is it just done while you can't feel it?

When I thought I was going to need a c-section I panicked and made a thread on this board too, and there was a woman who refused to get a catheter with her c-section, and I was planning on doing the same thing. I no longer need a c-section but if I WAS going to have a section I would have definitely refused the catheter. I don't do well with that sort of thing! I'm sure it will be fine with or without though. Just wanted to let you know that you CAN refuse it.

I had a spinal with my C-Section and I was still numb for a good 12 hours after, I didn't even feel it x

I would have been more concerned about peeing myself for the 6 hours or so when I couldn't feel my legs at all post-op.

They need to monitor urine output as well. Without the catheter we would have had no idea that my kidneys were shutting down due to pre-eclampsia first time round.

The catheter is a preventative measure which also to keeps your bladder empty during the surgery, therefore reducing the risk of trauma whilst they are cutting you etc. As well, the catheter reduces the risk of urinary retention which is high if you have no sensation to your bladder to empty it, you don't necessarily wet yourself when you have had a spinal/epidural, the bladder will just retain and fill to burst so to speak. The bladder is the last to receive sensation back post anaesthesia. So if you go into retention you will require long term catherisation. Not nice. :)

So just bear this in mind when it is 6-12hrs post caesarian section and you still haven't been up for the toilet. All that time your bladder has filled, all the fluids they put into you etc.

I have had 2 sections and you dont feel anything going on or out. i was never offered a choice. it will be a good 12 hours before you can get out of bed and even then thats normally just so they can change the sheets. Its very painful to move following a section so no way would you be able to hobble to the bathroom for the 1st few hours. You may feel shakey as well depending on your iron levels. they will also want you to rest as much as possible. They will hand you your baby ect for the 1st 12 -24 hours as you wont want to pull on it. And then there the fact that for a good 4-5 hours after you wont have the feeling to no if you need to go or have gone. I have had a cafeter in with no spinal or pain relief. It does not hurt at all.

I was never offered the choice, it hadn't occurred to me that I might need one. I have really bad issues about them (which I am not going to share here and make other people have the same ones) and I was incredibly upset about having it. BUT that said I had no problems with it. I did end up emptying it myself a few times as I was drinking an awful lot of water but other than that it was fine. Getting it removed was a huge relief though.

I was thinking the same thing myself today so thanks for posting! I hate catheters, I hate the thought of them going in and I hate them in situ when yoh move and can feel the tugging,I also hate the thought of taking them out.When I had my last section they out it in after spinal so you don't feel anything- that was what I most worried about weirdly and I kept on and in at the nurse t be careful! I made them take it out soon as poss afterwards, which was about 6 hours after the op and I had to prove I could walk t do it, it was a bit hard weeing afterwards and the nurse threatened to put it back in unless I weed so. Just drank loads and loads to wee! I would like to refuse as I wouldn't care aout wetting myself, but I do care about what another poster said about retaining water so I guess il be having ine! X

I'm more then likely having a section also, and im not exactly thrilled with the notion of having a catheter inserted

The midwife told me though, that after a section, you must stay in bed for the whole day!

I am guessing i'll be in to much pain to move anyway, and I would rather have one inserted then urinate allover myself several times during the day and having to get my bedding changed constantly?!

The idea repulses me but in all honesty if my legs are not working how the heck else am I going to pee??? I would much rather be having my bladder emptied into a bag, than have to go in the bed because I can't walk..........

eww I guess if you did manage to pee in the bed you wouldn't notice because you would be all numb.

As much as I dislike them I will get one, the doctors know whats best in terms of the surgery and recovery so if they recommend it I will be going with it.

If i have to have a section i will be refuseing a catheter , i would rather just sit on a pad that doesnt bother me , its your body you do have the right to choose, unless of corce there is real medical need for one

If i have to have a section i will be refuseing a catheter , i would rather just sit on a pad that doesnt bother me , its your body you do have the right to choose, unless of corce there is real medical need for one

As I said in my previous post, you don't wet yourself though, your bladdar has no sensation to empty, your bladder will just fill and fill, from all the fluid you have through your IV and then you will go into retention, its damaging to your bladder and is very painful. If this happens you have to have a catheter put in for weeks, maybe longer as you won't be able to pee normally. Seen this happen many times, not nice at all. :)

The fullness of your bladder would cause undue pressure against the section wound as well - I'm sure I remember them telling me that while they were prepping me for my op.

It makes sense too, as since I've been home when I've needed the loo in the night and my bladder has been fuller, my wound has ached a bit for a while after I've been.

Having seen how full my bag was in hospital and the frequency with which it needed to be emptied, I'm sure I'd have gone pop with that pressing against the wound. Still makes a change from no urine at all like during my first birth I suppose :haha:

As well as being numb for hours after birth, it is great not having to go to the toilet for 12 hrs after birth. With my 1st section I was treated wrongly and told to go in shower 5hrs after baby was born - could barely walk. They took out catheter and I ended up dehydrated as limited drinking cos I didn't want to walk across ward to loo during visiting time etc! With 2nd I drank loads and didn't need to get out of bed or worry about leaving baby alone.

Am I the only person who loved having the catheter? When In so much pain after a section, the last thing you need on your mind is worrying about trying to go for a wee!....

Any one considering refusing one, please give it some more thought. Yes it may be uncomfortable going in or out, and yes there is even a small risk if infection, but please don't hinder your section recovery because if these things. Trying to get up and about to soon after a section can really put your recovery back..... The risks of not having one are a lot higher than if you do :flower:

Fully expecting a shouting at for this post :/... It's said with love...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->