Relactation?

CeriB

Reaction score
Hi ladies :flower:

I stopped bf just before 1 weeks old as LO was readmitted to hospital for weight loss, jaundice and several other issues. I supplemented with formula and he took it straight away and has thrived ever since. I am thinking about trying him with bf again but not sure 😬

He is doing so much better with a bottle and formula than he was with me and I'm not sure if trying bf again would push him backwards. I think I want to do it more for me than him which makes me feel very selfish. I'm pretty sure I still have milk left as I can squeeze a drop out and my boobs feel fuzzy and tingly randomly throughout the day. I'm not sure he would latch on anymore as he is so used to the bottle it would be confusing.

Does anyone have any experience they could share?

I don't think it's selfish to want to try to breastfeed. Did you ever get help identifying what caused his weightloss etc in those early days. Now that he is no longer jaundiced he may take to breastfeeding much more easily than before. It can be hard work establishing milk supply but if there is milk still there that is a good sign. Baby is best at stimulating supply BUT if LO is too frustrated by your low supply at first you may need to pump to increase it before getting LO to do any real feeding from you. I do think you need support and help, are there any groups/organisations near you? You can call the National Breastfeeding helpline for info about where to seek support plus La Leche league and NCT have trained volunteers who can come to your house and support you.

I have been messaged by the bf support worker in my area so I could try her. The hospital referred me to the bf council on site but she never came out- I guess she wasn't there.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to confuse him or frustrate him but I would quite like to give it another shot. I don't regret the decision to supplement in hospital or to reduce bf when I did. It was what we needed to do at the time.

Thanks for your reply :flower:

I think what I would do personally is start slow with actual breastfeeding and pump as well here and there. Offer the breast when you know he isn't starving.. That way might try longer before getting frustrated if there isn't much there. I'd keep with the formula at first at least some to make sure he isn't hungry. But I'm no professional and this is just my opinion. The more you can offer the breast and he tries the better chance you have to establish a good supply. It's not been super long since you stopped and since he is doing better and you aren't completely dried up, I think you have a good shot. Good luck!

You are still technically under the hospital feeding team as he is so young so they should be supporting you, but you may need to push a bit to get them to notice you. At the same time you can still use voluntary organisations and support groups etc. You don't have to feel like one person couldn't help so that's it; it can take s while of trial and error to get to s place where things are working for you.

put him to breast and see what he will do, thats the only way to know.

If anything, get away from formula and pump

As he is still so young, skin to skin will be really good too. It will help kick start his feeding reflexes and help with your milk supply.

Thank you for your replies. :flower:

I have tried offering him breast but he won't latch on. He shakes his head and tries to latch on but just can't seem to do it. I've tried several holds and tried squeezing my nipple to get him on but no luck. I've tried to express but getting nothing. I know I've got some milk there as I can squeeze out a few drops with my fingers but not loads. I'll keep trying him but not sure I'll get far. Thank you for all your advice 💗

Thank you for your replies. :flower:

I have tried offering him breast but he won't latch on. He shakes his head and tries to latch on but just can't seem to do it. I've tried several holds and tried squeezing my nipple to get him on but no luck. I've tried to express but getting nothing. I know I've got some milk there as I can squeeze out a few drops with my fingers but not loads. I'll keep trying him but not sure I'll get far. Thank you for all your advice 💗

maybe try a nipple shield too, it will feel like a normal bottle nipple

For relactation, I would strongly recommend you look into using a Medela SNS or Lactaid nursing trainer...it is basically a container or bag/bottle attached to thin tubing that can be taped at the nipple...baby will latch, therefore stimulating milk production, getting your own milk, and he'll also receive the supplement at the same time. Have your local LC help you with this. If he begins latching well again with the use of the SNS or nursing trainer, it is possible your supply can increase to the point where you can stop using it, and just EBF. Good luck - it is definitely a possibility!

I agree with the lactation nursing trainer. And throw in a pumping session here and there if you can. You won't get much but it is extra stimulation.
I am so happy to hear you are not beating yourself up for giving you LO formula when he needed that supplement. You are doing great!

Have you tried a nipple shield yet Mama to get him to get used to latching again after a bottle?

I agree with all of the suggestions these lovely ladies have offered especially getting a pump. It will really help your milk supply come back in, between breastfeeding.

I went through something similar with my first baby because she was born at 27 weeks and had to stay in the NICU. So I had to teach her how to breastfeed again after she came home because she got used to bottles when I wasn't around to breastfeed her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->