rent question

im rude? any time i post any thread i get arsy comments left right and centre, if its about my OH we both get slagged off, when i start a discussion im the one in the wrong for it people bring a load of crap up totally un related, if i mention i rec some benefit as wel as working i get a arsy comment for that, i want to ask for a reduction on rent bcos ill be paying out of my own money.. arsy comment, im not sure if its because you are all majorly hormonal or for whatever reason none of you actually like me but whatever, im out!

Why does every thread have to end up like this?

i have no idea why does everyone always have to be rude towards me?
its defo not a chip on my shoulder its every single time i make a thread about something, the only time i dont get arsy comments is if its about my son, which shows that there is more than likely a problem with me, i ask a question about my over due contract bill, got a arsy comment that theres no excuse not to pay it, i ask a question about my rent which is over charged as i currently get HB, i get arsy comments about wanting to pay less now i pay my self, if i ask a question about potty training a q12 month old i got arsy comments for doing that!
oh yeah and thanks for the well wishes on my job, oh wait... there wasnt any was there? nope too busy being arsy!
and if this isnt the case why do i feel after every thread people are getting at me, slagging me off for something, whether its a abusive OH, my opinions or because i claim benefits.

I think you add more drama to every single thread you ever start which is why I usually don't bother replying. Wish I hadn't bothered replying to this one as you are systematically defensive for no need and outraged when people don't agree with you. God, just ask the landlord, you clearly don't value anyone's opinion on this forum.

You asked if it was reasonable. People don't think it's reasonable and you think that's personal.

If you knew what you just explained, then surely you don't need the opinions of people who wouldn't know that? You made it seem like it was about the lack of repairs and the fact you want it cheaper, nothing more, nothing less.

I think you need to consider in future what kind of replies you will get based on the information you give. You didn't explain how your landlord deals with his rent, nor did we know that your landlord was connected to your previous employment.

You can take the replies onboard that benefit you and leave the rest, but some of your threads continuously end like this, and you will become known for it. :shrug:

Going back to the original question and ignoring the drama, I don't think it is reasonable. Like others have said, ask the landlord to repair the damage (it's perfectly reasonable to do so) or find somewhere that you find to be worth the money. We lived in a one bed flat and rent was £350 which is really really cheap in the area. Turns out it was riddle with damp. We moved out right away. Personally, no matter how much money I was saving I wouldn't risk my own health living in a damp property, never mind my child's health.

We pay £550 a month on a big 3 bed house. Amelia's room is a double, so is our room, and then baby's nursery is a single. We have a big kitchen diner, a massive garden and a good sized living room. A toilet downstairs, and an upstairs bathroom. For what we pay, we've got a very good/big house! Our old house was a tiny 2 bed, and we paid the same price. However, when we moved in here there was a few repairs that needed doing.. I got on to the landlord straightaway and he has been sorting them one by one. It's perfectly reasonable to ask the landlord to fix things, that is part of being a landlord - looking after the tennants, he's not doing his job properly if he's fobbing you off.

However, I wouldn't say you could decrease the rent under and circumstances, as that's the amount you agreed on when you moved in and signed the tenancy. Even if you think he's a bit of a scammer! The only time I'd say it would be reasonable to pay less, is if it's unliveable due to a fault that the landlord is refusing to fix, but even then you'd need permission to do so otherwise you'd be breaking the law I guess..

I hope you get it sorted!

Sorry but I think it is unreasonable to ask for cheaper rent on the basis you want to pay cash.

You signed up knowing what the rent was in advance so I can't quite understand why you think it's appropriate to ask for cheaper rent. If there are problems with the property, then of course speak to your Landlord to get these fixed.

On a side note, the average rent in my town is £600 for a 3 bed semi (2 double + 1 box room), 1 bath, living room + kitchen.

as the one im in is classed as a 2 bed it cant be charged as a 3 really, a 2 bed is about £425 in the area im in, thinking of applying for council housing and pay £200 a month cheaper. ive asked loads of people the question ive asked here and everyone ive asked have said its not unreasonable to ask him, whats the worst he could say, no?

anyway change the subject a little, when do i tell the tax credits i have a new job? once ive started or signed the contract?
also what do i do about over time?
im contracted to work 25 hours but apparently no one actually works them hours they work more, so do i tell them im contracted to 25 hours a week, then at the end of the tax year thats when you tell them about the over time?

Tell them when you start, use your 25 hours. Ring back a month later to adjust because you'll know roughly what you work in a month and will be able to work your wages out accordingly. If you don't do that, you'll owe loads at the end of the tax year.

I think you are best moving, I do think it is unreasonable asking for a reduction, you agreed a price at the beginning and were happy enough with that then. I am a little unsure why you asked seen as you seem dismissive if everyones opinions and state that "everyone else" seems to think we are wrong.

As for Tax Credits, contact them as soon as you start, state 25 hours but say you expect it to be more, If you know how many hours you are likely to work then let them know if not give it a few months and see what your working week on average is, its ok if one week is 25 and another 35 then your working week is 30, if that makes sense? It easier to just keep updating them than be owing them money you have to repay.

thanks for the arsy comments again, no surprise there it is me your talking to.. anyway..
yes i did rec. HB before and why do i think about asking for a reduction? the landlord put the rent as £550 not because he thinks thats fair, but because he knows thats what the HB will pay, i work for an estate agents and have done for 4 years, my landlord has said on many occasions..
'if its HB tenant ask for (example) £600 if its cash £500-£550 will be okay' not because he doesnt trust DSS tenants, he couldnt care whether it is a cash or HB tenant, but as i say because he knows the HB will pay that much!!

am i still been unreasonable asking for a reduction in rent because im now paying cash when one of the reasons he charged so much is because he knew the HB would pay it.

its actually a 2 bed house like i said, but was made into 3 bedrooms one of whick isnt big enough to be a bedroom!

I think you mean thank you for your replies :shrug: It's interesting that you ask for opinions and then get upset when people give them, I don't quite understand why people do that.

Anyhow, I'm out now as I know nothing about HB, I didn't even realise that's what was meant at first.

It might not be reasonable, but I don't see any harm in asking, he can only say no x

IF the conditions have got worse since you took the property then i think its reasonable to ask. If he doesnt then make sure you get him to fix everything that needs doing

I think what is a bit frustrating about this thread is how you were happy to pay over the odds for the house when it wasn't your money paying for it (and someone was paying for it, tax payers) but now you are the one paying over the odds you think it's unfair. You should have said from the start that what the landlord was doing was immoral not now that it inconveniences you, so that in essence is why it is unreasonable, if it isnt worth £550 a month then by all means bring it up, but he obviously isn't of good character so I'm not sure how far you will go with it. I would mention all the problems you have with the house, they should be dealt with regardless.

I also don't think it's anything to do with you receiving hb. I've brought up a few times on here that I receive it and have not had any comments.
I don't know how it is for your area but I know here the council haven't raised lha in quite a few years but rent has gone up. Most people have to pay additionally for their rent.
If you feel it is reasonable to ask for a reduction then ask. You don't ask you don't get. It's just the consensus from your question of is it unreasonable is yes it is. People have then expressed their opinions as to why which is what you asked for.
If your living in a house your really not happy in, would a reduction in rent really help? It wouldn't help those issues, they would still be there.
In regards to your tc question I agree with pp, tell them when you start then try a get a good idea of your overtime and then update them. Maybe declare you will earn more than you currently do so that when you renew in April with the overtime it should even out? Also tc don't go to the next hour bracket till 30 hours I believe.

Your opening post wasn't very clear.
You just said cash, to the LL your money or HB money is still cash, one is not worth more than the other.
I also think its frustrating that you felt the rent was okay when it wasn't money coming out of your paycheque.

its not that i thought the rent was okay when it wasnt me paying for it, when i moved in and agreed the rent i was aware of a new kitchen which was fitted (i saw it before and saw the 'new' kitchen waiting to be fit) i was told there is no damp, the window frames are wood but the glass is double glazed so should be no damp or condensation, he told me that anything i need doing give it a few months and he will do it eg. new carpet, new flooring in bathroom, new windows, doors and other improvement. just as summer ended and we had bad rain, my house flooded as the water came down the gutter and onto my wood door and leaked through, there is a problem with the waste pipes in that they arent on a decline enough so crap gets stuck and when i use my washer it stinks the house out.. all of these problems only became apparent after i had moved in, or recently now its getting to winter. my house is damp, all windows condense, still no new door, no new carpet or bathroom flooring, and the kitchen units was bodged in and i cant use the cupboards as i should.
i could have made my post more clear but i wanted to keep it shorter or i can babble on forever, like i have now!

as for my hours at work.. so basically im best telling them im contracted to work 25 hours, expect to work more but wont be sure just yet, then after christmas maybe call them with the hours i work most? i didnt think i would owe them any money at the end of the tax year if i didnt tell them my over time till then? if i work 25 hours i will be taxed for 25 hours, if i work 40 i will be taxed for 40.. any over time i do is paid on the next months wage..

I think it's just that where the rent money is coming from and the rent you are paying are 2 totally different issues I wouldn't mention to him, you should pay what the house is worth, are you aware what other properties in the area rent for? I would push to get all the work doing you need.

With tax credits I would speak to them and ask, but I think what I would do is give an estimate for what you think you will earn this year considering the likely over time and that way they will either be right or owe you, if you only tell them what you're contracted to earn as you say you'll be over paid, tax credits can be a minefield, but if you overestimate it just means you'll get the money back later, you can always adjust the estimate as the year goes on. The only frustrating thing with 25 hours is you won't be entitled to the full time working element which is 30 hours, it's only £750 for the year (if they still do it??) but worth asking about that if you know you will work more than 30 hours.

With tax credits always overestimate! Better that they owe you than the other way around

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->