rent question

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
Ive just got a new full time job (yaaaay)
now i will be paying cash for my rent, is it unreasonable to ask for a deduction? my landlord wants £550 per month, this rent is ridiculous for the property im in, you walk in the front door to the kitchen/living room (about the size of a average living room) directly in front is the stairs, up the stairs there is 4 doors 3 small bedrooms and a cramped bathroom and thats about it. the kitchen work tops and cupboards was bodged in, the work top is cracked, scratched and big gouges missing, its damp, condensed and needs alot of improvement.

i know this may not mean alot to some people as rents are different depending on the area, but lets just say for a 4 bedroom house we have a landlord that charges £600-£650 and thats a 4 bedroom house with 2 gardens, seperate living and kitchen area and generally a bigger house.

so would it be un reasonable to ask for a reduction, i dont feel happy paying £550 cash for a house that is defo not worth that

I don't think it's reasonable if you took the property knowing that was the rent, no.

You need to give them a list of what needs sorting.

Why do you feel a connection between paying cash and a reduction? There is no difference in handing over cash or paying by a direct debit or standing order?

I would say in this instance you should have queried the rent prior to accepting the property, have you signed for the house yet?

If you want things fixed then ask.

You took on the property knowing the price so I don't see on what grounds you can now ask to pay less.

So yeah you are being unreasonable imo. If you are not happy paying so much then look elsewhere.

No, it's not reasonable. If you have signed a contract stating you would pay £550pcm in rent then that is what you should pay, regardless of how your rent is paid.

If there is stuff in the property that you feel is his responsibilty as landlord to sort, then you should draw up a list and give it to him.

Also if you do pay cash make sure you get receipts.

I agree with the others. What exactly are the grounds for a reduction? The house was as is when you agreed to move in at that rent. If stuff needs fixing ask the landlord or how will he know.

The only time you could really request a reduction is at the end of your tenancy before you renew. You have a bit more of a leg to stand on as it could work out cheaper and easier for the landlord to give you cheaper rent compared to paying to put the house back up and risk crap tenants. Have a look on right move and see what properties are currently going for in your area. Generally speaking rent is going up so it might not be worth it.
I wouldn't recommend paying in cash, it won't make a difference as standing orders are sent on a faster payment system meaning it's immediately available. The landlord would expect you to make the journey to pay and you would have no real record that you have paid whereas a standing order shows a record of paying so cannot be argued against.
Talk to the landlord and explain the issues, if it's no good and you know you can get better elsewhere at the end of your tenancy, leave.

Completely unreasonable.
How have you been paying rent up until now? Paying by a standard order is so much easier and gives you a record, I would not recommend paying by cash.

It doesn't sound reasonable no but It depends on the circumstances and your tenancy agreement. A few years ago we rented a house from a private landlord who advertised the property at two different prices, a higher price for people in receipt of housing benefit, presumably he thought these people more of s risk, or the LHA for the size property was higher than he was charging maybe. Our tenancy agreement stated the rental price and a clause about the increased price of we claimed housing benefit. If you signed a similar agreement then you could try for a reduction but otherwise no it's not reasonable to ask.
However if you feel the damp is bad enough it poses a health risk and landlord isn't doing anything ask the council for advise they can get environmental health to check it out and give landlord a deadline for completing work I think.

Also in assuming that when you say paying cash for your rent that you mean paying out of your salary and not HB? If you mean paying actual cash though pls make sure you get and keep receipts every time you pay.

It doesn't sound reasonable no but It depends on the circumstances and your tenancy agreement. A few years ago we rented a house from a private landlord who advertised the property at two different prices, a higher price for people in receipt of housing benefit, presumably he thought these people more of s risk, or the LHA for the size property was higher than he was charging maybe. Our tenancy agreement stated the rental price and a clause about the increased price of we claimed housing benefit. If you signed a similar agreement then you could try for a reduction but otherwise no it's not reasonable to ask.
However if you feel the damp is bad enough it poses a health risk and landlord isn't doing anything ask the council for advise they can get environmental health to check it out and give landlord a deadline for completing work I think.

Also in assuming that when you say paying cash for your rent that you mean paying out of your salary and not HB? If you mean paying actual cash though pls make sure you get and keep receipts every time you pay.

Oh wow I never even thought that waswhat could be meant by paying cash. Really awful if it is. I thought we were talking about a new tenancybut reading it again after you suggested this, well it could be that the OP was perfectly happy with the rent cost until she had to pay it herself :nope:

Please come back and clarify what you meant by paying cash OP

No. Completely unreasonable imo. I actually think £550 for 3 bed house is reasonable, I was paying £595 for that in Perth. More to the point, I agree that if you mean cash as in not HB then it's pretty shocking that you see the price as fine until YOU pay it.

The landlord is obliged to fix issues. Email so it's in writing

I'm privately renting and get HB. I was forced to move quickly and the council couldn't help for various reasons.So I had to take the first available place and claim GB. I know that I may have to move somewhere cheaper when I can no longer claim HB.But I dont think it would be right to ask the landlord to reduce the rent.

I don't think it's right to reduce the rent. Why should the landlord be out of pocket because the money is coming from another source?

You have to put yourself in your landlords shoes. He doesn't care that you are no longer eligible for HB. He just wants his rent no matter where that comes from.

You should however list repairs that need done.

thanks for the arsy comments again, no surprise there it is me your talking to.. anyway..
yes i did rec. HB before and why do i think about asking for a reduction? the landlord put the rent as £550 not because he thinks thats fair, but because he knows thats what the HB will pay, i work for an estate agents and have done for 4 years, my landlord has said on many occasions..
'if its HB tenant ask for (example) £600 if its cash £500-£550 will be okay' not because he doesnt trust DSS tenants, he couldnt care whether it is a cash or HB tenant, but as i say because he knows the HB will pay that much!!

am i still been unreasonable asking for a reduction in rent because im now paying cash when one of the reasons he charged so much is because he knew the HB would pay it.

its actually a 2 bed house like i said, but was made into 3 bedrooms one of whick isnt big enough to be a bedroom!

thanks for the arsy comments again, no surprise there it is me your talking to.. anyway..
yes i did rec. HB before and why do i think about asking for a reduction? the landlord put the rent as £550 not because he thinks thats fair, but because he knows thats what the HB will pay, i work for an estate agents and have done for 4 years, my landlord has said on many occasions..
'if its HB tenant ask for (example) £600 if its cash £500-£550 will be okay' not because he doesnt trust DSS tenants, he couldnt care whether it is a cash or HB tenant, but as i say because he knows the HB will pay that much!!

am i still been unreasonable asking for a reduction in rent because im now paying cash when one of the reasons he charged so much is because he knew the HB would pay it.

its actually a 2 bed house like i said, but was made into 3 bedrooms one of whick isnt big enough to be a bedroom!

That is so rude... :shrug:

If you know so much about it all as you now seem to do then go ahead and ask. Why bother asking opinions if you don't want to hear the replies :shrug:

List the repairs that need done and ask for him to complete, otherwise I'd be looking for another house, one that is worth the money.

im rude? any time i post any thread i get arsy comments left right and centre, if its about my OH we both get slagged off, when i start a discussion im the one in the wrong for it people bring a load of crap up totally un related, if i mention i rec some benefit as wel as working i get a arsy comment for that, i want to ask for a reduction on rent bcos ill be paying out of my own money.. arsy comment, im not sure if its because you are all majorly hormonal or for whatever reason none of you actually like me but whatever, im out!

im rude? any time i post any thread i get arsy comments left right and centre, if its about my OH we both get slagged off, when i start a discussion im the one in the wrong for it people bring a load of crap up totally un related, if i mention i rec some benefit as wel as working i get a arsy comment for that, i want to ask for a reduction on rent bcos ill be paying out of my own money.. arsy comment, im not sure if its because you are all majorly hormonal or for whatever reason none of you actually like me but whatever, im out!

Why does every thread have to end up like this?

wow. I doubt we are the ones ''majorly hormonal'' if all your threads are apparently targeted. :dohh:

Personally, I can't recall any of your threads in particular. I really do think you are over reacting. :nope:

I didn't know you were receiving housing benefit, not do I know anything about housing benefit and renting. I'm a homeowner now but used to rent privately for many years in a few different properties and paid through the nose for it as I live in a pricey area, not once would I have thought it reasonable that by paying cash I would be entitled to a reduction in rent. As such that is how I answered your question. People on here haven't been rude, they just didn't agree with you, get that chip off your shoulder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->