Renting to a self employed declared bankrupt? Help!

B

Belle25

We are currently looking for tenants for our home, as we moving.

Had a few look around now, but no ones taken it so far.

Just had a nice lady come around, she seemed lovely.

I let hubby show her around whilst I dealt with the kids, but when she left, hubby said she was very interested, but she had been declared bankrupt a few years back. She is also self employed. This woman has just been through a divorce too, so I want to give her and her son (who's 20) a chance.

She offered 6 months rent in advance I believe.

Anyone here a landlord/letting agent or bankrupt or anyone offer some insight? Don't know what to do!
X

I dont know much about this but if it was me I would accept 6 months upfront and would want a refundable deposit

good luck getting a tenant :)

Thanks. Have quite a few to view it this week, so will see. Would be one less headache!
X

I would accept them, people make mistakes financially and learn from them and if she is offering so much up front I wouldn't see the problem? Getting someone to rent to you when self employed is hard enough let alone if you have been declared bankrupt in the past xx

U could always ask for a guarantuer (sp) it's quite common in renting and protects your investment whilst giving the tenant a chance. If she's going to succeed then she will never need it but if circumstances change there's always the back up x

At least she was honest about it because my OH was declared bankrupt and he asked who he needed to inform and landlord was not on the list he was given which I was very surprised about. I know a few people who have gone bankrupt but never had rent arrears because they needed a roof over their heads.
I'd say as long as she is now in a position to afford the rent then go for it like you said it is giving them a chance and she has offered 6months up front so must be keen.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance and if she has 6 months upfront rent to give you, just start her on a 6 month tenancy and see how you both go

Yeah I would start her on a 6 month tenancy. She deserves a chance :) xx

If your in the uk, have a look on money saving expert house buying renting selling. So many helpful people on there that know their stuff!
I personally wouldnt as ive heard so many horror stories & takes ages & costs loads in unpaid rent & court fees to evict

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->