Retroverted Uterus?

Wish85

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Hi girls,

When I went for my 6 week scan at the start of the week the tech said in passing I have a retroverted uterus. I said, what does that mean and she casually said it's tilting the wrong way and she left it at that.

I would rather ask you ladies than google because I always have bad experiences when I Dr Google :haha:

Now, I know I didn't have this with my first pregnancy - well they never told me I did. Is this something that can happen after pregnancy or have I always had it? Will it cause any problems? Is it dangerous? Can I have another natural birth? Any info would be great thanks ladies!

I have it too, I only knew with my first pregnancy as I read it in my notes, the sonographer never mentioned it so I assumed it was no big deal. I wasn't surprised though as I've heard it can run in families and my mum and sister both have it. It's never caused them any problems. I'm now 5+2 with my second and ok so far. I don't think it's anything to worry about, I once heard it's just like some people being right or left handed. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's something you either have or don't, I don't think you can just get it with a second pregnancy if you didn't have it before.

Yep i have it, and I'm pretty sure you are born with it lol i was never told with my 1st but was told with my 2nd. Makes scans in the early weeks harder to see baby as its tilted back. But as the pregnancy progresses it goes to normal state then will flip back down after baby is born. Doesn't cause any problems :)

I have it, I'd be very surprised if I had it last time as my scans were easily done last time & no one said anything either. This time scans have been very difficult and they've had to press on extra hard to see baby. Very uncomfortable!

I've always had it and never had a problem with scans, and I had an early scan with DD at 9 weeks, and with my last mc between 5 and 6 weeks and they could see baby fine both times.

I've always had it and never had a problem with scans, and I had an early scan with DD at 9 weeks, and with my last mc between 5 and 6 weeks and they could see baby fine both times.

I was told I have it too during my first scan. The person doing the sonogram didn't make a big deal about it though, and she said it should correct itself by week 10 or something.

I've heard it can straighten out, but my mums never did with my brother & she gave birth with it. They knew it was tilted back as she was having scans until the very end with him. With my son we had a 9 weeks scan & it was very clear, could make out a head etc, this time baby was just a round little blob, same gestation, told me my uterus was tilted quite far back. Sonographer at my 12 week scan really had a hard time seeing what she needed and in the end kind of scanned from my belly button downwards, after pressing on hard because it's so tilted. Mine could be effected from my section, I don't know, I've heard they move things around to get baby out, but mine did seem to cause problems on both scans. (Both abdominal)

I have it. The only problem it's caused is I haven't yet been able to do an abdominal scan, I've had to do all vaginal scans... it's really frustrating. My first tri screening is in 2 weeks (at 12 weeks) I'm praying it will work by then

Oh yeah super common don't even worry. I have it too and had 4 pregnancies (1 mmc) and 2 daughters and pregnant now again. It causes no issues and even temporarily straightens out while pregnant with pressure of fetus. No worries at all xx

I have it too xx it happened after my first born x it's not a problem and it's nothing to worry about. I have found u can get more lower back pain and cramps during first few weeks into pregnancy due to the uterus lifting back up into place xx
I have had a natural birth since xx

Aw thanks girls, as usual! I love having this forum to come and ask questions!
So apparently it can happen AFTER a pregnancy so I'm more inclined to think I didn't have one before my DS.
I had a scan on Monday and they put me at 6+2 but got to see everything including heartbeat so no problems with seeing things via abdominal scan, maybe mine isn't too far tilted back? She did have to press extremely hard though which I don't remember them having to do last time.

Digging this thread back up as I've been told I have one.. but cant remembee if I've been told that in every pregnancy! Do assisted births cause it to tilt?

My mother and grandmother both have it, so I won't be surprised if I hear it about myself at my u/s on the 29th. My grandmother had trouble conceiving (12 years between my oldest aunt and my mother, and then my younger aunt was adopted), and my mother didn't manage to carry anyone to term (I was 8 weeks premature, my sister 4), but no one has ever firmly connected those things to the position of their uteruses. Everybody was born healthy, for what it's worth.

It's pretty common, so no it's not likely to change, but because it's so common you just probably weren't even told before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->