Returning to life

Needabun

Reaction score
Hi!! :hi: So I'm a new mom, my son is just 4 weeks as of yesterday. Breastfeeding from the nipple is going good, pumping WAS going good, but now I find myself only getting 1 bottle after pumping for 30 minutes sometimes longer. This worries me as I am exclusively breastfeeding and would like to keep it that way for a while, but I am also going back to finish school beginning of October and may be starting work as well. Breastfeeding was NOT easy for me in the beginning, my nipples were bloody and looked like the layered pillsbury biscuits and I didn't think I was going to be able to push through it. Thank God it's over and I did. It was an EXTREMELY stressful time for me, and it still has its moments today, but im proud of my progress.

Any advice on what I can do to assure my baby will have enough bottles throughout the day?

Congrats on your new baby and great work Mama getting through those tough first weeks! I work full time and managed to EBF for quite a long time. I started pumping every morning when my son was around 4 weeks old. I don't remember the details now but I know sometimes I only got an ounce sometimes a few ounces. I froze everything. By the time I went back to work when my son was 12 weeks old, I had quite a freezer stash. I pumped 2-3 times a day while I was gone at work and usually made just enough to leave for the following days bottles. I would use the freezer supply here and there to get through if I didn't pump enough but we managed to go for quite a long time and I never needed to supplement. It's definitely a lot of work, but it was important to me so I didn't mind. I'd say just start pumping and saving now and see how it goes when you go back to work and school. You may find it easier than you are anticipating. I think when it comes to breastfeeding setting small goals for yourself feels less overwhelming than trying to anticipate how you might feel months and months from now. Good luck!

I know some mums have better success with hand pumps or hand expression. Worth a try maybe to just experiment with what works for you. This link is reassuring about what is normal to pump and has some good info on what to try.
https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/pumping_decrease/

I know some mums have better success with hand pumps or hand expression. Worth a try maybe to just experiment with what works for you. This link is reassuring about what is normal to pump and has some good info on what to try.
https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/pumping_decrease/

Thanks a bunch noon_child :flower. I'll definitely check it out.

Congrats on your new baby and great work Mama getting through those tough first weeks! I work full time and managed to EBF for quite a long time. I started pumping every morning when my son was around 4 weeks old. I don't remember the details now but I know sometimes I only got an ounce sometimes a few ounces. I froze everything. By the time I went back to work when my son was 12 weeks old, I had quite a freezer stash. I pumped 2-3 times a day while I was gone at work and usually made just enough to leave for the following days bottles. I would use the freezer supply here and there to get through if I didn't pump enough but we managed to go for quite a long time and I never needed to supplement. It's definitely a lot of work, but it was important to me so I didn't mind. I'd say just start pumping and saving now and see how it goes when you go back to work and school. You may find it easier than you are anticipating. I think when it comes to breastfeeding setting small goals for yourself feels less overwhelming than trying to anticipate how you might feel months and months from now. Good luck!

Thank you gingmg!! :flower: and thanks so much for the encouraging words. Small goals sounds like a good idea to keep from getting so discouraged about it.

At first you will pump very little, its no shock. You just have to keep up with it and start your "stash". At first I was getting 1/2 oz each at a time but by the time i was back to work I was getting 2-4 oz. each time. I also took a lactation supplement. I'm not sure if it worked but my brain thought it did so I kept up with it. And I started a shake I found online that was said to help supply every morning. If I forgot the shake or the supplement, I didn't notice a difference. Im sure it will all work out for you. You are doing great!

At first you will pump very little, its no shock. You just have to keep up with it and start your "stash". At first I was getting 1/2 oz each at a time but by the time i was back to work I was getting 2-4 oz. each time. I also took a lactation supplement. I'm not sure if it worked but my brain thought it did so I kept up with it. And I started a shake I found online that was said to help supply every morning. If I forgot the shake or the supplement, I didn't notice a difference. Im sure it will all work out for you. You are doing great!

Thanks a lot Megandelv88. I've had a boost of confidence today and I'm beginning to start storing away milk when i can. I know I can do it :thumbup:. Thanks again :flower:

I think anything you can stash away while on maternity leave is a huge accomplishment. I was really worried about not having enough to continue ebf once I went back to work as well but it turns out that I have more than enough! I didn't factor in that while I was at work my baby wouldn't be nursing and as a result I am able to pump a larger volume at work than I am able to pump in between nursing sessions at home.

I think anything you can stash away while on maternity leave is a huge accomplishment. I was really worried about not having enough to continue ebf once I went back to work as well but it turns out that I have more than enough! I didn't factor in that while I was at work my baby wouldn't be nursing and as a result I am able to pump a larger volume at work than I am able to pump in between nursing sessions at home.

That is so true!!! I hadn't tjought about that either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->