reusing bottle

Lozzy_Loo

Reaction score
Recently my LO has gone through a growth spurt and she's needed a top up of formula after her feeds.

Ive been using a new sterilized bottle for this top up but i just wondered if you could use the same bottle to make another few oz up??

Hi hun

You should use a fresh sterile bottle for each feed. The milk that gets left in the bottle (even if its just a few drops) will start to produce bacteria quite quickly and so if you make up more milk in that same bottle that bacteria will still be present.
Its a pain I know, especially if they are only having and ounce or 2 at a time but its better not to risk it really.
You can pre-make formula so why not make 3 or 4 top up bottles at a time, cool them and store in the back of your fridge until you need them, it saves a lot of stress!
There is a link to the World Health Organisation's guidlines for pre-making formula in my signature if you want to have a read....

HTH

J x

a bottle can last up to 2 hours with the same milk in the bottle if your lo has drunk the milk in the bottle before the 2 hours is up then boil the kettle, swill the bottle round and make the feed in the same bottle i was doing this also and thought why??? when the smae bottle lasts 2 hours anyway, if is over the 2 hours i make a new bottle

Hi hun

You should use a fresh sterile bottle for each feed. The milk that gets left in the bottle (even if its just a few drops) will start to produce bacteria quite quickly and so if you make up more milk in that same bottle that bacteria will still be present.
Its a pain I know, especially if they are only having and ounce or 2 at a time but its better not to risk it really.
You can pre-make formula so why not make 3 or 4 top up bottles at a time, cool them and store in the back of your fridge until you need them, it saves a lot of stress!
There is a link to the World Health Organisation's guidlines for pre-making formula in my signature if you want to have a read....

HTH

J x

you can use the same bottle if its within 2 hours of feeding after 2 hours a fresh bottle is used :) x

I use the same bottle for top ups but only if its there & then, or within 1 hour of the original feed, it doesn't very happen very often.

The times when i've topped up straight away after the original feed, its only been a matter of 20mins since the feed was made & bottle sterilised anyway, so no harm in adding a bit more formula.

:flower:

Hi hun

HTH

J x

Oh my God. I am so guilty of this. I have been doing this with my kids for 12 years! Even if the bottles was just used? My grandma gave me MAM anti colic bottles with customized bottle labels that she bought from the US (and now I order them at coolpacifiers) and said that it is ok to re-use bottles as long as it is just a top up. Within the same hour, that is...

but it has always been my rule, 6 months below, no re-using. 6 months up, within the same hour

To clarify, for an immediate top up then I would, I just wouldn't if its been a while.
When my lo was tiny and having an oz here and 2oz there, I would just pre make lots of little bottles, that way I would always be able to get a fresh bottle quickly. I found this easier that trying to make an extra oz or 2 up whilst trying to pacify a crying baby!

J x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->