Rice or Milk Allergy?

Jary

Mummy to Alice 10/05/13
Reaction score
Looking for advice and/or similar experiences.

I gave my 5 month old baby rice mixed with breastmilk on the 19th October. She really enjoyed it this time (she'd had it twice before no issues) and I was worried that i'd given her too much. Anyway, about 3/4 hours later she projectile vomited everywhere. probably about 200mls (or looked like that amount) she had a sleep and then after that she was fine. I put it down to her tummy being too full.

Then, a week later I tried her with banana peach rice that just needed mixing with water as it contained follow on milk. she only had maybe half of the weaning spoon as she didn't seem to like it. Like the previous week, around 2/3 hours later she started to vomit. This time it wasn't projectile but more like saliva mixed with bile. She became very pale and very sleepy...I could rouse her easily but she soon drifted off to sleep again and even when she woke she wasn't smiling and just lay there. She refused to feed so I was worried she would become dehydrated.

We took her to out of hours and the doctor rang paeds and they said it was just gastroenteritis. they prescribed dioralyte but while we were waiting for her prescription I tried feeding her and she did, her colour came back and she was back to her usual self. No more vomiting.

I spoke with the health visitor about this and she seemed to think that the first vomiting episode was a fluke but the second one sounded like a milk allergy since that rice had formula in it. She wants me to see a doctor to get Alice diagnosed.

Personally I think its the rice and I wont be giving it to her anymore. Im waiting until she's 26 weeks before I try her with solids again and it'll be pureed veg and fruit.

Maybe its simply that her gut isn't ready for solids (ive started early I know) but the fact that she's had such a violent reaction both times has me worried. I try not to read much on the internet but its hard not to!

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the outcome was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->