Roller Coaster Pregnancy.. what's your opinion?

WP0609

Reaction score
Hello All! My husband and I are currently expecting our first baby. The pregnancy so far has been a bit of a roller coaster and now I don't know what to think. I have PCOS and used clomid to get pregnant. We did two rounds of 50mg and I did not ovulate. On my first round of 100mg, I ovulated and became pregnant. My LMP was on Oct. 20 and based on OPKs and BBT I'm pretty certain I ovulated and conceived on/around Nov. 4. At 5 weeks, I had A LOT of cramping/pain and was worried so my doctor had me come in for an early scan to rule out ectopic. They saw the gestational sac and were pretty sure that it was in my uterus. I went back a week later (right around 6 weeks) for another scan. At this point, they saw the gestational sac, yolk sac, and fetal pole but no heartbeat. Doctor ruled the no heartbeat up it just being too early. She said what she was concerned about was the position where the baby implanted. She the baby was high in my uterus and that there was a possibility that it may be a cornual ectopic pregnancy (where baby is in uterus but too close to fallopian tube). They did bloodwork that Tuesday and again on Thursday. My levels almost doubled from 11,000 to 20,000. Doctor then said that if it was ectopic in any way that my levels wouldn't have doubled so she was no longer worried about that but wanted me to come for a follow up appt 3 days later. At the follow up appt, we saw a good heartbeat and I measured right on schedule with my predicted ovulation date at 6w3d. Last Friday, I was having a lot of lower back pain so my doctor had me go in to the hospital (opposed to her office) for a scan to check for kidney stones and just to double check on the baby. The on-call doctor called me Friday night with the results. She said that I did not have a kidney stone and that baby looked fine and had a strong heartbeat. But she also mentioned that I was measuring 6 1/2 weeks, which would mean that the baby hadn't grown at all in a week. I pointed this to the doctor and all she said was "hm, really? well, I would be more worried about that if the baby didn't have a strong heartbeat but since it does then everything is probably ok".

I've been worried sick ever since! I feel like every time I start to get excited about this pregnancy something else pops up! What do you girls think? Is it possible that they measured me wrong at the hospital? Or should I be concerned? I have a follow up scheduled with my regular doctor that can't get here soon enough!

Babies have growth spurts.... when I first went in for my appt, I was certain I was 7w1d and I measured 6w3d, so I figured maybe I just implanted late. I had an ER visit for Hyperemesis so I had to do a follow up with my doctor a few days later. At the time, I should have been 7w5d based off the first scan, but when he measured me again, baby was at 8w4 days! Almost a whole week ahead! So my dates were right, just baby was due for a growth spurt that hadn't happened yet during my first visit. At my last appointment, at 11w6d, baby was right on track! It's really hard to measure a baby when it is SO tiny.

I had a scan to rule out an ectopic with this pregnancy while out of town and their measurements were completely off compared to my normal RE's office. My dates wre right around the same time as you and everything turned out fine.

When I got back home and told the technician in my office what happened while I was out of town she just smiled and said "most techs would use the wand like this and that shows the baby is behind". She then turned it just so slightly and said "this is the correct angle and see how much bigger everything looks?" I guess her point and later my RE concurred is that different technicians and different equipment often produce different results. Try not to worry and if you want to break down like crazy me and buy a fetal doppler it seems to give a lot of ladies much comfort :winkwink:

Different technicians, different equipment, and different scans can all lead to different measurements. Did they do an abdominal scan at the hospital? In the first weeks of a pregnancy, transvaginal scans are the most accurate because they get a much better (and closer) view of the baby. Sounds like things are going well otherwise so I'd try to relax (easier said than done, I know) and just breathe. I know it's hard to wait but it's all you can do right now. Pamper yourself, put your feet up, and push fluids. My dr said the most common cause of back ache in pg is a UTI and/or slight dehydration. His nurse told me to drink, drink, drink water (at least 2 liters per day) to prevent UTIs, cramps, and help with the spotting I've been having for the last 5 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->