Room sharing?

gezimmom

Reaction score
We're currently wtt. Due to issues with the combination pill, I'm on the mini pill. We currently have a 7yo and a 1yo. The only issue is we have a 3 bedroom house (we just bought) so the youngest would have to room share if we have another. The rooms are fairly small. Does anyone have advice on room sharing? (best age difference, suggestions, etc)

My two boys share at the moment and love it! One finds it hard to sleep if for some reason the other isn't there. They have beds next to each other at the moment but are considering bunk beds. We're going to move house and hopefully they will have the option of their own room but I think they will choose to carry on sharing

Growing up i shared a room with my sister who is 2 years older than me and my sister who is 8 years younger. We had the biggest room of the house, my brother had the box room and my parents had the other double. We loved sharing a room. My brother moved out at 18 so my little sister got that room and I continued to share with my big sister unail I moved out but we swapped to have the smaller double. We had bunk beds in the big room thenumber 2 singles in the other room. The key to it working was good storage. We each had drawers but also half the cupboard and the other cupboard in the hall. it's doable! x

Thanks for responding! Twins run in my family so I always wonder what we would do in that situation. You didn't mind being 8 with a much younger sibling in your room?

Not at all. In fact, we adored having her there. We had bunks one side and she had her cot then toddler bed the other side. It worked fine and now mum and dad are glad they didn't get a bigger house as they now have a 3 bed for 2 of them. If it didn't have all our memories there they would sell for a smaller one. My mum is 1 of 12 so 14 of them shared a 3 bed house. We are a close family so didn't bother us at all xxx

Thanks for sharing! Dh had a huge house and never room shared, so he's the one that is hesitant.

I hope this doesn't sound rude but I think we are in a time where lots of people think what they *need* is actually just what they *want* All we need is a warm bed, food, water and someone to love us. Having their own room isnt necessary and for me shouldn't be a reason not to extend your family. I really don't mean that in a cheeky or judgemental way at all xxx

My 2 year old girl and 3 year old boy share and love it! We have a 3 bedroom but they seemed lonely in there own rooms.
They have a chat before bed every now and then but normally they just go to sleep. If one is scared somtimes we put there mattresses together on the floor and they have a a 'sleepover'
We now have a 6 week old baby so think eventually the 2 girls will share and son will have his own room.
Much further down the line (teens) i plan to put a dividing wall up in the largest bedroom so we will have a 4 bed (room each) but only if they express that they really really want that as the rooms will be teeny and id prefer to not have to do that.

Hello! We're currently WTT for #3 as well and 2 of ours will have to room share as well, at least until we can buy our first home but even then there may still be room sharing as we might not be able to get a 4 bedroom house. I did grow up in a large family though so as someone that has had to room share I can offer advice. First who ends up room sharing is going to depend on which gender is the odd one out of your 3 children unless you have all 3 of the same gender. Assuming that the younger 2 are the same gender they should share a room. If not then whichever 2 are the same gender should room share whether it's #1 and #2 or #1 and #3. I suggest putting baby in your room to start whether it's with a crib, Pack 'n Play, co-sleeper, or bed sharing with you (whichever option feels right to you). Once baby is a little older and sleeping through the night or at least sleeping better (probably between 2-4 years old) that's when 2 siblings should room share and baby should move out of your room. Ideally it's best to keep #2 and #3 together since #1 is 7 years old which is a considerable age gap between #1 and #2 as it is, let alone #1 and #3 but room sharing with opposite genders can only last for so long before problems with privacy arise. I was the oldest of my mother's children and I room shared with my younger brother (2 year gap) for a few years before room sharing with my younger sister (6 year gap) when she was older and my brother and I were too old to share a room comfortably anymore.

I hope this doesn't sound rude but I think we are in a time where lots of people think what they *need* is actually just what they *want* All we need is a warm bed, food, water and someone to love us. Having their own room isnt necessary and for me shouldn't be a reason not to extend your family. I really don't mean that in a cheeky or judgemental way at all xxx

I totally get what you are saying! I agree it shouldn't be the main reason, it's my better half that is concerned with it! He and I had such different upbringings.

My 2 year old girl and 3 year old boy share and love it! We have a 3 bedroom but they seemed lonely in there own rooms.
They have a chat before bed every now and then but normally they just go to sleep. If one is scared somtimes we put there mattresses together on the floor and they have a a 'sleepover'
We now have a 6 week old baby so think eventually the 2 girls will share and son will have his own room.
Much further down the line (teens) i plan to put a dividing wall up in the largest bedroom so we will have a 4 bed (room each) but only if they express that they really really want that as the rooms will be teeny and id prefer to not have to do that.

Thank you for your perspective! My main concern was the oldest having to room share because she's so accustomed to privacy. I've been on pinterest looking at room sharing ideas and am totally falling in love with the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->