Ross Kemp Extreme World Belfast

Mrs R

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I watched Ross Kemp in Belfast last night, and thought it was brilliant (I love him anyway). Although I live in N.Ireland, I don't live anywhere near Belfast. It's quite a long time since I have experienced any sort of trouble, although I do have very vivid memories of incidents when I was a child (although nothing like was shown last night).

Anyway, I was just wondering how the rest of the UK (or the world for the international ladies) view Northern Ireland today?

Do you imagine we all spend our days rioting and getting arrested, or do people realise this sort of behaviour/ violence is confined to a few areas of N.Ireland, where groups of people just do not want to move forward?

It would just be interesting to know how we are viewed from the outside.

NB Not trying to start a debate on anything, just being nosey!

I don't know much about the troubles there. Just remember seeing everything on the news when I was a child and never being allowed into London with school trips because my mum was scared of the IRA bombings.

Even though you still see bit and peaces on the news I understand that you've come really far regarding peace talks and that things are so different there to what it was 15 years ago.

I'd like to know more about what it was like growing up through all the troubles though? X

I think it was on Sky 1. Ross Kemp really is fab!

Aww I don't think I have that on my package with catch up

My mum is Irish and grew up in quite central Belfast just off the shakill road. Up until a few weeks ago my nan still lived there.
It just seems a bit insane to me that there are still issues like this in a modern first world country! My nan went to a march a few yrs ago and got a golf ball thrown at her head!
My mum could tell hundreds of stories about the troubles, she got sick of it and moved to England at 21, my uncle was only 15!
My grandparents were Protestants, my mum got a scholarship to a posh grammar school and the uniform was bottle green. Apparently she was always being threatened because that colour is common in catholic schools.
I also remember that when we would get the ferry over, my mum would be scared to drive our car through the catholic areas because of our English number plate. This was only about 15 yrs ago.
Now I have absolutely no idea what was overreaction on her part and what was a genuine problem, she's not a drama queen particularly.
I must admit I never really enjoyed going over there (apart from to see my nan and grandad), it felt very old fashioned and I didn't like all the murals painted on the walls, it was like a constant reminder of the war and intimidated me tbh.
I haven't watched the Ross kemp programme, I'm going to now!

Apart from the couple of things you hear about Belfast, I thought it was all over with years and years ago lol! Xx

Me and DH watched this last night and thought it was fascinating. How some of the stuff still going on doesn't make the news still over here is surprising.

Mostly I feel sad for all of the people caught up in the violence. I wonder how it can end?

Me and my DH watched this and was completely shocked that stuff like that still happens .. I think because I was born in '93 I'm really uneducated to the point of thick to what happened there with the IRA and didn't expect it still to be like that!

Id love to visit Ireland and I love Ross Kemp! :)

I think there will always be trouble brewing. Pockets of extremist groups will never go away unfortunatly. I've been to NI, stayed with friends in Lurgan, hearing stories of whilst looking out thier window that 15 yers previous there were often tanks going through the town was quite scary. The police headquarters were behind ridiculous amounts of security, walls, barbed wire.. Strange sight to see !
And the hatred that goes on within the Celtic /rangers games is pretty horrific. We have a friend within Celtic fc that's been spat at, attacked, death threats and letter bombs sent to him personally. Think that shows that the troubles are never going to go.
A guy over there told me he hated the English whilst in conversation with him.. "They're all a bunch of c**ts" ..... "But your ok "...! Errrr thanks!

I think it's sad.... it's the 21st century for goodness sake !

Apart from the couple of things you hear about Belfast, I thought it was all over with years and years ago lol! Xx

Same here. Honestly I knew there was still shit kicked up at times like 12th July and stuff but as another PP said, I know so little about the IRA and violence there because I was probably born just a bit too late to hear of it. I just thought it was in the past.

I'm from Belfast :)

It can be bad over here at times. Both sides, Catholic and protestant riot. Not all the time and its usually in the same areas.

So is it all about religion? Sorry, I genuinely have no idea! xx

They say it isnt but it usually turns out that way anyway. I was cringing watching it, what a pile if animals.

It started off being about religion about 400 years ago. Now it's just bigoted people, who have probably never even set foot in a chapel or church, protesting about their culture.

It's more loyalists and Republicans these days. I think anyway. Republicans want a united ireland, loyalists want to remain part of the Uk. Most Republicans are Catholic and loyalists are protestant.

The show seemed to pick the thickest people they could find to interview. I was raised going to the bonfires and bands and know the history behind it. We aren't all clueless! And you wouldn't need subtitles to understand most of us either :)

It's more loyalists and Republicans these days. I think anyway. Republicans want a united ireland, loyalists want to remain part of the Uk. Most Republicans are Catholic and loyalists are protestant.

The show seemed to pick the thickest people they could find to interview. I was raised going to the bonfires and bands and know the history behind it. We aren't all clueless! And you wouldn't need subtitles to understand most of us either :)

I beg to differ after a all day session of beer and buckfast ... I definitely could do with subtitles!!:haha:

I've not seen this but want to.

My Granddad was in the army and walked out the back door just as a house bomb went off, he lost a lot of the men he referred to as brothers that day and part of his hearing too.

How do I see it now? I know it kicks off much more than it should, it seems to me that things are always bubbling away and it only takes one thing for it to boil over like with the flag I think it was, outside the town hall or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->