Rusk?

june09

Mummy to Mia
Reaction score
Hmm Mia is only 8 weeks old, but all these older people I talk to keep asking if I give her rusks yet. They say on the box 4 months, so surely I shouldnt be giving her it at 2 months? My mum keeps saying she give it to me and my brothers by atleast 9 weeks and then loads of other older ladies who have had their children keep saying give her it. Now I don't think she should be having it yet?? Am i wrong in thinking its too soon? They all keep saying give her a little bit before bed to make her feel that little bit extra full. I dont see why though really anyway as she sleeps through the night untill 5:30am at the earliest so she cant exactly be going to bed hungry. It's just bugging me now that they all keep telling me to give her some and making me feel like I am wrong for not giving her it :dohh:

no, you are right, if she doesn't want it why on earth would you give it? it's not the best of foods anyway, I've never given Finn any. People used to wean a lot earlier so there is some pressure to wean early, but it's probably best to go as close to 6 months as possible, we started baby rice at 17 week mind, so that doesnt always work outx

Inetrfering old b@$£@rds my hubby just said as I read this out to him....I have to agree with him:wacko:

Things were done different years ago but we know more about these things now and the health conditions that early weaning can possibly cause like bowel probs, kidney damage, intolerances, early onset type 2 diabetes:dohh:. If you don't feel strong enough to say no and she won't be having any for a couple of months yet....just humour them and say "yeah she loves em":dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh:

Most rusks have more sugar in them than chocolate digestive biscuits. Your right for not giving them.

I definitely wouldn't give rusks at 8 weeks. Don't listen to them, my nan was always going on that her kids were weaned on to Readybrek by 6 weeks and that I should do the same! (She also said I was spoiling my LO by holding him all the time!) I totally ignored her, it's not recommended that you wean them until 6 months now (tho I started Joseph at 4 months) and as others have said, rusks aren't the best thing to start with anyway! x

Rusks are packed with sugar. You're right not giving it to her. My parents were saying things like that because Grace is so greedy. But I wouldn't give her them. I think it's because when they were bringing up their children it was just commonplace to give your 2/3 month old half a rusk mixed with milk or whatever

You are right, and you shouldn't give them to her until she is weaning.
I give Seren half a rusk a couple of times a week, and started when she was 6/7months old.
Don't let them pressure you, my family were exactly the same, I just told them that when they did it, it was 20odd years ago, and since then more research has been done, and the guidelines have been changed as a result.

Thanks everyone, I thought I was doing the right thing by not giving it just when they go on so much they had me doubting myself. I have said I am not giving her them but they just go on and on. Its not like she even seems hungry so I dont get why she would even need anything extra at the moment. But of course they all know best. I shall not be giving her them now that I have been assured I am doing the right thing, Thank you!

hun you'll get it alot, my mil wanted to give rhys stuff, and is threatening to get a sweetie drawer etc. you just got to be strong and say no. we are wiser now regarding nutrician and the sooner you instill eating fresh fruit and veg instead of the sugary stuff the healthier it is, the recomendations for any food is 6 months now just tell them that

xx

My mum was insisting on getting Erin some choccy buttons a few weeks ago, I said no and she reckoned it was unfair to Erin as the others had some choccy:dohh: WTF....how she brought 4 of us up and we're all still alive I do not know. When I saw her on Monday she wanted to give Erin some crisps (Pom bear ones):growlmad::nope:

My mum was insisting on getting Erin some choccy buttons a few weeks ago, I said no and she reckoned it was unfair to Erin as the others had some choccy:dohh: WTF....how she brought 4 of us up and we're all still alive I do not know. When I saw her on Monday she wanted to give Erin some crisps (Pom bear ones):growlmad::nope:

My Mum's like that. Always wanting to give Leo chocolate :dohh:

But to OP you're right in not giving them to her. People can be so pushy and intefering. My Mum was pressuring me to wean Leo when he was 3 months ... I didnt give in to her. She just kept saying "Well I weaned all of you from 6 weeks old..." Yes, things change mother!! Lol! x

People always try to interject their own opinions on you. :hugs: Trust your gut. Truth be told she might not even want them. I tried giving Claire one when she was 5.5 months old and she hated it.

She's only just started liking them now, and she's 8 months.

rusks are not really a good food especially for a 2 month old, ive only jst started offering them to archie and even then its the reduced sugar gluten free type and hes not fussed with them , hed much rather chomp on a peach or a banana

youre doing the right thing saying no

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->