SA...how long did everyone's DH/SO abstain before testing?

jwalk16

Reaction score
My wonderful DH has agreed to do a SA. He made his appointment today for August 8. How long did everyone's DH/SO abstain before testing? The paperwork says 2-5 days. I am thinking 2-3 days might be good.

We have decided to do a little testing to start with to see if things are okay for us. Hopefully we won't have to do a lot of testing.

Mine abstained for 5 days, but now that I know more about it, I want him to test again on day 2 or 3 because when we BD for ttc we DTD every other day or every day....

we were told 3 days so we bd'd sunday night and sa was done wed morn

We were told that he had to abstain for a minumum of 2 days but no more then 5 days.
The dr. said that the results would not be as accurate if it had been more then 5 days.
Hope this helps and good luck! :hugs:

We did two days. I think that should be sufficient. If you end up with low results, you might want to try abstaining longer on a retest, and that may indicate to you (if the results are better on the retest) that you may need to abstain a few days before what you think will be your peak day for BD (or until you get positive OPK)

Well, we abstained for 3-4 days (don't remember which exactly).

His result was great.

The problem with abstaining is you can't really do that while ttc.
You need to bd at least every other day.

We found out that daily bd put my DHs excellent count directly into the toilet.
You'd think that they would want to see results from when you are ttc, not abstaining, kwim?

I'd imagine our doc will want another in the next few weeks, and we'll be abstaining for the least amount of time possible, just because I'd personally like a result that is similar to a ttc experience.

I'm not going to abstain for 5 days in my fertile phase. So who cares what 5 days of abstainance on an SA looks like? I'd like to have one done after 2 days abstainance but I doubt they'd agree to that.

Good luck

Well, we abstained for 3-4 days (don't remember which exactly).

His result was great.

The problem with abstaining is you can't really do that while ttc.
You need to bd at least every other day.

We found out that daily bd put my DHs excellent count directly into the toilet.
You'd think that they would want to see results from when you are ttc, not abstaining, kwim?

I'd imagine our doc will want another in the next few weeks, and we'll be abstaining for the least amount of time possible, just because I'd personally like a result that is similar to a ttc experience.

I'm not going to abstain for 5 days in my fertile phase. So who cares what 5 days of abstainance on an SA looks like? I'd like to have one done after 2 days abstainance but I doubt they'd agree to that.

Good luck

Great points, I mean- they really should structure the tests based on real life, ya think? Well, it's good to see you ladies giving real thought about the testing purpose... Ok, that's my rant.

*SS*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->