Safe to fly when pregnant?

wonderstruck

Reaction score
I'm going to be around 20 weeks when we are planning to go to Cuba in February. Should my pregnancy be an issue at that point?

As long as you're comfortable and everything is going great with the pregnancy you should be good to fly. Have fun! :)

NO restrictions on flying unless your doctor says there is but I flew at 32 weeks with my first pregnancy. Happy travels!!

Nope, you should be golden! I traveled heavily right up until I gave birth to my son, and that included taking my truck up REALLY remote back country Arizona mining "roads" to go rockhounding with my husband which, I'm positive, is a lot rougher than flying to beautiful Cuba. Have fun and drink a beachside virgin Pina Colada for me! We're planning a Cuba trip as soon as possible as well!

I just flew at 34 weeks, it was no problem!

Just make sure your health insurance covers your baby in case something happens while you were away. There was a recently a news story of a Canadian woman who went to Hawaii at 24 weeks pregnant and her baby was born prematurely while she was there. The baby was obviously in hospital for a long time, and her insurance refused to cover the costs because the woman had a UTI early in her pregnancy so she had a "preexisting pregnancy condition". So this family is now in debt 1 million dollars to pay for the several months their baby was in hospital and have had to claim bankruptcy. So long story short, make sure you and your baby are covered while you are away!

Wouldn't worry, but agree that you should check in with your insurance. Baby might not fall under insurance if its early. I would record the conversation if over the phone (always cover yourself left right and centre with these companies) & ask questions that might relate to you.
It seems truly farfetched that a UTI is a pre-existing condition, esp after treatment. That's B*********!

Wouldn't worry, but agree that you should check in with your insurance. Baby might not fall under insurance if its early. I would record the conversation if over the phone (always cover yourself left right and centre with these companies) & ask questions that might relate to you.
It seems truly farfetched that a UTI is a pre-existing condition, esp after treatment. That's B*********!

Yup, all the doctors who treated her both at home and in Hawaii wrote to the insurance company to say that there was no way a UTI from several months earlier caused her to go into premature labour, but the insurance still refused to pay.

I would just check with the airline as some have more strict rules than others. At 20 weeks you should be absolutely fine though as it's still very early.

I refused to fly in my first pregnancy. It took us 2 years to conceive her so I played it safe. With this baby I actually found out a week before a 10 hour flight from London to Las Vegas and a huge climate change! So I just bit the bullet and flew!! The return flight was tough but fine.
Then I flew again at 18 weeks and had a lovely holiday.

Enjoy Cuba!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->