Salem?

mattison

Mother of 3 & expecting!
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

My DH and I are trying for our final baby. We have three boys, and are hoping for a girl this time. We do have another boy name picked if we end up blessed with one more little guy (Jude/Judah).

We have biblical-based names. We started with more traditional (Gabriel), and I have been slowly trying to get my husband used to more unusually linked names. We have Gideon and Roman (after book of Romans). As you can see, Gideon and Roman aren't really that 'out there'. But they are for my DH :)

So, the name in question is Salem -- for a girl.

I love this name, and like it's meaning (peace(ful), and connection with Jerusalem).

When I have asked others for their opinion, most think of the Salem witch trials (mostly family), but I do get some good feedback as well (non-family). My husband said the name is growing on him, but he is worried people might only think of witches.

We are OK with people not liking the name, no name will ever be everyone's cup of tea. I guess I'd like a better idea from a wider audience.

What do you guys think?

I love it.. but i am obsessed with witch trials, so if you dont want connection I wouldnt use x

Thank you!

I also find the witch trials fascinating, and don't mind the connection. Overall, we know why we chose it! :)

I think what throws my husband off is that the rest of our kids sound biblical, and he doesn't know if it would be 'weird' to have Salem, when probably the majority of people who hear it would connect it to the witch trials.

I am very glad you like it!

I wonde if you didnt tell people beforehand...and just annoucd it as a name they would see it more as her name x

When I first saw the title I thought "oh I actually kind of like it!"... except I had assumed it was a boy for some reason. I'm not sure I like it as much for a girl!

But I actually think it goes quite well with your other kids' names (boy or girl).

I don't really like it and initially thought of Salem the city. I really don't associate it with the bible. Maybe it could be a middle name?

It immediately makes me think of the place and the witch trials, and also the cat from Sabrina the teenage witch!

For me there are nicer biblical girls names (e.g. Delilah, Dinah, Lillian, Miriam) but it's not my choice, it's yours. If you love it, go for it.

Alternatively I think Selah and Shiloh have a similar feel to them and are really pretty.

Thank you!

I also find the witch trials fascinating, and don't mind the connection. Overall, we know why we chose it! :)

I think what throws my husband off is that the rest of our kids sound biblical, and he doesn't know if it would be 'weird' to have Salem, when probably the majority of people who hear it would connect it to the witch trials.

I am very glad you like it!
That was my thinking - your other names are very obviously biblical, whereas Salem isn't and I associate it with witchcraft which sort of contradicts the style of your other names.

My association is with witches sorry. It is your choice of course but I guess you have to think about when she hands in resumes in the future what people's first response is going to be. If I saw a resume with Salem on it I would for sure think the person comes from a wiccan family or something. Just my opinion x

If you and OH both like it, you should go for it!

I must admit though that my initial though was also that it's a boys name as a pp said. I like it as a boys name (the cat in Sabrina the teenage witch, which was my first association, was also male). As a girls name it's only so-so to me, but I do think it wouldn't be weird for a girl. It sounds very unisex if I picture a girl wearing it. I would, personally, prefer it for a boy though.

I also agree with some pp that it doesn't really stand out to me upfront as a biblical name, like your other kids names do.

But, as I said - if you and your OH like it, that's all that really matters.

(I really like the suggestion of Delilah that somebody mentioned. I know it has no 'weight' here as you're asking about Salem, but I just had to say it, because I really love Delilah, haha)

Thank you for all of your opinions!

We do like Shiloh, and our families also like Shiloh.

We are having a harder time with a biblical girl name that isn't overused or just not our 'style'. But we do think about how she could be perceived with a given name, and so it is something we need to make sure we consider if we do end up using Salem.

We do think Lily is pretty -- Lillian could be one to think on more. Delilah could grow on us!

Thank you all so much :)

I thought Salem would be for a boy and thought "eh" but when you said girl I thought it was beautiful! Don't know any biblical girls names except Mary so sorry I don't have any decent input lol

It immediately makes me think of the place and the witch trials, and also the cat from Sabrina the teenage witch!

For me there are nicer biblical girls names (e.g. Delilah, Dinah, Lillian, Miriam) but it's not my choice, it's yours. If you love it, go for it.

Alternatively I think Selah and Shiloh have a similar feel to them and are really pretty.

I thought of the same things too, because of Salem the cat I think of it as more of a boys name but it could easily work for a girl. It depends on how much you like it, if you love it then you can overlook the associations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->