Scan at 6 weeks, baby only measuring 5 weeks - any hope?

minimoocow

Reaction score
As the title says really. Been TTC for 3.5 years now. Had 2 early miscarriages - didn't get to 5 weeks. This time been on progesterone support, went for an early scan last night and they say it looks ok for a 5 weeker so now have to wait 12 days to get a rescan.

I'm 100% sure of my dates as been having fertility treatment plus haven't had sex since OV so can't be 5 weeks. My uterus is retroverted so they had to do TV scan. I'm hoping its just difficulty in getting measurements but although they saw a sac, 2.8mm Fetal Pole and a yok scan there was no detectable heart beat.

Not sure how I am going to get through the next week and a bit! Please share your stories good or bad.

Thanks

Hey Hun, this happened to me. And she is now 7 months old. I also have a retroveted uterus. They told me sac look free flowing not properly in the uterus wall. And that there wasn't much to be seen. I was told would be more like a psuedo sac. And 2 days later baby had heartbeat and all was fine. Don't give up yet. This pregnancies hearty wasn't there til I went back. All the best Hun xx

Similar experience, i was supposed to be 6 weeks when i went for my first scan, baby measured four weeks. two weeks later went back in and she measured 7 weeks with a good heart beat, shes now heading into her terrible twos!:baby::haha: early scans aren't the best to have to be honest, but there you go. Not always doom and gloom:thumbup: hoping for the best for you!

This happened to me 2 weeks ago and 8 days later baby measured 7 weeks. Good luck x

Thanks ladies you've made me feel a bit better about it. Been reading a few things and it seems fetal pole only appears at 5.5-6.5 weeks and grows 1mm a day so you can date pregnancy from this by adding the mm to 6 weeks as an average. That would put me only a day or 2 behind. Also the same article said not to worry if there was no heartbeat until the fetal pole was 5mm which is isn't - it's half that.

So now I'm confused why the dr was so dismissive. He basically said you are either 5 weeks or having a MC. I know I'm not 5 weeks so had a rough evening last night thinking it was MC or MC. Feel a bit more like it could go either way today which makes me no worse than before I had the scan. It would have been nice to see a HB and its going to be a long 12 days but . . .

I'm also on progesterone.
I went in for 7 week scan and baby measured 6 weeks. I was charting and we didn't dtd after ovulation so I was sure of my dates.
I went back later at 9 weeks (would be 8 weeks by doctor's measurements) and baby had a great heart rate and had caught up 2 days. Lots of women told me they had the same thing happen and by 12 weeks, the baby had caught up.

I worried too. You're doing everything you can for baby. Plus, it's so small that if baby curled a little or if position is exact or measurements are exact, it can really throw off the measurements.

tbh a lot of doctors act like they are clueless about early pregnancy. When I was 6.5 weeks with my daughter (absolutely certain on dates) they only saw an empty sac measuring 4 weeks, but my hcg was 16000 so they said there should be a baby by then. And then my daughter continued to measure a week behind until she caught up by 13 weeks.

I am also pretty certain on dates this time because we only had sex once, but they said my baby measured 8w2d which put me almost 2 weeks behind what I thought I was. I think it is a mix of her being an idiot and getting it wrong, and I guess my babies just measure behind. So I think I'm about a week behind.

This early, nothing is certain about a m/c. The important thing is there's a baby in there and it's in the right place. Don't listen to that doctor. He sounds stupid.

Chances are baby will be fine. Good luck :hugs:

Thank you ladies you have cheered me up! I guess I just have to wait it out.

I think Drs are so used to the science its like if it does x then y will happen but pregnancy isn't like that. Ive got a friend that's a midwife and she said midwifery is more of an art than a science because sometimes stuff just isn't explainable.

When I had the last miscarriage I felt the doctors I saw were crap at talking to me (even the female ones). The nurses in the EPAU were great but then had to wheel in a dr to tell me what they already knew. I wish they hadn't really as the dr was so cold and matter of fact it made me feel crap. The nurses on the otherhand were really sympathetic, told me how it was asked how I felt about it etc. I know their jobs are different but sympathy and kindness are free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->