Scan showed bilateral clubfoot?

PeppersCastle

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

went for a scan today and the sonographer told us that our daughter has bilateral talipes (club-feet), does anyone have any experience with this?

We've been referred to a consultant and will get another scan to make sure she does have club-feet, if she does, what can we expect from this? Can they tell how severe the problem is from scans or do we have to wait until she's born? I know it's not the end of the world but I'm scared for my baby and what she's going to have to go through when she's born. Neither of us have a history of club-feet in our family, I don't know what could have caused this, maybe nothing, but does that mean it might be much less severe because it's just "happened"? Can they tell what's caused it - as in can they tell if it's caused by posture or is there a way to tell if it's in the genes?

On the one hand, it's definitely not the worst defect to have and is easily fixable. On the other I'm scared that my baby will have the first few months of her life overtaken by appointments & casts and the next few years overtaken by appointments, surgery, and those little bar shoes. I feel horribly guilty, and that I've done this to her, but I've read that plenty of children are born with clubfeet and it's mild enough to just need physio in the first few months to correct it so I'm hoping that's all she'll need.

Does anyone have any stories to share? Best case/Worst case scenarios you've experience yourself, or a relative you have, or your own baby? I'm worried for her.

Thank you.

Hi! Sorry not going to be the best help but my cousins son was born with one clubbed foot and he just had to wear a cast for a while and it corrected itself! I don't think he had to have any surgeries? Hoping it will be a similar scenario for you!

Please try not to worry too much or be hard on yourself. My son's bilateral club feet was picked up at our 20 wk scan and he is now a crazy 4 1/2 year old who can run like the wind. Please feel free to message me if you have questions but I will start with a few things.
If you haven't been offered ask for a more detailed scan. Try not to worry too much when they start talking about associated syndromes. I have met a lot of families through Facebook and iit's rare for it to be associated. Especially if there are no other markers. They will probably offer you an amniotic and it's up to you but unless there are a number of other things it's not necessary.
No matter what they tell you there is absolutely no way to know for sure how severe it will be before the baby is born. Also if it is picked up this early it is most likely fixed bilateral talipes and will require Ponsetti treatment. Please have a look at the Steps charity website and they can help you find your nearest Ponsetti trained orthopaedic surgeon or Physio led Ponsetti clinic. If you are on Facebook there is a fab group called Happy Feet Talipes New*
Again if you have other questions please just ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->