Scan today – so confused and sad – update

Jencocoa

Reaction score
I am more confused than ever. I went for the scan again today and I still do not have a definitive answer however they told me more than likely I will miscarry but that it's always a chance of a miracle. The ultrasound showed that the baby didn't really grow but we did see a heartbeat. The heartbeat was very weak. My midwife wasn't in but they had a doctor come talk to me and say that while the baby grew slightly it was not what they would like to see or what they typically see at this stage. She said the heartbeat was also low for what they would see at this stage. They basically made it sound like the baby is struggling and eventually will not make it and I will miscarry. I knew it was not looking good but a few days ago I finally started to get pregnancy symptoms… Severe nausea, fatigue, major aversion to smells and foods. So I thought perhaps things would be OK. I am carrying a live baby right now but it's a baby who is not well and is really struggling in that just breaks my heart into pieces. It's like I'm just waiting to cramp and bleed or for the ultrasound to show a heartbeat has stopped. I'm going to try to live as if a miracle will happen but at the same time should I get too attached just to be brokenhearted?

Jen I'm so sorry you are going through this, I went through a threatened mc which sadly did end, it was a horrible week waiting for a scan to confirm my mc so I can understand how you must be feeling, the uncertainty is cruel.

When is your next scan? Is there anything that can be done for you? I am hoping for a miracle for you, please don't be afraid to be attached, this baby is a blessing and will always have a place in your heart.

I'm so sorry your scan didn't go well. Was only thinking earlier your scan was today and hoping all was well. Miracles happen everyday, don't lose hope. Lots of babies make it when everyone thought they wouldn't. My dd is one of them. Im really praying your little one keeps fighting. Hugs x

I'm praying for you and baby! Hoping for a miracle...

So sorry you're going through this. Sending you lots of miracle dust! :dust:

Jencocoa- did they tell you what the heartbeat was? That's probably more telling than anything. Your scan today reminds me of my first baby and my very first scan ever at exactly 8 weeks. It was horrible to hear my baby was small with a HB of 42. I wish I had words of reassurance and comfort but I know all too well nothing really helps in this situation. Are you going back next week to recheck for growth and a HB? I see you are 7 1/2 weeks ish?! Any chance your dates are off and baby is measuring small with a lower HB because it's just started beating? Sending you huge hugs!

Jencocoa- did they tell you what the heartbeat was? That's probably more telling than anything. Your scan today reminds me of my first baby and my very first scan ever at exactly 8 weeks. It was horrible to hear my baby was small with a HB of 42. I wish I had words of reassurance and comfort but I know all too well nothing really helps in this situation. Are you going back next week to recheck for growth and a HB? I see you are 7 1/2 weeks ish?! Any chance your dates are off and baby is measuring small with a lower HB because it's just started beating? Sending you huge hugs!

Thank you for your words. I wish I had asked for the heart rate and what I was measuring as even with the limited growth but in the moment I didn't. My midwife was out so they had me speak to a doctor in the practice and they did tell me that my midwife is calling me tomorrow to go over everything so I am going to ask her tomorrow and I will post it. I did read a lot online about how inaccurate early scans can be especially if you have a tilted uterus, which I do. I think you ladies are right and I might as well proceed with hope because it will hurt either way who am I kidding. Better to be positive. My husband is looking up warrior names lol.

Jen I'm so sorry you are going through this, I went through a threatened mc which sadly did end, it was a horrible week waiting for a scan to confirm my mc so I can understand how you must be feeling, the uncertainty is cruel.

When is your next scan? Is there anything that can be done for you? I am hoping for a miracle for you, please don't be afraid to be attached, this baby is a blessing and will always have a place in your heart.

Thank you so much. My next scan is a week from today at 12:30. I'm supposed to stay on the progesterone and keep taking my vitamins and iron and that's it as far as I know.

With a tilted uterus the baby can look smaller than its actual size until it's big enough to pop up out of the pelvis into the abdomen some. Also I know from experience the sensitivity of the equipment makes a huge difference. For example my RE's office can see a 6 week gestation pregnancy clearly and hear the HB but my OB's office still gets fuzzy pictures at 9-10 weeks. If I had gone to my OB's office today they likely would have found my sac but not the embryo with the HB because their equipment isn't sensitive enough. There's always hope. It's not over til it's over. Don't give up. Talk to your baby. Encourage him/her to grow. Positivity can make a huge difference.

And one more thing. As I'm sure you know a few days off on dates this early makes a HUGE difference. So even a 2-4 day miscalculation could make it look like you were behind when you aren't.

And one more thing. As I'm sure you know a few days off on dates this early makes a HUGE difference. So even a 2-4 day miscalculation could make it look like you were behind when you aren't.

True. We had sex only once this cycle, June 20 or 21. But maybe the egg came later, that 5 day thing. If that's the case I could use June 26 as conception date. OK I just went to a due date calculator and picked calculated by using date of conception. When I did it for June 20 it says I am eight weeks however if I pick June 26 it says I'm five weeks… How could there be a three-week difference? That doesn't make sense, does it?

I plugged it in and if you ovulated the 20th you'd be 8 weeks today and if the 26th you'd be 7+1. But if your uterus is tilted maybe you measure smaller than you really are. The HB will give you more info. Hopefully it's over 100. I'm guessing it is or they might have suggested you stop your progesterone since they seem ready to give up. But I don't think you are anywhere near giving up. It's still too early. And as long as there is cardiac activity there's hope.

I plugged it in and if you ovulated the 20th you'd be 8 weeks today and if the 26th you'd be 7+1. But if your uterus is tilted maybe you measure smaller than you really are. The HB will give you more info. Hopefully it's over 100. I'm guessing it is or they might have suggested you stop your progesterone since they seem ready to give up. But I don't think you are anywhere near giving up. It's still too early. And as long as there is cardiac activity there's hope.

They said they don't intervene if there's a heartbeat. And you are right I am definitely not giving up!! I really liked your advice on positive thinking and talking to the baby. ❤️

My acupuncturist taught me to visualize and talk to my baby. Sometimes it helps me and sometimes it doesn't. But it certainly only does good things for the baby- all that positive energy. Keep us all posted when you hear from your mw tomorrow.

Praying for a little miracle for you!!! Please keep us posted on updates.

So so sorry to hear this Jen. Crossing my fingers for you that this is one miracle little sticky baby!! Keep us posted!

Sounds like there is some hope there, love that your OH is looking up warrior names!

Everything crossed for you here xx

Not pregnant yet (I don't think) but have been popping in here and keeping up with you! Think of it this way....last week there was NO heartbeat! You could only be 7 weeks and it's a possibility that everything is fine! Keep on keepin' on, Sista!

I'm so sorry your going through this!!! I am keeping you in my thoughts!! Please stay positive!!!!

I am praying for the best for you. It has been a quite the journey for you so far. A heartbeat is amazing regardless. Keep that head up and stay positive!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->