Scared and need advice...

gypsy1981

Mum and expecting #2
Reaction score
So my doctors surgery just called me and asked me to go in for further blood tests tomorrow morning following on from the results from my 28 week blood tests as they need to test for b12 and folate deficiency. I asked why and she said she wasn't sure, she was just passing on a message from the doctor but she was presuming my last tests had shown a deficiency in these areas. I asked to speak to the doctor and she said she'll get someone to call me after surgery as they're all busy at the minute but now I'm terrified. I stupidly googled and it says that deficiencies can lead to birth defects, low birth weight, premature birth, placental abruption and neurological and heart problems for me.

I've no idea how long I've been deficient - that's if I actually am. Is this something that would have been tested for in my 8 week blood tests or is this the first time it's been tested? Does anyone know much about this? I'm so frightened that something is wrong with baby and I'm going to drive myself mad for the next 3 hours until someone calls me back :(

So sorry I have never been through this problem, my 28 week bloods came back with a problem but it wasn't in the same area as you.

I hope someone will pop along soon with some answers for you :hugs:

My folate has been fine throughout my pregnancy but then i had blood tests around 30 weeks and they had dropped. Not significantly, i think 20 is the cut-off and mine were 19. Midwife prescribed some iron tablets and i then had another blood test at 36 weeks and everything came back fine.
I wouldn't worry, they probably just want to prescribe you some supplements :)

Thanks for your replies. They finally called me back 2 hours later than they said they would and the receptionist had the message totally wrong. She said my blood tests had shown that my red blood cells were slightly enlarged so they routinely check B12 and folate levels to see if this is the cause. She also said it's likely that this is just a normal side effect of pregnancy so not to worry and that there is no risk to baby as if my levels are low then they can just put me on supplements. 5 hours of worry for possibly nothing! Breathing a sigh of relief though :) x

Mummy to be - hope your results were nothing too concerning x

Hi hun even if you do show low levels it really isn't as scary as it sounds. I have a b12 and folate deficiency and have to have 12 weekly vitamin b12 injections plus take extra folate. your baby should be just fine and if you are low on B12 then the injections make a world of difference - instant energy! When I first found out I was so scared but it honestly isn't anything to worry yourself about, it's easily treatable x

Had the same plus a marker for infection. Repeated bloods with same results so we've just left it and monitoring whilst taking Floradix.

JW - thanks for the reassurance. I've been so worried and still don't have my results. Had my bloods taken yesterday and was supposed to get the results today but when I called the surgery they said the doctor hadn't had a chance to review them yet so someone would call me back but yet again they haven't. Looks like I'm going to have to wait til Monday now :( X

Mrsvenn - what is floradix? X

Manky iron and vitamin rich formula..

It's basically a natural solution to iron tablets, smells alright, take it and it's revolting but it has worked and brought my levels up.

So I finally got my blood test results back this afternoon and apparently my levels for both B12 and folate are borderline so I have to have the tests repeated to see if my levels are going up or down.

I'm confused though, what would cause me to be deficient? Is anyone able to shed any light on this?

JW, how many weeks were you when you became deficient? Did they give you any explanation as to why it happened? I'm quite concerned and hoping baby isn't affected in any way. Do you only need the B12 injections while pregnant or is it something that needs to be treated permanently now? Sorry for all the questions I'm just really confused. I never had any complications with my daughter so this is all new to me x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->