Scared of pooping during delivery

redneckhippy

Reaction score
It may sound really silly, but one of my biggest fears about labor is pooping during delivery. I'm really private about these things and won't even let my husband see me pee, so the thought that he might see me poop is horrifying to me. Honestly I don't want anyone but the MW down there seeing anything. I want to have a natural birth at a birth center, which I love everything about (they have real beds, birth tubs, etc) except I'm afraid that I will poop on the bed or poop in the tub or whatever. Is there anyway to avoid pooping when you give birth? It may seems trivial, but it's causing me a lot of anxiety and making me doubt my birth choices.

If you do poop during labour the midwife will scoop it up discreetly (as awful as it sounds) but really you may not even notice you'll be that focused on getting your baba out.

I've told my partner that pooping in labour can happen and most probably will, if he sees it then so be it, he won't love me any less and I'm pretty sure your hubby won't either :hugs:

I'm going to be brutally honest here because I was the same way you are before I had my DD.

I pooped while giving birth to her, and it really did embarrass me. I'm not saying this to make you worry, just being honest. I was in labor for 2 days before pushing and had not gone at all during that time so I had a feeling I would. The nurse was really quick to wipe it away. I apologized profusely to my OB about it over and over and he just kept telling me that it was a good thing, that it means that I am pushing "the right way" because you are supposed to bear down.

Also, I don't know how it works at a birthing center, but I had my DD in a hospital and the bottom part of the bed breaks away and there is a big plastic-bag lined tub under that part of the bed and your butt kind of hangs over that and catches "everything" that comes out, so I definitely didn't poop in the bed.

:hugs:

Honestly... Before my first labour it was all I worried about. I have no idea if I did or not during my first and if I did the midwives discretely removed it but there's no chance I'd have cared either way. I still don't let DH see me pee.

My 2nd labour was entirely different and I had a very quick water birth and the only reason the midwife realised the baby was on his way was because I started shouting about how I'd feel better if I could just poo, then promptly pooped right there in the pool. It felt like the most normal thing in the world and didn't even occur to me that I was actually pushing out the baby.

We laughed about it afterwards and yeah, DH still teases me a little but I'm opting for a home water birth this time and have told him to have the pooper scooper ready so we are not traumatised by it in the slightest.

The midwife also told me it happens to everyone.

I promise you, you will not care :)

Its amazing how little you care about things once your in labour in pain.

I think being FTM its always going to be these worries but seriously is no need.

Thought of anyone sticking hands up me would make me cringe, now i dont care its just one of things that needs to be done. So many people have seen down their now it dont bother me its part and parcel of having a baby.

Your body can go through a 'clear out' before labour which lowers the chances of pooping in labour.

I was the same way, and it was one of my biggest worries about labor. When it did happen, I couldn't have cared less since I was too busy focused on pushing her out. My husband has never mentioned it and I don't think he even really noticed (he spent a good part of the pushing stage running back and forth from the in-suite bathroom to my side with a cold washcloth for my face). :haha: They kept mats under my lower end, so the nurse just quickly bundled it up, tossed it in the trash, put a new one under me, and we resumed. It's really not a big deal, and the birthing staff sees it every day. If you're worried about your partner, you can always ask them to focus on your face instead of looking down there. :flower:

The only way to try and guarantee you don't poop during labour is to have an enema. I know it used to be a routine part of the process but that was 60 odd years ago when women mainly gave birth at home and things were far less sterile.

But as most people will tell you when the time comes you probably won't even notice or care.

It's a perfectly normal part of the process and the midwives won't give a shit (😉).

I was the same way when I was pregnant with my first. My doctor was checking me for dilatation and told me that if I didn't poop that when I'm pushing ill poop while in labor. They did say it was normal and not to worry if I did poop. Eventually I pooped before it was time to push. But overall its totally normal and I'm not even worried this time around. I told my oh that theirs a chance I can poop during labor lol.

I felt the same way and was terrified. I also can't use the bathroom if DH can see me.

It happened and I barely realized. DH knew and didn't care. It came up in conversation recently and I told him I'm not letting him in the delivery room with me and he laughed and said he wants to be with me either way and doesn't care.

Thanks guys. It helps knowing I'm not the only one! I think I will ask my MW about it at my next appointment. I'm sure things will be totally different in the moment, but I still can't stand the thought of it!

I was worried about this with my first too. Everything turned out ok though.

As soon as labour started, my body seemed to have a clear out so I was in and out of the toilet loads. The only thing that came out of me during the birth was my baby :)

Honestly...........you probably will poo, but you wont care by that point.

I did and I couldn't have cared less. I was terrified at the thought of it beforehand but at the time you just want the baby out, this time I'm more scared about farting!!! Imagine the force :haha:

I pooped during pushing the last two labors. The last one I cared and was mortified. This next time I am asking for an enema. I know everyone reacts differently to things and i'm just one of those types that is woried and bothered by it. My last labor I was very aware of the poop. The labors previously I wasn't aware if I pooped or not. But, I was aware of it with my son, so this time around I will be asking for an enema. Not trying to scare you, just being honest.

I was too, let me just say that should be the last of ur worries. They don't care. I did like 5 times. And when undontheymclran it right up don't be scared sweetie. You won't even care when ur pushing its the last thought on ur mind

I was like that with my first, I pushed for 3 hrs because I was terrified to poop...... Stupid! My 2nd I just wanted to push my hardest and get baby out ASAP, he was out within 15 min of pushing .... I found out 2 days later that I actually did poo lol, I had no idea!! It was best that way also..... They clean it up immediately, and honestly, pushing as if you are pushing a BM Is the exact proper way to push..... They want you to push with those muscles..... So bear down and good luck!! :)

I got told to push as if I was trying to do the biggest poo in my life and DS was out in about 3 pushes - so obviously worked! Myself and DH have no idea if I actually pooped or not, and even any other mess must have got cleaned up pretty quickly because I didn't get out of the bed for a good while and it didn't feel like I was lying in muck or anything.

I have no idea if I did or not. I suspect I did because at one poinot the MW seemed to titidy up a little while I was pushing.

In the old days it was standard that in early labour an enema was given. It was believed to slow things down if you hadn't been cleared out

Just imagine how many times a day these midwives clean up poop, they won't even bat an eyelid. It's a normal, boring part of their job.

DH on the other hand... He's gonna be so caught up in everything that is going on and the thought of meeting his little baby, even if he did see you poop, he wouldn't even care. Maybe just ask him to not mention it if you do, after all you've gona through I'm sure he would give you that courtesy!

I was panicked about this too, it was my biggest fear walking into labor.

I pooped during labor. I knew it, but the nurse was swift to clean things up and didn't say a word. My husband wasn't down there, so he was none the wiser until I started laughing about it.

Laughing. Once had been afraid, but at that point, I was just like, "Dude, whatever." I just wanted her OUT, so that kind of went out the window. :rofl: So there's a good chance you may be so in-the-zone with labor, you won't even think about it when the time comes. And if nothing else, it's so common... you just roll with the punches.

Since having the baby, I've gone back to not peeing or pooping in front of my husband. It's a birthing-only thing in my world. ;) lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->