scared they wont let me have my home water birth just because its my first

karla1

proud mummy of 1
Reaction score
hello ladies

the title pretty much says it all. i am petrified they will try and tell me i cant have my home water birth because its my first, but i am also worried they will try and tell me there are other reasons (staffing levels, my weight, high risk) that actually are not true and they will do this just to get their own way

any experience from any ladies that have had a homebirth for their first would be great i really really really dont want a hospital birth :cry:

they might try but they cant make you go to hospital hun if you plan a home waterbirth unless in labour you NEED to transfer they cant make you, id get your birthing partner onside now or a doula who will support you

Hun they can say no, but really it is only a recommendation. By law they cannot 'not allow' you a homebirth.

Even if they try to play the staffing levels card - just keepsaying I am plannign a homebirth and I expect to be attended.

If they keep pplaying that card write to the head of midwifery in your are asking why their staff are forcing you to have an unassisted homebirth - see how quickly their 'staffing levels' change then.

It is difficult to oppose what you are being told by people who traditionally know best and you do what they say but be strong and simply tell them I am planning a homebirth.

What reasons do you think will be given for you being high risk and them wanting you in hospital?

....BTW go look at www.homebirth.org

i dont know just everyone i talk to (family and friends none of which have had or wanted home births) they all keep saying its my first and they will want me in hospital as they have nothing to go off (past experience). i am over weight uk size 18 but have no health problems

i was told NO. as by bmi was 32.8 and recommend is 30 for a homebirth. i did everything they wanted me to such as ges diabiates (spelling) test seeing the consultant. she said cos it's your first and cos of your weight. but i said i want one so went against medical advise but not midwife advise as my midwifes were all on my side. no problems in preg kept active god i walked to every app at the hospital.

i got my homebirth which was also a water birth. it was trully amazing and would recommend it soooooooooo much. i did hypnobirthing and also read ina may gaskin guide to childbirth which i would also recommend.

i felt totally in controll the whole time no pain relive at all and would do it again in a second ( infact i siad straight after that i would do it again) just read up stick to your guns and keep fit and active to help prevent stuff.

good luck

this is me at in my birth pool at home.

oops forgot pic:blush:

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 12
thank you the midwife at the hospital was on my side but the community midwifes and GP have all told me i have a fight on my hands on GP even tried scaring me by saying after the 2 years TTC why would i want to put my baby in a position where if anything went wrong there would be nothing that could be done!!!!

Ergh...why would there be any problems?

A homebirth is as safe as a hospital birth is an uncomplicated pregnancy - which by the sounds of it yours is.

A HB reduces the need and want for pain relief and interventions - not just because they arent there but you labour better in your own home relaxed and at ease.

99% of the time if there are any issues requiring intervention then you have some lead up time and it can be addressed.

Would you or your family be happy with a birth centre birth? If they say they are then also let them know there is nothing that can be done in a Birth Centre that cannot be done at home!

I chose to go to hospital with my first because we were moving house, and I didn't feel comfortable planning to birth in a house I hadn't seen yet! Although supportive of my choice, my midwives were almost pushy in encouraging me to consider home birth, so you may be surprised!

If you do come up against opposition though, as the others have said, stand your ground!

I had my baby at home 3 weeks ago, she's my first. I didn't have any opposition from the midwives, they were supportive of it. If anything I got judged more by my 'friends'. Telling me that I'll want pain relief/it isn't safe etc..

If the midwives do try to put you off, it is your decision - they cannot force you to go to hospital.

Here's my birth story: https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/755793-got-my-homebirth-d.html

All I would say is that time of year you are due, you need to consider the weather. I wanted a home birth last year but was due Dec 17th, it was on the understanding that the snow on the ground wasn't more than 6inches.

I have been supported about my home birth by everyone apart from one midwife and she has been a nightmare and effectively told me this week I am risking the baby as his/her shoulder could get stuck. I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I got told no due to my height 4ft 9" which according to most midwives I have met isn't an issue. The consultant I saw also said she wouldn't recommend but had to err on the side of caution.

I would say go with what you feel and remember you can even during a homebirth decide to go to hospital if you wish.

I have decided to proceed with my home water birth and hope on the day I get a supportive midwife. I am open to going to the hospital last minute if I panic or feel that there may be an issue but I am hoping I remain strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->