Scarlet fever

sezzolou

Reaction score
Has anyone else's lo had this?
My 17 mo started with it a week ago. Very red sunburn looking rash all over his body, sore mouth/throat, occasional vomiting and had pretty much refused food and milk for 6 days now. He is drinking plenty of water but I can see he's really loosing weight. He's been on antibiotics for 5 days but I really struggle getting him to keep it down as he screams, gets really traumatised and either spits it out or brings it back up(tried 2 different types/flavours). The rash is now clearing and his skin is starting to peel in places which I knew would happen. Just worried as he's eating less each day and is sleeping more (usually has 1hour nap but has been having 4hours of daytime naps). He saw the Dr Monday and I had a telephone consultation yesterday.

Can anyone offer their experience of scarlet fever? He's had colds, d&v, chest infection In the past but this is by far the most upsetting so far. He's really not himself. Attached a pic of his rash for opinions too. The Dr wasn't 100% sure it is scarlet fever as it's quite rare but all the symptoms point towards it so she prescribed antibiotics for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 10
Aww Aidan you poor poor little scone. I have had Scarlett fever as a child (much older than your lo) and it was purple....i mean purple! I looked bruised from my nose down to the chest. It was itchy and sore but I don't recall it ever peeling.

I also cant recall how it affected me eating but I would possibly take him back to the docs.

On the getting him to take his anti biotic my only trick was mix it with yoghurt but if he isn't eating. I know its bad and you don't want to start a bad habit but is there anything sweet that you know he would eat ill or not. Like chocolate milk or something you could add it too?

Yes my son had it back in January, it was tough. It took around 5 days after the spots appeared for the rash and itching to go down and about three weeks for him to get back yo himself.

Lots of piriton to help with the itching and yoghurt for the spots

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->