SCH vs miscarriage

Cara x

Reaction score
I'm going through what I'm pretty sure is a miscarriage but I guess I'm just torturing myself by holding onto a glimmer of hope.

I had an early scan last week at around 5+5 due to spotting and they saw a gestational sac and yolk sac. They also saw what they said was a blood clot next to the sac. Yesterday at 6+3 I had a large fresh red bleed when I went to the toilet. I'm actually wondering if I passed something without realising as I had a bowel movement and it was very painful in my abdomen, sorry tmi. Couldn't see in the water because of all the blood. I went to a&e but they couldn't do anything as they don't have scan facilities at the weekend and the bleeding had slowed to only being a little when I wiped. The doctor felt my abdomen and it was agony when he pushed on my uterus, but no pain elsewhere. I wasn't feeling any cramps other than a few light ones like I have throughout the pregnancy.

This morning I am staying on bed rest so nothing is really coming onto a pad but I am having huge gushes every time I go to the toilet, and lots of blood and small stringy clots when I wipe. I am a lot more crampy but still not as bad as period pain. My uterus is still very tender to touch. I can hear lots of noises coming from my abdomen, the way I do on my period, and I have a slightly upset stomach the way I do on my period too.

My local maternity triage said I can go there to be assessed if I want, but they only have a portable scanner so they wouldn't expect to see much. I know I'm early and I also have a retroverted uterus so I'm guessing the chances of seeing anything are pretty slim. I have another scan appointment tomorrow so I'm thinking there's no point putting myself through the trauma today to be no further forward, might aswell wait til tomorrow.

But I just feel like I need an answer before then, so has anyone had experience of both SCH and miscarriage and is able to tell me any differences in the symptoms? I feel like the clots, period symptoms, and tender uterus are really bad signs. Just give it to me bluntly (either way) please, I'm clinging onto false hope but I need to prepare myself for the worst.

i have never had a sch but it does sound just like my mc especially with clots praying its not the case for you though and i hope and pray its good new for you tomorrow

I've never had SCH but doing a quick google search I think it could go either way for you. Considering they saw a blood clot next to the sack at your ultrasound-that could very well be the source of your bleeding.
Did they do any bloodwork when you went to the hospital? Beta levels? Anything? That could give you an indication of where the pregnancy is headed...

Hope you're doing ok, and praying for you.

Thank you so much for your help ladies but unfortunately there's not much room for doubt anymore. I'm currently getting ready to go back to the hospital, as per the midwife at triage's instructions, as I am bleeding through a pad in 30mins and having labour-type pains. :cry:

Thank you so much for your help ladies but unfortunately there's not much room for doubt anymore. I'm currently getting ready to go back to the hospital, as per the midwife at triage's instructions, as I am bleeding through a pad in 30mins and having labour-type pains. :cry:

I'm really sorry to hear this. Please keep us updated, it must be an emotional roller-coaster for you. Sending you lots of hugs.

I had a SCH and I had brown spotting from about 4/5 weeks. I later lost the pregnancy at 9 weeks 2 days and the brown spotting turned into bright red blood, lots of clots, and I passed the embryo. Right before the bright red blood started, I was having excruciating lower abdominal pain (contractions) and cramping. Unfortunately it sounds like you’ve experienced a miscarriage. Can you get serial hCG quants to see which direction it’s heading in? I’m so sorry you’ve experienced this. Don’t blame yourself if it is a miscarriage. The SCH didn’t cause this, so don’t think that it has. It’s just a terrible coincidence. I hope you get your rainbow baby soon. I lost my Little Bean in December 2014 and was pregnant after first try in May 2015 with our rainbow. Massive hugs, love, and light your way.

So sorry to hear this Cara - thinking about you and hoping it's a positive outcome after all

I have a large SCH and have had spotting and bleeding since a little over 5 weeks, clots can be normal for a SCH I've had clots and cramping with mine. I had myself convinced I was having a miscarriage at 6 weeks we saw no heartbeat and while my HCG levels were rising they weren't doubling as they should but at 7 weeks we saw the heartbeat and haven't had any new bleeding since around 8 weeks. The best thing to do to put your mind at rest is to get yourself checked out.

Thank you for your help everyone. Unfortunately the heavy bleeding continued all day yesterday and I had an internal ultrasound today to confirm the miscarriage. We are heartbroken after TTC for 4 years, but with the amount of blood that I lost I was completely expecting this outcome this morning.

:hugs:A lot of hugs for you all. Keeping you in my thoughts.

So sorry Cara, thinking about you and sending hugs your way

So sorry Cara. Thinking of you. Miscarriage is physically exhausting (as well as emotionally) so i hope you're able to take some time off work to rest & recover :hugs:

So sorry to hear this Cara. My thoughts are with you. Be strong, going through MC is not easy. Get a lot of rest, physical and emotional; I sincerely hope you have support from the people around you. We are here for you if we can help in any way. Lots of hugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->