School admission and catchment help

live_in_hope

VR miracle Mummy now TTC 3rd (not VR)
Reaction score
hey all,
i imagine this is the kind of thing that gets asked a lot but I wondered if anybody could help me....i know it will be different in different areas too...

There is only 1 school in my catchment and it is the school that I work in. I dont want my LO to go to that school. Full stop... So I will have to apply out of catchment. There is a school I would love for her to go to and I know I stand no chance of getting her in....If. I move to within the catchment area, will I be guaranteed a place does anybody know? Also, it has become an Academy and I dont know if they have their own admission policy? I dont want to move if it isnt going to get me what I want! :haha:

I know I could ask at work but the people who would know, would be the people that would question why I wont be sending her there and I dont want to explain my reasons for fear I'll be putting my job on the line :shrug: eek! Lol

Thanks in advance xx

I'm not sure, perhaps contact the school you want her to go to and see their admissions policies

It's different in different areas.

For example in my area they don't operate a catchment system but do ask that you apply for schools within a reasonable distance, we've applied for 3 schools that aren't technically in what would be our catchment but are all within a 15/20 minute drive.

thank you, perhaps i will send an email...i figured the process would be relatively similar across the board...x

It should tell you on your councils website.
Ours operates on catchment but I'd rather walk over hot coals than send my boy there.
I've applied for 2 schools either side of catchment and keeping my fingers firmly crossed!

I feel the same about my catchment school...and i work there! :shock: :haha: but like alot of schools in my area, alot have become academies and are therefore not attached to the council... I have actually just emailed the school to ask if they have their own admissions policy and to see what my chances are...we would love to move there...but its a lovely place where property doesnt come up that often :nope: we'll see xx

If it's an academy then yes, it can set it's own rules for admission. They may well be (?should be?) published on their website.

Moving into a catchment area doesn't guarantee a place at the school. My local catchment area community school is heavily oversubscribed so they haven't admitted from outside the catchment area for years, they publish the furthest distance offered each year for children within the catchment area. The head said that usually 5-15 children living within the catchment area don't get an offer of a reception place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->