School applications, wwyd?

lau86

Reaction score
Does anyone know how it works with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices? I can see our catchment school from here, as far as I know its not oversubscribed/ not too badly so. I'm going to put that first and tbh I think it would be quite shocking if my son didn't get a place.
The next furthest school is a 10-15 minute walk away and isn't as good as my first school.
Should I put that down second? It's the only other alternative really unless I'm going to go way out of area and it's pointless applying for other better schools as they would be over subscribed.
I don't know if they would be more likely to give me it if I've put it down versus not having put a second choice at all? Sort of like putting it down is saying I'm happy for him to go there, when really I'm not.
This is hard!

I would put the other School as your second choice. As far as I am aware, they try to get you in (as long as you meet the criteria, not oversubscribed etc) but if they can't, then they look at your second choice.

If you don't put a second choice, and you don't get your first choice, your Son will be placed in a School that has a space. It can be anywhere within the Council area. It has happened to a couple of people in my area, they were offered a place in a School in a different town (despite there being 5 primary schools in my town.)

You can still appeal even if they offer you your 2nd option.

Yep I would 100% put down a second choice. If you dont get your first choice and you haven't put another choice the council will literally just place you in any school that has a space.
We had a choice of five and I put five down, although I only wanted my lo to go into the top two I had put down i wanted some choice and her not to be just placed anywhere.
As above pp I know people that this has happened too

Ah ok I was wondering if they went to the next neareSt or just gave you whatever's left. If that's the case I will definitely put more choices down.

They do just give you what's left, as the next school to you may be full/over subscribed.
When I was little you just went to the closest school to you!!!!

Sorry to jump on this post. is it generally three choices you have to list? We won't have to do this for my DD until next Hera but I am already looking at schools.
Thanks

Ooh I'm not sure sorry, I would struggle to find 3 schools tbh!

I think the amount of choices offered vary area to area. I had 3 choices but this year they upped it to 4. I've heard some areas ask for 5.
The council explained they treat each each choice as an individual application and if they can offer more than 1 then they give you your highest preference if that makes sense.
If you can have a look At the schools priority and how many applications they had vs spaces available. Most schools have catchment as high priority (after statement/care children and military if applicable then sibling/sibling in catchment)
We live next door to the school ds1 goes to which I put as first choice. I then chose 2 schools within walking distance. His school is oversubscribed but because we are in catchment we were OK. If too many children in catchment are applying it's based on distance to school.

We could make up to five choices when we applied for Louis. I only put three as the others were either too far to walk to or a religious school. It wasn't compulsory to put down five choices. Thankfully he got the school he was already attending nursery class in as it is our catchment school. The other two we applied for were close enough for walking and lovely schools too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->