• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

School fine for holiday.

Boomerslady

Reaction score
I just wanted some advice on what you would do in this situation.

FOB took Ben to Florida in October/Nov. he told me it was for 2 weeks, one week being the half term, and I couldn't say no as I did the same last year when I took Ben away.

Once he told me the dates it transpired Ben would be off school for 9 days, so a nearly 3 week holiday. I wasn't too happy about it but it was all paid for so out of my hands. His dad promised if we got a fine he'd pay.

Now a week before Xmas I got the letter! I txt him and basically got lots of swearing back about how it was bollocks he got fined but I didn't for the previous year, he was contesting it all the way and not paying it, so he's arranged a meeting with the head and yesterday told me its on 11th Jan, but I'm meant to be working, and I can't afford to take time off.

Part of me thinks this is his issue and he can deal with it on his own, however the fine is in my name (they seem to have just issued one £60 fine) not his, so if he gets stubborn and won't pay I'm liable. I'm wondering about arranging a meeting with the head separately more to ask if they can change the name! But I also know how hot headed he is, and he doesn't really know how to conduct himself in a meeting (parents evening was shambolic!) so if I do go with him on 11th he stands a better chance of having it cancelled.

WWYD?

I would try and go to a meeting with the school. Is there any chance you can take it as your lunch break? When do your holidays "refresh" as such?

If you can't go to that netting try and go to a meeting with the headteacher and explain the situation. When you took Ben out of school for a holiday and didn't get fined was that when he was in reception? As my understanding is of they do it it before they legally have to start school then they can't fine you which would explain why they didn't fine you.

Your name is on there so as your liable I would do what I can to resolve this as best as possible.

If you can't make the meeting that has already been arranged, I would try & arrange another meeting for you to attend and speak with the Head. However, not sure speaking to the Head would do much as it's not the school who issue the fine.

As you've said, the fine is in your name so you are liable. Can you ring the Local Authority and get the fine transferred to the Dads name? (Although, this may trigger them to up the fine as as far as I am aware, the fine is supposed to be £60 per parent, per child.)

I could take time off work and make it up, but part of me thinks why should I? He was the irresponsible one who booked such a long holiday that I didn't agree with. But as you said because it's in my name I probably should go, but you're right if they teig they've only fined one of us they may up it.

The letter says on it that the school have issued he fine, not the LA and the only way to get it revoked is via the head teacher.

It just frustrates me that I get loads of crap and rude msgs from him about it when I didn't cause any of it!! I didn't get to spend 3 weeks enjoying myself!

When I took him last year he was in year 1, but only had 5 days off school. That seems to be the cut off point, 6days or more off and you get fined.

was the holiday regarded as unauthorised absence? i presume the schoo said no to the request and he went anyway?
Its crazy that kids can't have holisayd in school time, i can understand with secondary but not primary

i would speak to the head and say you didnt take him out of school and she needs to address the fine to the correct parent. Youre Ex cannot 'fight' a fine you are liable for in court anyway

Thanks for replying everyone. Yes it went down as unauthorised and he went anyway.

I've got the flu atm and feel so awful I can't contemplate anything other than how to look after Ben while feeling like this! As the meeting is next Weds hopefully I'm better before then and maybe arrange a call with the head. I honestly think he should just pay the fine, considering he got away with £60 not £120, I just want it out of my name, as it's nothing to do with me!

So slight update, after talking to FOB apparently we have both been fined, before Xmas when we got the letter he called the LA to get a hold placed on the fitness he couldn't dispute it with the school being shut. He txt me and said he'd sorted it (when I thought there was one fine!).

So that now means my fine isn't on hold I guess and I need to ring the LA first thing, as it's due in 3 days and I've lost the letter. His mum has agreed to pay so I'll leave him to argue with the school and she can cover it if need be.

I'm just so angry with him for never communicating with me.

I would speak to the Head because although it is their policy they do have control over whether to enforce the fine, I spoke to our Head and he doesn't agree with the system and has never issued a fine, we have had 2 holidays authorised for this year (there is a long story to this to defend myself but I won't go into it here ha!)

I'm glad you're not having to pay due to his mum, but it does seem particularly unfair when you are separated and it was his holiday. Anyway I will be surprised if this system continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->