School Starters?

Charlie getting on well so far! Apart from a run in with a particular boy, he's been enjoying school and now stays away from this boy (thank goodness). He loves Tuesday, they get professional football coaching on Tuesday and that's his absolute favourite thing about his whole week right now :haha:

For homework he has one A4 sheet of paper with the letter or letters of the day. For example today was ng, which he has to trace 5 times and write freehand 5 times. Then he has to sound out the letters and learn and write a short word containing ng (we chose ring). He then has to colour a picture of something that has the letter(s) in it, it's not too difficult for him and only takes 15 minutes - they have numbers coming up soon! He also has a 'tricky words wallet' with words like "the, she, I and he" he has to learn to say these and write them too.

Charlie getting on well so far! Apart from a run in with a particular boy, he's been enjoying school and now stays away from this boy (thank goodness). He loves Tuesday, they get professional football coaching on Tuesday and that's his absolute favourite thing about his whole week right now :haha:

For homework he has one A4 sheet of paper with the letter or letters of the day. For example today was ng, which he has to trace 5 times and write freehand 5 times. Then he has to sound out the letters and learn and write a short word containing ng (we chose ring). He then has to colour a picture of something that has the letter(s) in it, it's not too difficult for him and only takes 15 minutes - they have numbers coming up soon! He also has a 'tricky words wallet' with words like "the, she, I and he" he has to learn to say these and write them too.

Wow he sounds like hes doing brilliantly :) You must be really proud xx

Jacob is enjoying school. He's started saying he doesn't want to go this week but once he's there he appears to enjoy it. He's had activity packs sent home to work on with us, they're pretty simple 'games' such us making words out of plastic letters, putting the right wooden number on the number board etc. He's also been bringing home library books which are changed weekly and yesterday he came home with a reading book and a reading record book that we fill in and the teachers can highlight words in the back of it that he'll begin to learn. He had a sheet of paper with letters on that he had to trace around and say out loud the phonic sound to each letter which he managed no problem. He's also eating the free hot lunches which is brilliant as he's a very fussy eater!
We have a parents meeting coming up and a parent teacher workshop so i'm looking forward to seeing and hearing how he's getting on as he doesn't tell me much about his day!

Esther's not had any proper homework yet.
She's had a sheet home telling us the topic they are covering this half term (all about me). She was asked to find a baby picture-write her name in it and talk about the differences between her as a baby and her now.
She won't start getting a reading book home until after half term.
I'm not big in homework when they are this young-she's had a busy day at school and I really feel she's needs time just to relax. Even my 7 year old only gets one piece of homework a week which I think is plenty (he obviously has his reading book each day and a list of spellings to practice)

Anyone else's little ones still not settling? We are still having tears most mornings,'it's heartbreaking. We've never had an issue before now, he's gone to childminders and preschool since he was 9 months old!

Daisy does like school and does want to go and we had parents evening yesterday which went exactly as I expected (very able academically but some issues with how emotional and sensitive she can be). She has started saying so and so says he hates her and so and so says she can't play. She is saying it a lot and that is making me feel quite sad. She is also very emotional at home which hadn't been too much of an issue at all for a long time but seems to have reared its head again.

Sorry to hear that R is still having trouble settling moo moo x

Omar is doing well at school, he was assessed this week to put him in the right reading band, he was the only child assessed for reading, they started to give them the magic words, they are doing the golden ones but at home we're done with golden, red, blue & green, I use flash cards to teach him. At school they are revising letters & are taking 3 letters per week, he knows whcih letters they are taking in order looool. He gets a sheet for every letter each week, he hates writing & homework, he hates it when I try to teach him how to write a letter properly. The worksheets are not mandatory but I want him to do them to improve his handwriting. They gave him a reading book for this week red band & they gave me a guideline on how to go on with reading, he should be able to figure out what's going on with the story by looking at the pics 1st, then he should read the story & answer the comprehension questions at the end of the book, he will be re-assessed every week & will be given a new book every 3-4 days. After new year break he will entered in the school's reading program which is for PY 1 & up. I'm glad for the support I'm receiving from his school.

He was picked on by 3 bullies in class so his teacher encouraged him to give a lecture about good behaviour in class.

He still doesnt have friends but he's ok with it.

He doesnt seem tired after school but we have meltdowns at home from time to time.

Anyone else's little ones still not settling? We are still having tears most mornings,'it's heartbreaking. We've never had an issue before now, he's gone to childminders and preschool since he was 9 months old!

:hugs:

Does he like it there? Omar was the same last year, it was his 1st year in school, he wasnt so fond of his key teacher, but when they hired a new TA he was ok.

This year he loves it there as the teacher is so nice, last year we were always late as we had meltdowns almost every morning but this year he wakes up early & he asks us to hurry as he doesnt want to arrive late.

Tom tells me everyday that he doesn't want to go and we often get that no one will play with him. But when I've spoken to his teacher (who is really on the ball about him being needy) he's got friends to play with and is having a lovely time at school.

He's found going 5 days a week really hard and I've been surprised how tired and unsettled he is even though he did 3 days a week at nursery from really small. He's been all over the place this week and wanting to go to sleep cuddled up on my knee again.

Have you spoken to his teacher about how he is in school? Is he ok when he's there?

:hugs:
Sorry to hear your lo not settling yet. Does the school have "nurture class" or something similar? Charlie's friend isn't settling so well and can't really cope with the structured days but has been going to nurture classes the last couple of weeks and seems to be coping better. It's basically classes to help them integrate more and learn to handle being in groups - taking turns, sharing etc... his mum was pretty upset at first but now she can see the benefits from it. She felt bad because she had the option of holding him back a year but didn't and she feels he probably wasn't ready in hindsight. He was fine at nursery with sharing and being in groups but for whatever reason, doesn't do so well with it at school, but these classes seem to be a good thing for the ones who need it. I hope he settles soon - have the teachers spoken to you about what might happen if he doesn't?

Sorry he's not settled in yet. There are a number of children in E's year that are crying and not wanting to go in so he definitely not unique in this.
It may be that he's really tired as being at school is totally different to childminders/preschool. Have you spoken to his teacher to see how he is generally while he's at school?

Jacob has days of being settled and other days when he's clearly very tired and says he hates school. I have noticed a few of the kids still not wanting to go in on their own and holding on to their parents for dear life. I think it's natural. Some kids are more confident naturally and some more sensitive. It is a huge deal for them, they're still very young xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->