Science museum or History museum?

sunshine114

Reaction score
I'm going to London for the day in October with my mum and aunt, we are travelling by coach, having lunch in a hotel in Kensington and then seeing a show in the evening. As part of the day we get some free time, and were thinking of one of the museums. It would be walking distance from the hotel (i hate the underground so don't want to use it) but not sure which is better? We've been on a trip like this before and done harrods etc so are after something not shopping this time. I'm a primary teacher so would like either museum I think - but what would you London ladies recommend?? x

I've been to the Science museum. It was interesting although I'm not a massive science fan. It's very large though and the food is very expensive.

Thanks for the info. We will have just had lunch so wouldn't worry about needing food. We will have about 3 hours I think if memory serves me right from last time if that makes a difference... Would that be long enough for either museum?

I've not been to the history but depending on how long you look at various exhibits for in the science museum you might need more time. Although you can always skip parts you aren't interested in?
A donation, recommended fiver, is asked for because of the free entry aswell :)

I prefer the history museum myself!
they are right beside each other so you could always go to the other one if you didnt fancy the first one.
The V&A is also there as well which is fab if you are just adults, it can get boring for children.

I really enjoyed the History Museum.
As a PP said, the V&A is right next door too!

The history museum does look good - do they have the dinosaurs all th time or is it just a summer thing?

Do you mean the Natural History Museum? They're right next to each other you could try darting through both! We take DS to the science bit with the experiments and the the dinosaurs in the NHM afterwards.

Do you mean the Natural History Museum? They're right next to each other you could try darting through both! We take DS to the science bit with the experiments and the the dinosaurs in the NHM afterwards.

Yeah the natural history museum, the dinosaurs look really cool! But it says online about booking tickets for that until the 8th September- does that mean the exhibition closes or that you should book then because of the holidays?

The dinosaur exhibition is open you don't need tickets for that, not sure what the ticketed exhibition is in the NHM atm.

Natural History Museum for me, but as others have said, science museum is just around the side of the NHS (and V and A really close by too) so if you walk in and don't like it then you just go round the side to the other. All three are free as I am sure you know.

I've never been to the NHM but I love the science museum, particularly the medicine bit. For three hours I'd decide on exhibitions you want to see at both and do them both.

I've been to and absolutely loved both. For 2 adults, I would go for the NHM if you don't have enough time for both. I slightly preferred it, although both are amazing. I suppose with the Science Museum I was hoping for a bit more science, because mostly it's a (very interesting) display of items showing technological advances.

The dinos can get pretty busy in the NHM. Hidden gems: Meteorites at the back of the big rock room. A huge tank of ants in the minibeast/bug area, which is awesome. Massive fossilised/crystalised tree trunk in the entrance hall. Oh and of course hominids on the second floor, really amazing.

In the Science Museum I liked the planes :D

Thanks, the history museum sounds great, I think we will go for that - but if we get round it with time to spare we will pop into the science or v&a a well x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->