second guessing caesarean decision

April2012

I have a beautiful boy!
Reaction score
I am all scheduled for my elective caesarean next tuesday. However, I am really scared and not certain I want to go through with it. In my case, there is really no "medical" reason for me to have one. No doctor has told me I couldn't deliver vaginally (this is my first baby, by the way). I guess I tell myself that I am very narrow and small in the hips and the baby is measuring good sized...so maybe i should have one. or i tell myself that so many women end up having emergency c-sections anyway...so maybe i should just plan mine so that I have a safe (or safer) c-section. I just feel no one has really advised me unbiasedly and honestly. The doctors seem to back off from any sort of advice. I realize they probably are somewhat guarded on advising women for or against a caesarean (unless it is clearly merited they need one as in a placental abruption or breech). But I am left confused and scared and alone.

I was induced and ended up as a csection with my first child. I was told my baby was going to be a pretty good size and they wanted to induce me I then came home to get ready and I had fallen so I went on in and they induced me. I had no cervical change after I hit 5 cm dialated bc my daughter had turned her head and made my cervixs swell. Dr didn't give me any options besides a csection and I was so afraid. It is very scarry but they do keep giving you drugs through iv to keep you calm. I was so out of it I didn't rly know what was going on. I am pregnant again with my second baby and I am not doing a csection the afterward pain was so horrible for me. I have a few friends that would do a csection everytime but not me. If there isnt any medical reason to have a csection I would at least attempt a vaginal birth just my opinion. You do what you feel comfortable with. :)

I just delivered my first baby by c-section last Monday. I had no choice. I had the beginning stages of pre-eclampsia and my son was breech. If I could do it over again I would hope I could deliver vaginally. I had to wait 4 hours, without food of coarse, before the surgery. I was very nervous since it was my first major surgery, but I tried to just keep breathing and relax. When my husband was brought in to join me I could hardly breath. It felt like the baby was still pushing on the bottom of my lungs and that was horrible. I also started gagging and almost vomited. I was so nervous I honestly didn't want to see my son straight away. That was the worst feeling. I had blood pressure issues even after surgery was over and lots of heavy bleeding. They had to give me some kind of medicine to help slow the bleeding. I should have only spent an hour in recovery, but I spent I think 2 or 3. I was so out of it when I finally made it back to my room and basically didn't get to see my son til the next morning. If I could do it all over again I would pray harder for a vaginal delivery. My vote would be to at least try it first.

I had to have C-sections with both my children. I very much feel like I missed out on a special experience by not being able to birth vaginally. I wish I could have had a vaginal birth.

I delivered my baby via c-section, but I did have a trial of labour before the doctor advised a c-section (I had in my birth plan that I wanted to try delivering naturally but is open to interventions including c-section if there are good medical reasons). I was in labour for quite a while before I had the c-section, and I (thankfully) had no complications from the surgery and recovered from it fairly fast. I was glad that I tried delivering naturally, and at the same time I had no regrets or bad feelings towards having a c-section. My doula said that the contractions the baby experienced during the labour were good for the baby, and at the end the baby and I were healthy and that's all that matters to me. I agreed with MrsBurton09 that you have to do what you are comfortable with. I read up a lot on both vaginal birth and c-section birth, and that really helped me with my decision making as well as making peace with how the birth turned out. I accepted that there are risks involved in delivering a baby no matter how the baby is delivered. I also found it helpful to talk to my medical providers about my fears and worries so that they could better advise me on what to do during labour. I hope you will find the advises and guidance you need too, and good luck with your delivery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->