Second time success stories??

aragornlover8

Reaction score
I know this probably isn't a completely new question on this forum, so I apologize for any redundancy. I'm just curious how many women were unable to breastfeed their first children but were then able to with their second/third/fourth?

With Alexandra , I was four weeks early due to preclampsia. Both of us had magnesium in our systems, because I was a seizure risk (and she had absorbed a lot of it by proxy). It was hard enough to rouse her to even take a bottle, let alone latch onto a nipple. She was 5lb15oz when she was born, so the doctors and nurses were nervous about weight gain. They strongly suggested I supplement with formula. I really wish I hadn't now; I wish I'd given myself a chance for my milk to come in. But I was still pumping and breastfeeding with each feeding. I knew she wasn't really getting anything from me. A pre and post-feeding weighing confirmed that to me during a later appointment with a lactation consultant. I did what little bit of supplementation I could until she was about two months old, then it all felt so useless and time consuming that I gave up.

I'm concerned this is going to happen again. That maybe I just don't produce. My mom tried to exclusively breastfeed all of us and was unable to, so I worry that I might have some sort of hereditary disorder. My sisters never really tried to breastfeed, so I have no idea what my actual "capabilities" are.

I guess I was wondering how likely this is. Or if anyone has any kind of personal story to suggest otherwise.

Thanks for reading. I know it's a bit long-winded.

Not exactly success 2nd time around, more like 6th. With my first 4 I was the 3rd generation to bottle feed, then number 5 latched on at 4 days a was bf to 8 weeks. Number 6 is now 14 weeks and has been bf since birth, it's not been easy but we love every minute.

I didn't breastfeed my first because I couldn't get her to latch at all. I tied for the first month & expressed during that time, then switched to formula.

My second latched on minutes after being born. We're still going strong 26 months later ;)

Success story here!!

DD1 was a nightmare to breastfeed, was still losing weight 2 weeks after birth, wouldn't latch on for very long. So I ended up doing BF/pumping/formula and then formula only from 3 months.

DD2 is the opposite!! She nurses very well and is gaining weight like crazy!!

And you know what I did differently this time around?...NOTHING!!!

Every baby is different. I thought the story would repeat itself, but nope :)

My first never latched so was FF very early. Second latched, but due to absolutely no support, I had shredded nipples within a few days and at 2 weeks couldn't take the pain anymore so I put her on the bottle. 3rd time I was determined to do it right and was much more vocal in asking for help and support and it worked! Will be having #4 in a couple of months, and while I know it's not going to be easy, at least now I know that I can do it and I think just that alone, will keep me encouraged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->