Self-feeding

-Ma'Bree-

Reaction score
My dd is 17months and am totally confused about the whole self feeding thing :wacko:...at nursery since she was about 11-12mnths they let her try feed herself her yougurt which i guess she managed to get 1 or 2 spoons in her tiny mouth though most of it ended on her hair and clothes:haha: anyway during meals shes always wanting to grab the spoon and feed herself, i always do let her but all she does is poke at the food and make such a big mess :nope:..not that am complaing about the mess really only that usually 3/4 of it ends up on the floor and then when i try feed her the little left, its a horror..

anyway bottom line, i've read in a couple of threads that your LOs feed themselves around this age...is it proper self feeding-sitting on a chair spooning it properly into her mouth kind ?? HOW the frigging hell did you do it ???heeelp !!

..i def know she'd eat a whole lot more if she got it right..she's quite a poor feeder and the whole spoon feeding gets her excited and tries a lot more than if i do it. help anyone..pliz lol:shrug:

My baby is a lot younger but as we did BLW she has always self fed, but with her hands not cutlery. I guess I'll let her try cutlery when she shows interest in it. I imagine that her hands will be a lot more effective for a long time though. Does your daughter eat with her hands? Maybe let try with the cutlery and let her eat with her hands a bit too?

Tom tries to self feed him self and what I tend to do is let him hold one spoon and try it and feed him with another so he's still getting the intake that he needs :D

Just let her have her own spoon with every meal and let her have a go at feeding herself.
Are you doing BLW or spoon feeding?If youre spoon feeding like GemLou said just feed her as normal inbetween her own attempts at feeding herself.She'll figure out the spoon to mouth thing eventually.We did BLW with Ophelia so its a bit different but she's had a spoon since she was about 12 months and she's pretty good at feeding herself with a fork and spoon now,the key is just lots of practise :thumbup:
xxxxx

My baby is a lot younger but as we did BLW she has always self fed, but with her hands not cutlery. I guess I'll let her try cutlery when she shows interest in it. I imagine that her hands will be a lot more effective for a long time though. Does your daughter eat with her hands? Maybe let try with the cutlery and let her eat with her hands a bit too?

Well, yes, she eats things like fishfingers and fruits etc using her hands and always does like to stick her hands in the plate of food ( stuff like cottage pie, fish pie, rice, pasta etc ) and play with it, stir it around then messily try and put it in her mouth though most of it has fallen outta her hands by that time.

I also do always give her her own spoon and try feed her aswel but she gets sooo frustrated shez always trying to hit my spoon away..she only really does want to do it herself lol poor thing if only she knew how !:haha:

Hannah used to always eat with her hands, until we started sitting down to dinner with her. Now she has to have a spoon/fork (not the baby version!) to eat with and she does pretty well with getting it into her mouth.

oh and we put a sheet under her high chair to catch the food :rofl:

Tom tries to self feed him self and what I tend to do is let him hold one spoon and try it and feed him with another so he's still getting the intake that he needs :D

Thats what i do too but all she wants is her spoon in there..she gets upset when am throwing in a spoon here and there and throws lil tantrums in protest..usually if i go on, she grabs my spoon, when i then take hers she gets even more upset and throws everything -food and spoons all over :dohh:

It's A LOT easier for them to self feed with their hands,

I find my LO does better with a fork, we'll try the spoon later.

If I let her try the spoon I hold onto it too so she doesn't dump it everywhere :lol:

Just let her have her own spoon with every meal and let her have a go at feeding herself.
Are you doing BLW or spoon feeding?If youre spoon feeding like GemLou said just feed her as normal inbetween her own attempts at feeding herself.She'll figure out the spoon to mouth thing eventually.We did BLW with Ophelia so its a bit different but she's had a spoon since she was about 12 months and she's pretty good at feeding herself with a fork and spoon now,the key is just lots of practise :thumbup:
xxxxx

Am spoon feeding...thanks hun...practise practise practise is what ill do..i mean, she.:hugs:

oh and we put a sheet under her high chair to catch the food :rofl:

Well done Hannah !! yeah i got an splash mat aswel but trust me, my little girl likes to torture me and has a way of throwing food so it falls outside the mat on the carpet..:haha::

oh no :rofl: Luckily we have hardwood floors, I can't imagine the damage on carpet!

It's A LOT easier for them to self feed with their hands,

I find my LO does better with a fork, we'll try the spoon later.

If I let her try the spoon I hold onto it too so she doesn't dump it everywhere :lol:

:dohh: holding onto her spoon ..that might do the trick lol dnt know why i hadn't thought of that , thanks.:hugs:

oh wait i did think of that before and remember why it didnt work was because every time i held the spoon/fork, she would stop holding it properly and start holding it at the very end which then meant for her that I was leading the spoon into her mouth and would procede to rebel loool

oh no :rofl: Luckily we have hardwood floors, I can't imagine the damage on carpet!

damage is alot worse after meal is over and i lift her out the highchair and we both ignorantly procede to step/crash/trample lol on the food...:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->