Settling LO when you've tried everything??

bluebell

Proud Mummy :)
Reaction score
Last night was a toughy and I am soooo tired now. Jay has been waking approx every two hours since birth and has been relatively easy to settle most times. He seems to cry quite a bit, but more often than not it's more grumbling than a full on screaming fit...until last night that was.

He absolutely screamed his head off between about 8:30 and midnight and I tried everything...feeding, nappy change, burping, rocking, shhing etc... and I just couldn't get him to settle :( It was sooo sad to watch his little hands flailing everywhere and to see him all red in the face.

He finally dropped off for a couple of hours and then the exact same thing happened during the night only thankfully he did settle again after about an hour and a half.

He seems to be showing signs of being really windy and is a bit sicky during the day... I gave him some infacol during the night and again this morning in case it was wind keeping him awake, but how would I know if he has Colic??

He was showing obvious signs of being hungry during the screaming fit, but latching him on properly was practically impossible as he was crying so much, he'd end up gulping loads of air down and the crying / burping / feeding cycle would start again :hissy:

Has anyone got any suggestions on what I can do to settle him when he gets into that hysterical state? I want to be better prepared for next time!!

xx

Singing to him? Even through the screaming? Rocking backwards and forwards, jumping up and down, trying not to settle him but to make him happy instead? Sounds like you're trying your best, maybe you should ask a doctor if he has colic x

Hey didnt want to read and run,,
My little man has done wat ures lil one is doing now since he was 3 weeks old, we give him dentinox in his bottle through the day (This can be seringed into their mouths also) which seemed to ease him more than the infacol,
I jus assumed he had colic as he was clenchin his hands and bringing his legs up, took him to GP just to check he said just remember Colic will eventually fade out...

As all babies are different i settle my lo eventually by laying him down on our bed or on my chest and playing a song to him in which he kicked to in the womb, he then eventually drops off and i then put him into his moses basket

can u remember any songs ure lo reacted to?? may help a bit,
hope u sleep soon and Jay gets better soon.... hang in there xx

Swaddling Jack in a cellular blanket so he felt snug, then rocking whilst bouncing seemed to work for Jack. White noise is also good.

i found when nothing else works i put him in the carrier tummy to tummy and pop a pacci in. i have to put it in a few times and bounce a bit, the close contact and pacci calm him and hell nod off or it will at least break the cycle, and then u could take him out and nurse

My little man has done wat ures lil one is doing now since he was 3 weeks old, we give him dentinox in his bottle through the day (This can be seringed into their mouths also) which seemed to ease him more than the infacol,
I jus assumed he had colic as he was clenchin his hands and bringing his legs up, took him to GP just to check he said just remember Colic will eventually fade out...

What is dentinox?? I've not heard of it before.

I'll definately ring the GP tomorrow if Jay's the same tonight (I'm so praying it was a one off :lol:!!)

xx

Lola-Rose was about 2 weeks when she was going through a short phase of crying badly.
Her tummy seemed quite upset and she even refused to eat or sleep.
I massaged her slightly and put her to bed with me...sang a melody,shut the lights etc.
In the end she would cry for about 2 hours but finally set herself.

What is dentinox?? I've not heard of it before.

I'll definately ring the GP tomorrow if Jay's the same tonight (I'm so praying it was a one off :lol:!!)

xx

Its similar to infacol can buy it in supermarkets its in a green and white box, think its just a different make, works for my little man much better than infacolxx

My lil man is the same, Ive tried infacol etc. Nothing will settle his tummy. Just got colief from doc on friday told to try it for 4 days if nothing improves to come back. Poor lil mite i know what you mean about looking at there lil faces and wondering what you can do to help. 2 days in with this and not improving but will hold our and see!!

Hopefully things will ease hunni XxX

:hugs:babbie are very cleaver maybe he nos that your going to pick him up and thats why he crys ???? i never pick harry up as soon as he crys ,also if your stressed they can sence that. talk to your hv maybe she can help if he has wind .

am luckey as harry is very good and winding , what bottles do you use or maybe try a differnt baby milk ???:hugs::hugs:

My lil man is the same, Ive tried infacol etc. Nothing will settle his tummy. Just got colief from doc on friday told to try it for 4 days if nothing improves to come back. Poor lil mite i know what you mean about looking at there lil faces and wondering what you can do to help. 2 days in with this and not improving but will hold our and see!!

Hopefully things will ease hunni XxX

I'm praying he has a better night tonight, but he's been mellow and sleeping most of the day which will probably mean we're in for more of the same tonight :(

If he is the same tonight I'll defo ring my HV tomorrow and ask about colic and Colief. What is colief? Is it only available on prescription?

Hope Jacob gets better soon :hug: (and we both get some well deserved sleep!! :sleep:)

xx

You can buy it from boots. But costs 9.99 if it works you can get it on prescription. I got mine from doc but got told if i run out it avilable there :) So if you can get to a midnight pharcamy now then nip and get some. Its supposed to be the best thing out of all of them to give....well things you can buy over the counter anyway....so going to keep trying it and see if it works. Even tho he still crying all day etc. His wind has eased a bit and doesnt seem to be as bad so finger crossed . And doc said give it a few days to work so you never know :)

Hopefully tonight will be better. Ive had 2-3hours sleep each night for past 2 weeks and about an hour nap in the day .....:( im a walking zombie!!! XxxX

:hugs:babbie are very cleaver maybe he nos that your going to pick him up and thats why he crys ???? i never pick harry up as soon as he crys ,also if your stressed they can sence that. talk to your hv maybe she can help if he has wind .

am luckey as harry is very good and winding , what bottles do you use or maybe try a differnt baby milk ???:hugs::hugs:

Because Jay is still so young I do want to respond to him when he starts crying properly, although I do often ignore the odd whimper, especially when he's asleep.

I'm breastfeeding at the mo and thought that BF babies are less windy, but I was obviously wrong!! :lol:

I'll defo speak to HV tomorrow if he has another really bad night.

xx

You can buy it from boots. But costs 9.99 if it works you can get it on prescription. I got mine from doc but got told if i run out it avilable there :) So if you can get to a midnight pharcamy now then nip and get some. Its supposed to be the best thing out of all of them to give....well things you can buy over the counter anyway....so going to keep trying it and see if it works. Even tho he still crying all day etc. His wind has eased a bit and doesnt seem to be as bad so finger crossed . And doc said give it a few days to work so you never know :)

Hopefully tonight will be better. Ive had 2-3hours sleep each night for past 2 weeks and about an hour nap in the day .....:( im a walking zombie!!! XxxX

Cheers hun, I'll defo bear that in mind!! I think there is a midnight pharmacy but it's about 25 miles away, but worth the drive if he really won't stop crying (there's nothing worse!! :( ) I only started Jay on infacil in the middle if last night so it will be interesting to see if that has any effect on his wind??

I know what you mean about being a walking zombie. I've had a couple of nights where I've had about 5ish hours broken sleep but the average is about 3 - 4 hours!! I used to be a good sleeper (at least 9 hours a night) so I'm not sure how I'm functioning at the mo :rofl: I think I'm in autopilot!!

xx

Infacol gave jacob really bad poo's really running and squirty because of one of the igredients in it. But that might just be him anyway hope it works let us know :) XxxX

Don't be afraid to sleep with your LO on your chest if it helps. If it's wind, sometimes the more upright position can help.

Hi hun, Bless ya..... i have nights with Rihanna like this and I share your frustration n feelings on watching them struggle...

I find that a warm bath as eased Rihanna on so many occasions when she as in consolable colic.... yep i have bathed her in the early hours lol x

i also swear by Dentinox and ASDA defo sell it, boots dont and superdrug dont!! I tried infacol but it didnt help her... but all babies are different hey.

Over my shoulder generally settles her too... hope this helps hun xxx

Don't be afraid to sleep with your LO on your chest if it helps. If it's wind, sometimes the more upright position can help.

Cheers hun :hugs: I've actually spent quite a few nights sleeping (sort of :lol:) on my nursing chair to keep Jay upright and because I had a c-section, was too sore at the start to keep getting up out of bed :( Luckily I'm not so sore now, but Jay does seem to sleep better if he's not lying flat!!

xx

Is he a bit congested? My LO was like this when she had a cold but to be honest i didn't really realise (she didn't have a snotty nose), she had always sounded a little icky in the chest since she was born and the HV said it was just the fluidy stuff and is quite normal. But obviously not as she was congested and despite being hungry and trying to latch on she couldn't breathe at the same time, and would get sooo frustrated and worked up.

Anyways to cut to the point lol, i was given saline drops i put one drop up her nose before each feed and it worked like magic!

Is he a bit congested? My LO was like this when she had a cold but to be honest i didn't really realise (she didn't have a snotty nose), she had always sounded a little icky in the chest since she was born and the HV said it was just the fluidy stuff and is quite normal. But obviously not as she was congested and despite being hungry and trying to latch on she couldn't breathe at the same time, and would get sooo frustrated and worked up.

Anyways to cut to the point lol, i was given saline drops i put one drop up her nose before each feed and it worked like magic!

I've actually been wondering about this and will definately ask HV about it!! Jay has been quite mucasy since birth (apparently due to c-section??) and has been sounding a bit blocked up today. He has also been sneezing so maybe he has picked up a cold :(

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->