severe spd - vaginal birth?

I suffer very bad and am on crutches. Ive had 2 other children vaginally and I must say that after the birth within hours I felt an improvement with my SPD

Wow thats good to know and glad u felt better after :)

Mine isnt too bad yet but ive only had it a few weeks and i can feel it getting worse :(

xx

I found this on another forum, I'm none the wiser...

"I didn't have any signs of SPD during my pregnancy, but had diastasis of the pubic symphysis during delivery and couldn't walk for weeks. I now still have pain, clicking in the joints and pelvic instability, but 7 weeks after birth it's bearable and I can at least take care of the baby. Chiropractic care has been amazing and I believe has really sped along the recovery process. Before I saw the chiro, nobody I saw could even tell me what was wrong with me. I thought I might be unable to walk for the rest of my life!
I'd recommend doing whatever you can to avoid diastasis, because the damage can be permanent. My midwife suggested using the squatting position to give birth (although I've read elsewhere that this may increase the risk), getting an early induction at 39 weeks or doing a c-section. I'm terrified that the DSP would happen again, so I'd probably end up going witha c-section if I ever get pregnant with a second. I can't imagine taking care of two kids and being so immobile. I'm also quite an active person - horseback riding instructor, travel writer - so losing mobility in my legs has had a big affect on my life in general. Hoping it gets back to 'normal' over the coming months."

I was borderline between having severe SPD and a total DSP with my first pregnancy. I was on complete bed rest and had to use a wheelchair to get to my hospital appointments but still managed a vaginal delivery. Delivering vaginally actually helps to re-align your pelvis.

Hi I'm also under consultant cause ov SPD, I asked my consultant abt having a c section and she said they will not give me one but has agreed to induce me @ 38/39 wks with it bn solo bad.... Physio has said I will need physio input after baby is ere
:(....keep us up date Hun

Hi, ive just found out i have spd too - dont know much about it (apart from the agonising pain im in)! I was having a planned c-section anyway, will I still be able to have that or will they make me give birth naturally? (I have had 2 previous sections) x

Hi, ive just found out i have spd too - dont know much about it (apart from the agonising pain im in)! I was having a planned c-section anyway, will I still be able to have that or will they make me give birth naturally? (I have had 2 previous sections) x

DOUBT they change your plans, dont think its better either way. Who knows. :flower::kiss:

aw bless u, its a horrible thing. My sister had the worst case her midwife, doc and physio had ever known (in 2nd pregnancy she needed crutches and even wheel chair by the end) and she had two normal deliveries. Due to the over release of relaxin i suppose it may help in some ways but i could just be making that part up lol. I hope u are ok, and get the birth u want.

Hi, just randomly dropped by 3rd tri and saw your post...I had such bad spd that I was also on crutches for the last 2 weeks (lo was also a week early so god knows what I'd have been like if he'd stayed put) and they were discussing induction because I was in such a bad way. Was all over the place during labour and honestly cannot remember the pain from my spd at all. In fact it was almost back to normal a few days afterwards and even the next day I could walk short distances without my crutches.

It was suggests to me to loop a piece of string around my knees, then open your legs as wide as they can go without too much pain. Then tie it. Take this with you to hospital so that if you need stirrups they know how far your legs can go apart, iykwim?

Hope that helps? Good luck with everything, happy to help if you have any future questions :) x

I am suffering horrendous SPD currently on morphine and perm bed rest! I had consultant appointment today and I was a hysterical wreck with a huge list of questions and concerns! Apparently it's better/easier to actually five birth as your pelvis is wider that someone without spd! U have to be careful on positions as in not led on back and becareful not to overstretch legs but def doable and my hosp won't consider csec for SPD due to the after effects! Ur spd doesn't instantly go so u will have spd pain plus a csec which isn't going to be good at all! I wanted to avoid a csec if I could and still obviously do! I'm bring induced early due to the morphine and risks and my severe pain but a big plan is in place for me to do it the safest way for me yet hopefully gets for baby
Lou
Xxx

Hi,
I had a csection 3 years ago due to severe SPD, I was on crutches and couldn't do anything for myself by 34 weeks, so the consultant agreed to induce me at 37 weeks. However when I went in, and they realised that I couldn't even open my legs enough for them to examine me, nevermind get a pessary in etc, the consultant said that I could have a section because of it. After the birth, the pain was still there until my hormones levelled out but it was easier because you dont have the added weight of the baby, placenta, waters etc all pressing down onto the pelvic joints.

I will say that my clicking hips and pain never fully went away, and was always aggravated around a week before my period.

This time..it started at 11 weeks, and I am currently on crutches and finding it even more painful than last time. I have also been told that because it never went away, there is the possibility (and the physios seem to think so) that I have an actual problem with my hip joints that isnt pregnancy related. SOOOO I have opted for another csection instead of a VBAC, purely because I am SO scared of there being a problem and I do some damage to my pelvis or hips.

I have heard that SPD can help with childbirth because the pelvis is looser, and if you can find a comfortable position for labouring then I would def give it a try - unfortunately for me, I cant even kneel because of my silly hips!

Good Luck! :D

morag99, oh my god, you have it severe! So sorry and thanks for sharing! Women should get a 100% payrise because its thanks to them all these ppl are walking around in the streets! I can't believe the suffering it can cause, was blind to this before getting pregnant. :flower::kiss:

Hi again..
just spoken to my sister about her SPD (like i'd said before, she had it very bad - worst case the profs in her care had seen). She had 2 vaginal births. She was told that having laboured naturally, her hormones wud go back to normal quicker and she had almost immediate relief (some - not all) after the births. Whereas with C-section they can take a while to adjust.

I went to c consultant on Wednesday an I'm getting induced this fri 17th..I will b 38+4....I'm sooooo nerves as I struggle to open my legs :(.I will keep all u ladies posted with how it goes...as I'm sure I will b doing a thread on it..good luck ladies

I suffer awfully with spd an sciatica and my physio tol me they really encourage a vaginal birth and spd does not affect it, I'm going to use the pool if I can as when I have hydrotherapy it seems to really help, it's not too late to buy a body pillow my one is really helping ( had it 2 days) and wish I got it sooner it could of made it less of a struggle

Water births are usually suggested for SPD as well (so i've heard). This makes me happy because I want one anyway, and now there's very little reason for me to NOT get one, :happydance:

If you actually go into labour naturally, or are able to be induced, I *think* the painkiller hormones kind of kill the spd, and that's why you don't really feel it in labour. I had it very mild last pregnancy, whereas this one I have trouble getting out of bed most days, or really doing much of anything.

Mmm? my sister was advised against a birth pool as with severe SPD it could lead u into a false sense of security - cus u cud dislocate whilst supported by the water but when u get out ur buggered (lol her words), and the midwives wouldn't be able to support u as effectively either.
However, its ur birth and they can only advise...but my sister thinks its important to just go with the flow

she's grateful for the epidural tho - she got 'sensitive epidural' the second time which allowed her to have some movement but no pain in the hips. Got her through it

im not planning an epidural, i think having the needle right where my nerves spasm would make it worse, but im shocked they told her they dont advise water birth, considering hydrotherapy is given as a treatment :S

I was told I could've used the pool as long as my spd wasnt so bad I couldn't get myself in or out if needed! Bearing in mind I was on crutches they were still ok with it! However I would say that once I was in full blow labour, I could move around much better than before, and That labour kind of took over any pain I had in my hips! Iykwim!

I'm not sure I understand the dislocation theory; It's technically already dislocated, isn't that what causes the pain? having an unstable pelvis? :shrug: Everything I've read has said that water births are highly recommended for people with SPD, but I guess like most things it's dependent on where you live and your midwife/hospital etc.

On that note, my hospital has birthing pools with doors, :haha: so they're like jacuzzi tubs, but with doors like old people bath tubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->