Sexual behaviour?

TwoMummies

Expecting a baby girl :)
Reaction score
Don't want to go into too much detail on here (mainly to prevent identifying the other child involved ) but really need some advice on dealing with a serious problem.

My son is 7 and has some severe behavioural problems, he suffers from Autism, ADHD and severe global development delay. He is basically a 2 year in a 7 year old's body :(

Anyway he has recently started showing sexual behaviour, exploring his genitals, exposing them etc. Nothing that concerns me too much, he seems to have just noticed a difference between boys and girls and is showing interest.

The big concern is he attempted to look at another child's genitals, as I said can't go into detail but it was pretty forcefull and the other child was very distressed. I feel awfull about it.

How do you stop a child from doing this who can't understand why this is wrong? Is this a normal behaviour for a child with my son's needs to show?

I'm dreading the teenage years now!

Sometimes it's best to work with a therapy. I think most kids at that age are curious though.

Most kids, special needs or not, are curious. I wouldn't assume it's sexual just because he's checking out his genitals. At this age [corrected age of 2] it's no different than a knee or a belly button.

I would remind him to check them out in his room and to keep his privates covered by his underwear around other people.

My nephew was 6-7 when he got very interested in his "boy parts" it wasn't sexual. Even if he was typical.

It sounds like pretty normal behaviour to me, and because he has behaviour issues, he could have been forceful...so I would speak to him about that. If another person says no, that means no. Exploring your own genitals is not only normal, but healthy. My kids are 6 and 8 and there has been some "I will show you mine if you show me yours" and of course they touch themselves!!! Who doesn't?! I think that if you have been raised to think of that is 'dirty' or 'wrong' it can be hard to get past that...but, do your research and don't pass your issues to your child. I used to be like that too, so I feel for you. But, I have a friend who is a sex educator...and I have learned ALOT. I am not quite as open as her...but I have loosened up somewhat. There is lots of good books out there.

My brother has autism he's 15 now. He has always been very sexual from about the age of 6 he would always hump the floor at school. The teacher gave my mum some books about being private they didn't really help till he was 11 because he didn't understand anything before then. From about 13 he comes out of his room with an erection even If were having a BBQ or something he does it less now after slot of tellin him not to. It's so hard with autism because you can't see it so people just assume things. It's completely normal to be very sexual when you has autism

My brother has autism he's 15 now. He has always been very sexual from about the age of 6 he would always hump the floor at school. The teacher gave my mum some books about being private they didn't really help till he was 11 because he didn't understand anything before then. From about 13 he comes out of his room with an erection even If were having a BBQ or something he does it less now after slot of tellin him not to. It's so hard with autism because you can't see it so people just assume things. It's completely normal to be very sexual when you has autism

My daughter has autism and she doesn't have sexual behaviour...well, nothing abnormal. But, did you know that many children who have autism need to feel close to something, and they often lay close to the floor for comfort. It's a 'stim' really. With help and social stories, I think that most children who have autism can learn what behaviour is appropriate in public and what is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->