Sharing Difficult News with Your Kids

yellowglow

Reaction score
Hi!

I have just found out that I may have MS, but I dont have an official diagnosis yet. I have not told my children because I am afraid about worrying them. I have a teen and a 10 year old. I know eventually they will need to know, but is it too soon since I don't know for sure. They know I am not feeling well, but have no idea why. Does anyone have tips for sharing difficult information like this?

I wouldn't go into full details about the MS because as you say it isn't a definite diagnosis yet.

You could maybe just talk to them about how you're feeling a little unwell at the moment and that you're having tests to try to find out why and will keep them in the loop.

Sorry you're not well, the idea of MS must be scary especially with having kids. I hope your results come back soon and wish you the best.

My mum passed away when my youngest brother was 5 and I was 21, we kept it from him for a few days letting him stay at family's house and saying mum was poorly. When we told him he told us off for not telling him earlier. I think it's hard to see that kids understand more than we expect and need to be kept informed too.

Really sorry you are going through this. Hope they can find out soon if it is MS or not.

I agree with pp.

As there is no official diagnosis yet I wouldn't mention the MS but say that you are feeling really poorly and are having tests to find out why.
I would keep them in the loop and once you know for sure I would tell them straight up what it is and how it's going to affect you/the family.

I agree . I would wait until u know for certain and then keep it truthful but simple . Answer any questions they have if u can and if u can't don't lie or hide things.

Thank you guys. A month is a long time to wait.. but it is probably best that I wait for a definite answer. For now I am telling them I am not well and try to rest when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->