She lost weight

25weeker

Reaction score
Well as I suspected Holly has lost 4oz in the past 4 weeks and now only weighs 14lb 8oz. The HV said that it's quite common for babies around holly's age to go off food as they are exploring but we need to keep an eye on it.

I am aware of all the things to do to add calories but it's no good when she clamps her mouth shut and refuses everything. At the moment she is dosed with the cold so probably not helping the situation. Today was a particularly bad day. Started well and she ate her weetabix no problem but refused lunch even finger food. Managed to get her to eat a yogurt but she got all bunged up choked on the phlegm and vomited everywhere. The only solid food she ate after that was an ellas kitchen fruit puree because she could suck that out of it's pouch. Tonight she ate 1/2 yogurt, baby bel and some dry rice krispies.

She has been taking breast milk but I am beginning to wonder is this the problem because she has spent most of the day pulling at my jumper wanting milk but won't eat food!

She is 15 months actual on Sunday and 1 corrected in a fortnight. Before she was a great eater and happily ate most things including lumps. Anyone have an older prem who done this?

I am totally stressing as she can't afford to lose anymore weight.

Obviously can't offer advice but didn't want to read and run. Hope some of the other ladies have suggestions for you and Holly :hugs:

I coulkd have written the post myself! Erin is 15 1/2 months actual / 13 1/2 corrected and weighs about 14lb 8oz too. She too has been plagued with coughs and colds and most recently rsv when she was hospitalized. She's now home on o2 as they think her small lungs may mean ahe's working harder to breath and one of the by products of this is burning loads more calories! Obviously Erin's case is different but there are so many similarities, she goes right off food when ill and if i force the issue we too get vomit. When well Erin puts on ok but she looses when unwell and it drives me mad! Erin has a good dietician who has put her on loads of high cal foods and drinks which will hopefully help. She has also said not to worry about lumps and go back to puree's after illness as her confidence will need built again! It is really difficult but try to focus on how well she's doing. And remember that at the age their at weight gain also slows down and their so much more active so we are truly fighting a difficult battle! Let me know how you get on.

Thanks these little ones like to cause is stress!

Unfortunately I can't blame it all on sickness as she has been like this for about 3 weeks and only had the cold 5 days. Think with her sickness though there is no chance it getting better. Hoping she gets over her cough soon and starts eating again otherwise her 3-6 month clothes will be so baggy but needed for the length!

Hi there, I can totally sympathise with you. My dd is the same if she gets sick, goes right off her food and vomits too if there is phlem and mucus especially at the back of her throat. She also seems to go off food too when her teeth are bothering her (which sometimes hard to tell). Her dietician said this can me becasue she wants to be in control of putting the food in her mouth if its sore. She does always get back into her eating so I am sure your dd will too once she gets her appetite back, try to hang in there! I was worried sick myslf over this but now when she goes off food I just give her what she wants and try to remember its because she not feeling 100%. Sometimes when they are sick they want milk more, just depends. My dd is on Infatrini which is a high calorie milk, it really helps cos I know whatever milk she gets its got extra calories and protein etc. Keep at it, XXXXXXX

Don't stress it. We went through exactly the same and do so on a regular basis.

She WILL eat when she is hungry and if it comes down to it, you can always get a supplement for her.

Great that she is taking breastmilk as at least there are some good nutrients getting in to her. If she has sore gums, the ellas kitchen pouches and breastmilk are probably the only thing comfortable to eat. Have you tried her with soups and stuff?

The other thing is, can she feed herself at all with the spoon. Abby went through a phase of not wanting us to give her the spoon stuff, she just wanted to do it herself.

Took Holly to the doctors today as she has now had a cold for 4 weeks and they have given her some antibiotics as she thinks she needs a little help fighting it. I went into the HV office to see if she was there and make an appointment to weigh her again as I thought she had lost more weight. She said she would weigh her there and then. Unfortunately my instincts where right and she lost another 3oz :cry: She has now dropped from 14lb 10oz to 14lb 3oz in the last 6 weeks.

My concern was she isn't great at putting weight on anyway so even eating better she has a lot of catching up to do. Thankfully she agreed with me and said she would speak to the doctor to get her referred to a dietician and hopefully they will supplement her with something. 2 hours later she rang me back and the doctor has agreed to referring her :happydance:

I am relieved my HV agreed to do something because at her 1 year check up at the hospital last week they wanted to wait and see how she was is in 3 months time!

I hope the antibiotics help her feel much better soon :hugs:

Fingers crossed you get a dietician appt through fairly quickly so they can help with high calorie foods or supplements etc.That's really good that it sounds like your HV is on the ball and listens :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->