Shock 3rd pregnancy, could meds have harmed little squiggle?

jenthough178

David - 29 DF
Reaction score
Hi all, it's been a while since i've been on here! Tbqh i didn't think i'd be back either, we'd decided after birth of DS in 2011 that we'd like to try for a girl, DD was born 23 months later, and now, as she is 10 months old, i found out the day before christmas eve that i was again expecting. Bit of background history might be needed.

My OH became very ill about a month after DD was born, within a couple of months and after several unsuccessful trips to the doctors where we were fobbed off, i dragged him to A&E where he was admitted on arrival, and 10 days later after immuno-suppressant steroids and a whole host of other medications, had his colon removed and a stoma placed. that was around 7 months ago. After surgery he had infections in the wounds resulting in open wound sites that needed daily dressing and cleaning, and has been left with a permanent open wound that will not heal over until he has the reconnective surgery. currently waiting to have some tests and scans to look into the possibility of a reversal so he can have the stoma removed.

So as you can imagine, things have been a little stressful, and what with his pain, medications, painkillers, lack of time with two small children, hospital appointments, nursery, another baby was the last thing on my agenda! So finding out i was just over 5 weeks pregnant a few weeks back was a complete shock.

My main issue at the moment, is that when OH was admitted to hospital, i started to come out in a rash, which i put down the eczema which i suffered with as a child. started out as a small round patch on one of my wrists, didnt think much of it. I didnt pay much attention to it, until i noticed myself scratching many other parts of my body, and on inspection, noticed many more of these generally round red, scaly patches of unbearably itchy skin on my arms. Over the course of the last 7 months this skin condition has spread across my entire body, arms, shoulders, back, stomach, thighs, calves, shins, hands, fingers, you name it. it is everywhere, and UNBEARABLY itchy and sore. I have been to the doctors 4 times, where i was constantly told eczema, put it down to stress, had it as a baby, blah blah. given steriods and emolients etc. i ended up going to an emergency walk-in clinic after my doctor refused to give me an appointment sooner than 3 weeks away, as the patches on my thighs (around 6 inches in diameter, about 4 on each leg) were so painful that it was causing me problems walking. doctor there took one look at me and told me it was ringworm, prescribed a cream to tide me over til i could get an emergency appointment with my own gp and gave me some info on it, explaining i'd probably need a long course of oral medication to get rid of it, because it was so widespread.

managed to get a gp appointment, i told her what the doc at walk-in said, and she agreed 100% and put me on griseofulvin, told me to get a liver function test done and prescribed an ointment. it was after 3 weeks of this medication that i found out i was pregnant. really quite worried, because i have been told and have heard that these kinds of meds can be dangerous for unborn babies. has anyone had any experience of anything like this?? any advice? i spoke to the doc and all he said was stop taking the tablets, the cream was fine to use and ante-natal will probably just do more frequent scans to check progress etc.

i can't help worrying though, the doc was hardly very reassuring about it :/ any thoughts?? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->